TRADES SPECIALIST (PAINTER)
Trades Specialist (Painter)
Finance and Management, Division of
Staff & Administration
If Part-Time, enter FTE:
Is this a temporary position?
If Temporary, enter End Date:
This position is within the Maintenance Department of Facilities
Operations and Services. It is located in the Service Group
Complex. The hours are 6 am-2:30 pm, Monday through Friday, with
the pass days of Saturday and Sunday.
Duties include but are not limited to:
Functional and Supervisory Relationships
- Perform journey level painting work including preparing
surfaces and applying coats of paint, varnish, and other finishes
and stains to decorate and protect interior or exterior surfaces
and fixtures of buildings, structures, furniture, equipment, and
- Utilize working knowledge of painting techniques and practices
including knowledge of common types of paints and finishes from the
standpoint of durability and suitability for different purposes and
ease of handling and application.
- Use tools, equipment, and materials of the painting trade
including rollers, spray guns, brushes, and small hand tools such
as wire brushes, scrapers, and putty knives.
- Erect and work from scaffolds and ladders.
- Estimate quantity of paint and related materials required to
complete a project and carry out written and verbal
- Supervise other craft positions including painters and
subordinate employees, giving instructions, observing, and
inspecting work performed to ensure that instructions have been
followed and quality of work is satisfactory.
- Work with considerable independence, although work will be
assigned and periodically inspected by the supervisor.
Four years of full time experience under a journey level painter
that provided training equivalent to that given in a apprenticeship
program. Apprenticeship training in painting or training gained by
completion of technical courses in painting at a school (post high
school), institute or branch of the Armed Services may be
substituted for the above training and experience on a
The State University of New York College at Cortland is an
Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity/Americans with
Disabilities Act (AA/ EEO / ADA ) employer. The university actively
seeks applications from women, veterans, individuals with a
disability, members of underrepresented groups or anyone that would
enrich the diversity of the university.
Job Close Date
Posting Detail Information
Review Start Date
Open Until Filled
Quick Link for Direct Access to Posting
Special Instructions to Applicant
Special Instructions to Applicant
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Documents Needed to Apply
Required Documents Optional Documents
- * Do you possess four years of full-time experience under a
journeyman painter which provided training equivalent to that given
in an apprenticeship program or apprenticeship training in the
- * If yes to the four years of experience under a journeyman
painter or training, please detail the specifics below. Be sure to
include training course and/or the journeyman's name and business.
It is your responsibility to be as complete as possible to prove
your qualifications for this position.
(Open Ended Question)
- * This position may require being placed on an on-call/standby
roster. This requirement may be implemented at anytime as deemed by
operation need. If imposed, will you be able to meet this
- * This position will require frequent use of ladders,
scaffolding, and some mechanical lifts. Are you able to meet this
requirement with or without a reasonable accommodation?
- * Are you willing and able to be fit tested for the use of a
respirator as it will be required for this position?
- Curriculum Vitae or Resume
- Cover Letter
- Professional References Contact Info. ONLY (minimum of 3)