Southern University System Foundation
Vice President of Advancement Operations
Southern University System Foundation invites nominations and
applications for the position of Vice President for Advancement
Operations. As a member of the Foundation Leadership Team, the Vice
President will lead SU's strategy for all areas supporting
philanthropic revenue generation, including donor stewardship and
recognition prospect research, technology management, dashboards,
analytics, foundation communications and Valdry Center and Matthews
Reporting to the Foundation CEO and coordinating with Vice
President for Institutional and Legacy Giving and the CFO, this
position will be charged with centralizing and instituting best
practices for data collection and quality, gift entry, pledge
management, acknowledgements, stewardship, prospect research,
policies and procedures, fundraising platforms, and all other
operations functions. This VP will forge strong relationships with
the deans and directors of development in the colleges, schools,
and units, to provide stellar customer service, as well as
actionable and transparent resources related to workflow and best
practices in the areas of digital communication, stewardship, and
This role will supervise the Database Manager, Director of
Communications, and Director of Programs, and serve as the
leadership for all areas of advancement and operations. The VP will
lead strategy and coordination of all back-office functions that
support increased fundraising and a positive donor
• Bachelor's degree required; with a Master's degree
• Previous relevant experience (minimum of 7 years) of relevant
experience in advancement operations.
• A demonstrated record of success in managing institutional and
individual donor portfolios and achieving fundraising goals.
• A progressive record of successful higher education or non-profit
• Proficiency in planned giving strategies and
• A track record of leading and managing staff with increasing
responsibility over time.
• Superior skills in communications, data collection and
• A record of tangible contributions to advancing diversity,
equity, and inclusion that speak to the needs of a diverse alumni,
staff, and student body.
• Demonstrated understanding of the mission of an institution of
• Previous experience working with and advising senior leadership
• Strong writing and interpersonal communication skills.
• Superb attention to detail and ability to switch between details
and bigger impact of collective details.
• Experience using prospect management software.
• An analytical mindset with problem-solving skills.
• Excellent communication and collaboration skills.
• A high degree of energy, strong business acumen, and the agility
to develop an entrepreneurial, performance-based team culture
within an advancement division.
• Experience in and knowledge of the nonprofit sector and
particularly in higher education is strongly preferred.
Complete details regarding this opportunity including application
instructions can be found by viewing the position profile on the
Application and Nomination Process
Southern University System Foundation has enlisted the support of
Academic Search in this search. Those who are considering applying
are encouraged to schedule a confidential conversation with the
senior consultant for this search, Ms. Kate Nolde, at email@example.com
Applications should consist of the following documents, to be
submitted electronically in .pdf format:
• Detailed letter of interest addressing the leadership agenda and
qualifications as outlined in this profile.
• Full resume with relevant administrative responsibilities and
• List of five professional references, including names, phone
numbers, and email addresses, noting the candidate's relationship
for each reference. References will not be contacted until later in
the search process and only with the candidate's permission.
Application materials, nominations, and expressions of interest
should be submitted to SouthernVPAO@academicsearch.org
Nominations should include the nominee's full name, position,
institution/organization, and email address.
Although applications will be reviewed until the position is
filled, to ensure full consideration, application materials should
be received by May 24, 2022
. Finalists for the position will
participate in campus interviews that will include a public
presentation. A background check (including identity, degree
verification, and criminal records check) must be completed
satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered this
In compliance with Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972,
Title VI and VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Section 504 of
the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and other federal, state, and local
laws, Southern University and A&M College forbids
discriminating or harassing conduct that is based on an
individual's race, color, religion, sex, ethnicity, national origin
or ancestry, age, physical or mental disability, sexual
orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic
information, veteran or military status, membership in Uniformed
Services, and all other categories protected by applicable state
and federal laws. This commitment applies but is not limited to
decisions made with respect to hiring and promotion, the
administration's educational programs and policies, scholarship,
and loan programs, and athletic or other College administered
programs. Discriminatory acts of any kind are strictly