Pace University is ranked the #1 private, four-year college in the nation for upward economic mobility by Harvard University’s Opportunity Insights, evidence of the transformative education the University provides. To add to our esteemed faculty, Pace University is seeking a Part Time Head Tutor in Mathematics at our New York City campus in downtown Manhattan.
This position provides direct mathematics support for students and student tutors. This includes designing, supporting, and leading exam reviews for undergraduate mathematics classes, assisting with content tutor training including tutor observation, teaching or supervising mathematics workshops and discussion groups along with providing one-on-one exam corrections to struggling students. The secondary focus of the position is to provide tutoring sessions by appointment and for walk-in students individually and in groups, as needed.
- Work with faculty teaching math classes to understand the required support outside of the classroom.
- Support developmental math discussion groups.
- Lead exam reviews for math classes.
- Create review sheets and supporting materials for students taking math classes.
- Train mathematics tutors especially within the subject areas of business mathematics and pre-calculus through second-semester calculus.
- Observe tutoring sessions to monitor student satisfaction and for tutors’ content training needs.
- Report on observations of tutor strengths and weaknesses.
- Meet with students and work directly on their mathematics coursework.
- Attend and/or participate in staff development workshops and community-building sessions.
- Assist in administrative tasks as necessary.
- A Master’s degree in Mathematics, Applied Mathematics, Math Education, or directly related fields with a 3.3 GPA, or higher is strongly preferred.
- Current mathematics knowledge is required.
- Ability to explain complicated and challenging mathematics concepts.
- Previous teaching/tutoring experience.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Able to motivate and encourage students.
- Able to communicate with academic staff, advisors, and professors.
- The desire to help others and the ability to deliver outstanding customer service.
Exact schedule is to be determined; no more than 20 hours per week with some evening and weekend hours. Salary Range: $25/hr - $35/hr. Please apply at: https://careers.pace.edu/postings/26387
About Pace University
Ranked in the top 9% of private US colleges that provide the best return on tuition investment, Pace University transforms the lives of its diverse students—academically, professionally, and socioeconomically. Currently, the University enrolls more than 13,000 students in more than 150 bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral programs. Pace University is at the forefront of creating opportunity. Through the convergence of strong academics, experiential learning, and dedicated advising, Pace University empowers its students and positively impacts its communities.
Pace University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans, individuals with disabilities, and people of all gender identities are encouraged to apply.
Annual Security Report Notice
Pace is committed to ensuring the safety and security of the students, faculty, staff and visitors to the University. In compliance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, the University’s Safety and Security department publishes an Annual Security and Fire Safety Report. The report contains information on security policies as well as crime and fire statistics for the University.