The University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB) Department of Public Safety is recruiting for a Coordinator, Clery Compliance. This position is responsible for compliance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act compliance program (the Clery Act). The Clery Compliance Coordinator is a professional resource for all laws and regulations outlined in the federal Clery Act. The position helps develop a comprehensive, "best practice" Clery Act compliance program. This position is responsible for assisting the Director of Security and Compliance in initiating, developing, revising, and maintaining all Clery Act compliance components, policies, and procedures. This function requires in-depth knowledge of the Clery Act, including all laws or regulations affecting Clery Act provisions.
UMB offers a comprehensive benefits package that prioritizes wellness, work/life balance, and professional development. This position participates in a retirement program that must be selected and is effective on your date of hire. Exempt regular staff receive a generous leave package that includes over 4 weeks of vacation accrued each year, paid holidays, unlimited accrual of sick time, and comprehensive health insurance; professional learning and development programs; tuition remission for employees and their dependents at any University System of Maryland school; and flexible work schedules and teleworking options (if applicable per job).
The ideal candidate will personally connect with the Administration and Finance Guiding Principles which closely mirror UMB’s core values: Respect and Integrity, Well-Being and Sustainability, Equity and Justice, and Innovation and Discovery.
Campus Security Authority Coordination
- Collaborates with Human Resource Services, Student Affairs, and other University departments and affiliates to identify Campus Security Authorities (CSAs) for the University, as defined by the Clery Act.
- Maintains the principal CSA roster and email distribution list for each academic year, including making frequent updates to reflect staffing changes.
- Develops processes for ensuring CSA responsibilities and training requirements are met.
- Sends communications to CSAs involving obligation reminders, University reporting procedures, and requests for information.
Data Collection, Reporting and Record-Keeping
- Serves as records custodian for all Clery records. Establishes, collects, organizes, and maintains Clery data and records. Ensures record system is accurate and is in compliance with the Clery Act, to include crime and fire and disciplinary referral data from internal and external sources.
- Ensures documented proof of compliance for all Clery audits.
- Works with the University of Maryland, Baltimore Department of Public Safety records division to ensure proper crime classification of incident reports.
- In coordination with University partners, compiles, prepares, publishes, and distributes various reports, such as the Annual Security and Fire Safety Report and other crime statistic reports.
- Reviews CSA reports for timely warning considerations, crime log inclusion, and annual statistical disclosures.
- Coordinates retention of printed and electronic records for Clery Act compliance.
- Assists in communications with external authorities to compile Clery Act data.
- Ensures the university maintains accurate records on security awareness and crime prevention programs and presentations.
- Works with counseling and psychological services and Student Health Services (or similar advocacy center) to gather statistical data related to crimes disclosed to those offices.
- Serves as the meeting coordinator and recording secretary for the Clery Act Compliance Committee.
Building and Property Classifications
- Assists with collaborating with Real Estate, Planning, and Space Management and other University departments to maintain Clery classification procedures for all buildings and properties owned and/or leased by UMB and officially recognized student organizations.
- Maintains and updates a UMB Clery map and conducts an annual review to ensure continued compliance.
- Maintains principal Clery geography spreadsheet and provides a consolidated list of Clery geography locations annually for collection of crime statistics from outside law enforcement agencies.
- Assists with developing and delivering employee communication, education, and training programs that focus on the elements of University-wide compliance with the Clery Act.
- Provides CSA and Clery Act training presentations in person and virtually to various sized audiences.
- Documents and maintains individual training records for regulatory compliance. Performs audits of CSAs’ training compliance and prepares biannual training data.
- Reviews and recommends updates to resource materials, internal website, and various department websites to ensure accurate and consistent Clery information across UMB.
Policies and Procedures
- Serves as UMB’s designated “Campus Safety Survey Administrator.” Ensures compliance and reporting that meet all requirements of the Clery Act.
- Assists with initiating, developing, revising, and maintaining all of the University’s Clery Act compliance program policies and procedures to ensure compliance with Clery Act-related laws and regulations.
- Conducts research on pending changes to the Clery Act and related laws and regulations to determine their impact on current University policies and procedures.
- Consults and interacts with other institutions, agencies, and entities outside of the university to discuss best practices, compliance concerns or regulation interpretation; assists with implementing University-wide best practices when applicable.
- Ensures familiarity with the Higher Education Opportunity Act (HEOA), Higher Education Act (HEA), Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), policies and compliance requirements.
- Works with various University offices to ensure compliance with the provisions of the Drug Free Schools, Safe Campus, and Sexual Assault Victims’ Bill of Rights.
Annual Security and Fire Safety Report
- Coordinates and compiles the Annual Security & Fire Safety Report (ASFSR) and all related activities, to include collaborating with related departments.
- Assists with preparing, publishing, and ensuring distribution of the ASFSR to current and prospective students, employees, and CSAs.
- Facilitates review of policies and procedures by various campus departments and updates the ASFSR accordingly to ensure information is accurate and Clery-compliant.
- Coordinates with the UMB Office of the Fire Marshal to ensure compliance with HEOA fire safety regulations and the appropriate University departments to ensure compliance with regulations such as the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA).
- Collaborates with other departments and records custodians to ensure proper retention schedules for Clery-related documents.
- Ensures notices announcing the availability of the ASFSR are properly developed and available to prospective students, employees, and CSAs.
- Submits annual crime statistics to the U.S. Department of Education, as required.
Warnings, Emergency Announcements, and Evacuation
- Assists with reviewing policies, procedures, and sample language for the emergency notification and timely warning alert systems to ensure Clery compliance.
- Collaborates with the Office of Emergency Management and/or Public Information Officer to ensure compliance with emergency notification and timely warning requirements of the Clery Act.
- Coordinates with the Office of Emergency Management and/or Public Information Officer to ensure that at least one test of emergency response and evacuation procedures is completed annually that meets federal requirements.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education: Bachelor's degree.
Experience: Four (4) years of experience in procedural or policy administration, data analysis and reporting, or other related compliance activities required.
Preferred: Prior experience in in higher education and previous experience complying with requirements of Clery Act preferred.
Supervisory Experience: N/A
Certification/Licensure: Completion of Clery Act training within six (6) months of hire.
Other: Familiarization with Title IX preferred.
Related experience may be substituted for education.
Knowledge of position requirements. Knowledge of all applicable requirements, regulations, and laws. Skill in effective use of applicable technology/systems. Ability to effectively communicate both verbal and written thoughts, ideas, and facts. Ability to work cooperatively with others and independently. Ability to prepare reports and presentations utilizing various visualizers, such as tables, graphs, geospatial, charts, dashboards, etc.
Hiring Range: $62,000 - $70,000 (Commensurate with education and experience)
UMB is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law or policy. For assistance related to employment, please contact the Staffing department at HRJobs@umaryland.edu.
If you anticipate needing a reasonable accommodation for a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), during any part of the employment process, please submit a UMB Job Applicant Accommodation Request. You may also contact HRDiversity@umaryland.edu. Please note that only inquiries concerning an ADA request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.