Head Coach of Women's Softball
Amherst has taken a leadership role among highly selective liberal
arts colleges and universities in successfully diversifying the
racial, socio-economic, and geographic profile of its student body.
The College is similarly committed to enriching its educational
experience and its culture through the diversity of its faculty,
administration and staff.
Amherst College invites applications for the Head Coach of Women's
Softball position. The Head Coach of Women's Softball is a
full-time, year-round position. Given Amherst's distinction as one
of the most diverse liberal arts colleges in the country, the
successful candidate will demonstrate the ways in which they bring
value to and will work towards supporting a broadly diverse
The head coach is responsible for the management and administration
of all aspects of a successful NCAA Division III women's softball
program. The head coach will manage the women's softball program to
ensure positive team dynamics, satisfactory growth and development
of a diverse set of student-athletes, and competitive performance
of the team. The head coach is also responsible for other related
duties assigned by the Director of Athletics. The position requires
an understanding of the role of intercollegiate athletics in a
highly competitive academic environment. The head coach takes
appropriate actions to support a diverse workforce and participates
in the College's efforts to create a respectful, inclusive, and
welcoming work environment.
Summary of Responsibilities:
- Teaching, analyzing performance, and coaching game techniques
and strategies of softball in preparation for and during athletic
- Establish strong relationships with a diverse group of
student-athletes and maintain effective lines of
- Monitor academic progress of softball student-athletes.
Understand academic needs, communicate with faculty liaisons,
identify any issues that may occur, and provide direction and
guidance when necessary.
- Develop student-athletes of character who are committed to
fostering a campus environment of respect and inclusion.
- Schedules and conducts regular practice sessions daily or
several times weekly during season. Maintains detailed statistics
and records, evaluation reports, etc. for each student-athlete.
Determines and implements strategy to obtain maximum team level and
- Determines competitive event schedule, coordinating with teams
both inside and out of the Conference.
- Maintains continual and thorough familiarity with all
applicable NESCAC, NCAA, and college rules and regulations, and
complies with same.
- Creates a dynamic and inclusive recruiting plan for the
- Lead the effort to scout and recruit high-achieving prospective
student-athletes from geographically and demographically diverse
populations. Coordinates all phases of recruiting activities.
Coordinates and organizes potential student-athlete on-campus
- Attend meetings within the department and
- Maintains positive relations with alumni and friends
- In conjunction with the Office of Advancement, coordinate the
program's fundraising activities and the outreach of
- Hire, supervise, and evaluate assistant coaches.
- Manage program budget, travel, and logistics with Department
- Performs other duties/functions as requested.
- Bachelor's Degree.
- A valid US driver's license and successful credentialing is
required in order to operate College vehicles.
- Experience playing or coaching softball at the college
- Strong recruiting skills.
- Outstanding organizational, communication, writing,
interpersonal, and analytical skills and the capacity to work
effectively in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to initiate, analyze, monitor, evaluate, and advance
- Ability to work independently and to exercise sound judgment
- Demonstrated commitment to supporting the development of
student-athletes from varied backgrounds.
- Ability to work intentionally with a diverse team to establish
and maintain an inclusive, supportive, cohesive team
- Ability to work nights, weekends, and other non-traditional
- Ability to travel (by car, air, train, bus) domestically and
internationally as needed for competition, recruiting, fundraising,
or professional development.
Amherst College offers many opportunities for professional growth
and development, continued learning, and career advancement.
Amherst College is pleased to provide a comprehensive, highly
competitive benefits package that meets the needs of staff and
faculty and their families. Benefits are an important part of our
overall compensation, so it is critical that you review all of the
options to ensure it meets your total compensation requirements.
Click here for Benefits
Interested candidates are asked to submit a resume and cover letter
online at https://amherst.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/Amherst_Jobs
Please be sure to upload all requested documents prior to
clicking Submit. Applications cannot be revised once submitted.
(Current employees and students should apply by clicking on the
Career icon from their Workday home screen)
applications will begin immediately and will continue until the
position is filled.
find information about job group and level (JGL) follow this
To apply, visit https://amherst.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/Amherst_Jobs/job/Amherst-Campus/Head-Coach-of-Women-s-Softball_JR3876