To create a Posting, first complete the information on this screen,
then click the “Next” button or select the page in the left hand
navigation menu. Proceed through all sections completing all
necessary information. To submit the Posting to Human Resources,
you must go to the “Posting Summary Page” by clicking on the “Next”
button until you reach the Posting Summary Page or select Posting
Summary Page from the left navigation menu. Once a summary page
appears, hover your mouse over the orange Action button for a list
of possible approval step options.
Plumbing Mechanic (1st or 2nd Shift)
1st shift Mon-Fri 6:30AM-3:00PM
2nd shift Wed-Sat 12:30PM-11:00PM
Hours per Week
Months per Year
Commitment to Inclusive Excellence
Northern Kentucky University is an Equal Opportunity/Equal
Access/Affirmative Action institution. We embrace inclusiveness,
equity, and global awareness in all dimensions of our work and seek
excellence through diversity among our students, administrators,
faculty, and staff. Application by members of diverse groups is
Purpose of Position
Provides customer service to the University community in the form
of repairs, installations, modifications, and preventive
maintenance involving piping systems, plumbing fixtures, equipment,
Maintains systems and equipment that affect the University’s fire
protection and health/ life safety including, but not limited to,
gas lines, sprinkler lines, swimming pool chemicals, sewage
disposal, fire pumps, and fire hydrants.
Work schedules including days & hours are subject to change
depending on the needs of the University and the Facilities
Management Operations & Maintenance Department. This position
is “mission critical”.
1. Safely install, service, maintain, regulate, repair, and replace
water, sewage, drainage, air, gas, and vacuum systems and related
equipment in accordance with state and local codes.
2. Follow a predetermined schedule of preventive maintenance on
plumbing and gas systems and equipment. Review related documents
and evaluate compliance with standards and codes. Analyze systems
or components and recommend proper corrective actions when needed.
Perform other related duties.
3. Install, connect, and test plumbing fixtures such as urinals,
water closets, wash basins, sinks, drinking fountains, compressed
air fixtures, water heaters, sterilizers, washers, swimming pool
systems, mixing valves, water softeners, grease pits, and special
4. Safely use all tools of the plumbing trade including but not
limited to soldering and brazing equipment, cutting torches, pipe
wrenches, electric drills, drill presses, pipe threaders, and sewer
machines. Inspects equipment and tools to ensure they are safe and
in good working order. Report malfunctioning equipment to
5. Participates as needed in the state inspections of sprinkler
systems, and fire pumps.
6. Responds to emergency trouble calls during and after regular
working hours as required by supervisory personnel.
7. Adjusts working hours and/or works overtime as needed on
weekends, evenings, and other hours outside normal schedules as
required by supervisory personnel to meet the needs of the
8. Safely uses ladders, scaffolds, and personnel lifts.
9. Interpret plans, sketches, plumbing diagrams, and
specifications; identify all plumbing terms and symbols.
10. Perform related duties as assigned and assist other trades as
MUST RESPOND WHEN CALLED FOR AFTER - HOURS EMERGENCY
Vocational/Technical certification in plumbing, welding, or related
fields with 3 years of experience is required.
Acceptable equivalency would be a high school diploma/ GED with 5
years of related experience in a similar environment or plumbing
proficiency as demonstrated by past work history. Must
1. valid driver’s license;
2. License to perform testing of backflow preventers (if not
already licensed, must be able to obtain license within 2 years of
3. basic computer skills;
4. ability to communicate clearly both orally and written;
5. ability to work with various types of related equipment
including, but not limited to, chemicals, parts washers, welders,
metal lathes, cutters, grinders, chop saws, concrete coring
machines, pipe threaders, drill presses, pressure jetting machines,
pumps, hydraulic jacks, hot water tanks, etc.;
6. ability to stand, walk, stoop, reach, pull, kneel, push, work in
confined spaces, and perform work above head level for extended
periods of time;
7. perform medium heavy and maximum physical exertion and lift up
to 50 lbs or more on a regular basis.
Any candidate chosen for this position will be required to undergo
a pre-employment criminal background check as mandated by state
High School Diploma
Technical School Certificate
Posting Detail Information
Job Open Date
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled
Is this an internal only posting?
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Documents Needed to Apply
- * Do you have a valid driver's license and are you permitted to
drive without restrictions?
- * Please describe in detail your plumbing experience.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Please list any licenses or certifications you might have
that are directly related to this position.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Do you possess the ability perform medium heavy to maximum
physical exertion and to lift 50 lbs. or more on a regular basis?
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application