The Financial Aid Advisor II conducts student need analysis,
performs federal verifications and packaging of student aid,
certifies federal loan eligibility, provides financial aid
counseling, makes complex professional judgment decisions regarding
student aid eligibility and facilitates problem solving with
students and parents.
Florida Gulf Coast University is committed to establishing and
maintaining an inclusive working and learning environment in which
students, faculty, administrators, staff, curriculum, social
activities, governance, and all other aspects of the campus life
reflect a diverse, multi-cultural, and international
At FGCU, we collectively stand against any individual or group that
practices any form of racism, discrimination, intolerance, hate
expressions, or disrespect. We are committed to preparing students
to understand, live among, appreciate, and work in an inherently
diverse country and world made up of people with different ethnic
and racial backgrounds, religious beliefs, abilities, ages, gender
identities, sexual orientations, socio-economic status, cultural
traditions, family statuses, and military backgrounds. FGCU strives
to hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just
because it’s the right thing to do, but because it makes our
University stronger. The University community recognizes the
importance of a diverse and inclusive institution and holds these
ideals as paramount for the current and future success of the
We seek colleagues who promote and embrace diversity, equity, and
inclusion. We encourage individuals from diverse backgrounds to
apply for this position as we believe that our University will grow
and move forward through a commitment of equality for all.
Typical duties may include but are not limited to:
- Conducts needs analysis, interprets, applies, and explains
complex regulations in compliance with federal criteria to
determine the relative eligibility of each financial aid applicant
to award federal student aid.
- Guides students through the submission process for professional
judgement exceptions, appeals, and petitions in accordance with
federal statutes. Collaborates with supervisor on unique
- Conducts verification of student and parent application data in
compliance with federal criteria.
- Assures compliance with Title IV Federal regulations in
addition to state regulations in regards to delivery of funds to
- Verifies the accuracy of information provided on applications
for federal and/or state aid programs.
- Determines the types and amounts of financial aid to be awarded
through the packaging process according to federal, state and
- Monitors individual student awards. Resolves data conflicts and
- Guides student through the submission process for professional
judgment exceptions, appeals and petitions in accordance with
federal statutes. Collaborates with Team Manager and Assistant
Director on complex cases.
- Provides financial aid counseling to students and their
families. Makes necessary referrals to other student service
- Provides support to students experiencing family, personal or
economic crises which may impact academic performance.
- Interacts with appropriate outside entities in order to
facilitate the student eligibility process.
- Processes and maintains student documentation via the
electronic document imaging system.
- Participates in the development of institutional financial aid
policies and procedures that will positively impact efficiency and
quality of service provided.
- Assists with recruitment, including but not limited to Eagle
Expo, Eagle View Orientation and high school night
Additional Job Description
- Other job-related duties as assigned.
- Serves as back up to all other financial aid areas and
- Required to work the Financial Aid front desk as
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution in an
appropriate area of specialization.
- Four years of professional full-time experience in financial
aid, admissions, advising, or other enrollment services
- Any appropriate combination of relevant education, experience,
and/or certifications may be considered.
- Experience with personal computers using Microsoft Office
(Excel, Word, Outlook) software.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Experience processing financial aid files in a State University
- Experience with Student Information Systems and Document
- Knowledge of federal and state financial aid programs and
- Knowledge of Title IV program fund regulations.
- Knowledge of U.S. Department of Education rules and
- Knowledge of state college and high school curriculum
- Knowledge of current tax forms, regulations and the
implications of such regulations on financial aid.
- Knowledge of Federal tax return guidelines in order to
accurately evaluate verification documents.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication
- Skill in using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths
and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions, or approaches
- Skill in researching regulatory information and resolving
complex financial questions.
- Skill in organizing resources and establishing priorities.
- Ability to prioritize and manage a significant caseload.
- Ability to interpret and explain regulatory information related
to the financial aid process.
- Ability to understand, interpret, apply, and explain complex
rules, regulations, requirements, and restrictions.
- Ability to diffuse and respond professionally to stressful
situations and difficult people.
- Ability to set priorities and complete assignments on
- Ability to provide professional customer service.
- Adheres to the highest professional and ethical standards to
maintain data confidentiality and integrity.
- Ability to work independently to complete assignments.
- Ability to present effectively to small and large groups.
- Ability to interact in a professional manner with a diverse
group of staff, faculty, students, and the community in a
- Ability to think critically and creatively, have a high
standard of integrity, and be motivated to incorporate best
practices into the organizational structure.
- Ability to thrive in an organization that values the diversity
of its student body and workforce and actively promotes equity and
FGCU is an EOE AA /F/Vet/Disability Employer.