Reporting to the Deputy Provost,the Associate Vice
Chancellor (AVC) - Instructional Quality and Innovation
develops and executes strategies and operations for the assurance
of high quality and innovative instruction across the district,
leading efforts towards instructional improvement through faculty
development and strategies designed to have an impact on the
effective integration of instructional technology in all
TheAVC- Instructional Quality and Innovation
collaboration with college Vice Presidents and Deans, directs the
development and delivery of high-quality online learning, both
synchronous (online/live) and asynchronous, and provides the
foundation and chief support for creating district-wide
instructional professional development relevant to all approved
course modalities. Performs related duties as required.
- Collaborates with Deputy Provost and college Vice Presidents on
strategies for growth and quality of online, online/live, and
hybrid courses and programs.
- Supports Vice Presidents and Deans to ensure consistency to the
standards established through a faculty and administrator
- Oversees the design of online courses and programs, providing
direction and working in collaboration with college and district
- Manages continuous improvement process for online asynchronous
course master course shells; including relevance, oversight and
- Evaluates district priorities for instructional initiatives,
reviewing historical student success data, and ensuring alignment
of curriculum and student learning outcomes across modalities.
Ensures the appropriateness of course and program offerings
- Collaborates with Student Services to create and monitor the
provision of student support functions for online programs to
ensure student access to online tutoring, advising, writing
support, and other student support services as required for
- Oversees technical support functions for instructional
delivery. Works closely with the Office of Information Technology
(OIT) and faculty to ensure students receive needed support with
technical issues related to LMS course shells (passwords, logins,
assignment posting, exams, course materials).
- Works collaboratively with faculty and college administration
to develop and implement strategies to prepare students for
available course modalities and to optimize their success.
- Works proactively with college administrators and District
Office leadership in developing and implementing professional
development strategies relevant to instruction in its multiple
modes of delivery.
- Refines, implements, and assesses existing City Colleges
framework for faculty professional development.
- Collaborates with faculty and college/district administration
on planning and execution of Faculty Development Week.
- Participates in the ongoing assessment of instructional
delivery in its multiple modes of delivery to monitor student
- Remains abreast of best practices and application of both
existing and new technologies to increase student learning and
engagement in all modalities.
- Makes recommendations to expand teaching effectiveness as
products evolve and new products become available.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Master’s degree from an accredited college or university in
Education, Higher Education, Instructional Design, or a related
- Five years of experience in faculty development, faculty
affairs, or management and delivery of academic programming in a
higher education environment
- Experience as a senior level administrator with a record of
academic leadership in an institution of higher education
- A combination of education and experience may be taken into
consideration based on the applicant’s credentials, provided the
minimum degree requirement is met
- Supervisory experience required
- Knowledge of best practices in online learning and teaching in
- Knowledge of best practices in online facilitation
- Excellent oral, written and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work within a culturally diverse environment
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity and multiculturalism in
one’s work environment.
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel,