Founding Physician Assistant Program Director and Department Chair
Carroll College, in partnership with the national search firm, Scott Healy & Associates, invites applications and nominations for the position of Founding Physician Assistant (PA) Program Director and Department Chair. The program director is a full-time, 12-month faculty and administrative appointment. The program director will report directly to the Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs (SVPAA).
- The ideal candidate will have the background and experience to lead the development of a high-quality curriculum that is consistent with ARC-PA Standards and will lead to successful graduates. In addition, the director will recruit and hire a high quality, diverse team of faculty and staff.
Enrollment Planning and Management
- The director will be responsible for recruitment and selection of qualified students and for operationalizing the curriculum through development of semester schedules and faculty assignments according to their expertise. The director will work closely with Carroll’s admissions and marketing teams, ensuring the program maintains a positive national profile that is attractive to prospective applicants/students.
Budget Planning, Development and Management
- The director is responsible for prioritizing and communicating budgetary and other resource needs to the Carroll administration and responsibly managing the allocated budget. The director also supports Carroll’s Office of Institutional Advancement as they seek to secure additional fiscal resources for the program.
Manage Program Affairs
- The director will oversee the day-to-day operations of the PA program including supervision of the medical director, faculty and staff. The director will ensure timely and appropriate internal and external communications. In addition, the director will develop and maintain ongoing program evaluation and outcomes assessment processes consistent with ARC-PA Standards.
Provide Academic, Personal and Professional Leadership
- The director will mentor faculty and staff to facilitate their personal and professional growth and advancement including encouraging excellence in teaching, scholarship and service. The director will be responsible for fostering team-work, high morale, and a positive workplace for program personnel.
Provide Student Service
- The director will ensure students are aware of program and institutional policies and responsibilities and address any deviations or concerns. The director will facilitate student access to institutional and community resources as needed.
Represent the Program to External and Internal Constituencies
- The director will work with college administration and colleagues to develop and maintain a strong reputation for the PA program within the institution, region and the PA profession. The director will represent the program to internal and external constituencies in a positive and professional manner.
- Minimum of a master’s degree (doctorate preferred);
- Certified Physician Assistant/Associate (PA);
- Three years of full-time higher education experience at the time of appointment; and
- Eligible for licensure as a PA in the State of Montana.
About Carroll College:
Carroll College is a leading liberal arts college in the American West. Carroll’s campus, featuring iconic gothic, Romanesque architecture, rests on 63 acres at the edge of downtown and historic Helena, the capital city of Montana. The surrounding beauty of the Rocky Mountains and Montana fosters wonder and awe, giving the perfect backdrop to a worldly education. The Carroll campus is less than two miles from over 1 million acres of National Forest and recreational opportunities.
A commitment to excellence is foundational to learning at Carroll. As an academically prestigious institution, Carroll demands the best from its students and upholds the dual goal of vocation and enlightenment. Students are challenged to pursue universal knowledge, not merely information or skills. The College instills an enduring wonder for knowledge that prepares students for leadership in a chosen profession, while simultaneously encouraging and expecting an integration of knowledge through broad formation in a variety of academic disciplines. Carroll’s leadership, faculty, and staff are intentional about cultivating virtue, communication skills, and leadership qualities that lead to a transformative, beautiful life journey – all reasons why Carroll College enjoys the distinction of holding the U.S. News and World Report rank of the #2 Regional College in the West and has been #1 or #2 for the last 12 years.
Founded in 1909, Carroll College warmly embraces its identity as a diocesan, Catholic college, and the centuries-old Catholic Intellectual Tradition. Carroll represents a beacon of light in the culture, welcoming all persons of good will in a cooperative journey toward knowledge and virtue.
About Helena, Montana:
Situated in west-central Montana, and surrounded by the Rocky Mountains and the Helena-Lewis and Clark National Forest. Helena is a vibrant community with outstanding activities and events for everyone to enjoy, from local theatre productions, to arts festivals, to local shopping in historic downtown, to rodeos or music events. Helena is also home to the historic Gothic Cathedral of St. Helena which has been ranked as one of the most beautiful cathedrals in the United States.
Helena is known as a world-class outdoor recreation destination; National Geographic ranks Helena in the Top 20 Mountain Biking Town, Great Values College places Carroll College at #33 in their Great Affordable Colleges for Outdoor Enthusiasts list, and ranks Helena #27 on their Top 100 Best Places to Live. Helena is home to a number of popular trail runs and the Governor’s Cup Marathon. You’ll find more than 75 miles of hiking and biking trails just minutes from Carroll’s campus, and Helena is in close proximity to the Continental Divide Trail, natural hot springs, Great Divide Ski Area, three large lakes, world class fly fishing, and the Missouri River. Yellowstone National Park and Glacier National Park are also just a few hours away.
Application and Nomination Process:
All correspondence relating to the position of Founding Physician Assistant Program Director and Department Chair at Carroll College should be directed in confidence to the College’s executive search consultant:
Mr. Jamie Marcus, Vice President
Scott Healy & Associates
A complete application should include the following:
- Cover Letter outlining your interest and qualifications for the position;
- Updated CV;
- Three (3) professional references with contact information, title, institutional affiliation, email address and direct phone numbers. (No references will be contacted without written permission from the candidate.) Finalists for the position will be asked to provide a written response to Carroll College’s mission statement, which can be found here: https://www.carroll.edu/mission-catholic-identity/mission-statement.
Applications received by June 15, 2023 will receive priority consideration. The search will remain open until the position is filled.
Carroll College is an equal opportunity employer, committed to compliance with state and federal anti-discrimination laws, including Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972. Acts of discrimination, harassment, sexual misconduct, and retaliation are prohibited and will be addressed consistent with this policy.