Career Education Colleges and Universities is seeking a full-time policy and research analyst to work on a range of postsecondary education policy projects on topics such as college affordability, accountability, and access. We are looking for individuals with a background in social science and/or public policy (especially higher education policy) and strong data management and analysis skills. This is not an entry level position.
The position is located in Arlington, VA, or can be remote.
The successful candidate will support the Chief Policy Officer, including through the following types of tasks:
- Conduct rigorous policy and research analysis and develop memos, policy papers, studies, reports, presentations, and visualizations on postsecondary education issues, with special emphasis on communicating outcomes of students at private postsecondary career schools.
- Produce actionable insights from data using various quantitative and qualitative research techniques.
- Clean, transform, merge, and match between large and complex research and administrative datasets retrieved from national, state, local, and internal databases.
- Review and summarize library and internet research, set up meetings and interviews, develop survey instruments, analyze data, and draft findings.
- Coordinate small-scale and major long-term research projects as lead and/or co-author.
- Work on a variety of research projects simultaneously.
- Develop and maintain knowledge regarding current activities and future trends in higher education and the workforce, including federal legislative and regulatory actions.
- Curate research findings for audiences that possess varying levels of issue expertise.
- Work with members and other stakeholders to establish and define actionable research questions. Research new opportunities for funding with potential philanthropic partners to advance research work and assist with writing grant proposals.
- Assist with monitoring grants and contracts to support and inform member research interests.
- Perform some administrative assistance for the Chief Policy Officer, including scheduling meetings.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Demonstrated interest in postsecondary education policy and research.
- Bachelor’s degree. Graduate degree preferred.
- Background in social science, public policy (especially education policy), economics, or related field with statistical background. Documented course work in research methods and statistical analysis or equivalent experience preferred.
- At least three years of experience in higher education or related field or at a think tank or policy institute preferred.
- Ability to understand and effectively research complex subjects.
- Display strong qualitative and/or quantitative research skills.
- Experience with complex data sets including manipulating, merging, restructuring, and analyzing data.
- Familiarity with, or a strong interest in, postsecondary education surveys, datasets, and products, such as the Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System, National Postsecondary Student Aid Study, Postsecondary Education Participants System, College Scorecard, American Community Survey, and/or Digest of Education Statistics.
- Proficient with survey development and analysis platforms.
- Have capacity to conduct library and internet research quickly and with strong critical thinking analysis.
- Experience, or a strong interest in, helping to secure outside funding for special projects.
- Excellent organizational skills that reflect the ability to perform and prioritize multiple tasks seamlessly with excellent attention to detail.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Exhibit a proactive approach to problem solving with strong decision-making capability.
- Highly resourceful team player with ability to think innovatively and achieve high-performance goals and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Prioritize conflicting needs; handle matters expeditiously, proactively, and follow through on projects to successful completion, often with deadline pressure.
- Exercise sound judgment in every situation, always keeping the reputation and needs of the association and its members top of mind.