The Grants and Financial Specialist independently manages all
financial and administrative matters pertaining to sponsored
research for the Population Studies and Training Center
incumbent has financial oversight and administrative responsibility
for sponsored projects and grant submissions. This position
provides high-level comprehensive pre- and post- award management,
subcontract administration, research support and financial
The Grants and Financial Specialist is a good communicator and
collaborator who is able to administratively lead, manage, and
support the efforts of faculty, students, staff, and project team
members to produce first-rate proposals and financial reports in a
deadline-driven environment. In addition, the specialist assists
faculty with answering questions and clarifications regarding
Request for Proposals (RFPs) and sponsored award or contract terms
This position works with the Office of Sponsored Projects (OSP),
collaborating institutions, sponsoring agencies and principal
investigators (PIs), PSTC Associate Director and the Administrative
and Financial Coordinator.
In addition, the specialist coordinates activities related to
sponsored funding from NIH infrastructure grant (P2C) and NIH
training grant (T32) to support research activities, mentoring of
junior scholars, and the PSTC training program.
The incumbent has a broad scope of responsibilities and is
knowledgeable of research administration and finance.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree with 2-4 years of experience in research
administration, accounting, financial management, and/or budgeting,
or equivalent combination of education and experience. A degree in
Accounting, Finance, Social Science, Research Administration, or
Public Administration is preferred.
- Proposal preparation experience with federal and non-federal
sponsored awards using Coeus/Huron grants management (or similar)
- Experience with Workday or similar large financial management
- Familiarity with eRA Commons, NSF Fastlane, Research.gov and/or
- Higher-Education or non-profit work experience preferred.
- Excellent financial analytical ability.
- Knowledge of sponsored project accounting, fund accounting, and
- Working knowledge of the Uniform Administrative Requirements,
Cost Principles, and Audit Requirements for Federal Awards and
policies of major foundations and non-federal functions.
- Willingness and interest in assuming increasing levels of
responsibilities, networking, leadership, and training
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Office Programs (Word, Excel,
PowerPoint), Web based programs and tools, Gmail and G suite
applications, Adobe Acrobat Pro, and willingness to use new
- Proficient with grant sponsor websites. Specifically: NSF
Fastlane, eRA Commons, and Research.gov and/or Grants.gov, as well
as familiarity with major foundation grant proposal website
- Effective communication skills-interpersonal, oral, and
written-to elicit and communicate information, to analyze data, and
to prepare /present clear, informative, and concise materials.
- Excellent organizational and event planning skills and
attention to detail.
- Works independently and as a team member.
- Ability to meet deadlines in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented
work environment, and manage multiple priorities.
- Experience at effectively managing up.
- Demonstrated ability to support a community of diverse
perspectives and cultures in an inclusive environment.
- Willingness and interest to continue learning.
- Ability to handle confidential information with
All offers of employment are contingent upon a criminal background
check and education verification satisfactory to Brown
Recruiting Start Date:
Job Posting Title:
Grants and Financial Specialist
Population Studies and Training Center
Scheduled Weekly Hours:
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any
staff position at Brown University you must submit an application
form for each position for which you believe you are qualified.
Applications are not kept on file for future positions. Please
include a cover letter and resume with each position
Still Have Questions?
If you have any questions you may contact email@example.com
Brown University is an E-Verify Employer.
As an EEO/AA
, Brown University provides equal opportunity and
prohibits discrimination, harassment and retaliation based upon a
person’s race, color, religion, sex, age, national or ethnic
origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender
identity, gender expression, or any other characteristic protected
under applicable law, and caste, which is protected by our