About Unity Environmental University:
For more than fifty years, Unity Environmental University has been
preparing the next generation of environmental professionals and
leaders to successfully face real-world challenges. With
environmentally focused degrees, Unity Environmental University
offers affordable and accessible degrees, certificates, and
non-degree courses, through a variety of modalities including
hybrid, in-person, hyflex, and online.
We are dedicated to delivering quality education and experiences
that produce outstanding environmentally competent professionals
and inspire individuals from all walks of life to steward
The primary responsibility of the Distance Education (DE) Director
of Sustainable Food Systems and Food Science Programs (SFS) is to
assist the DE Dean of Sustainability Studies by developing and
growing new baccalaureate programs of study in sustainable food
systems, food technology, food science, controlled environment
agriculture, and other related areas. Distance Education Program
Directors are expected to design programs that are responsive to
market data and potential employer needs, oversee curriculum design
at the program and course level, monitor and report on program
viability and relevance, support program recruitment and marketing
efforts, and provide other services as needed. This position works
closely with and reports to the Dean of Sustainability Studies and
is based in the Unity Environmental University Distance Education
offices located in New Gloucester, Maine.
DE Instructional Unit: Curriculum Development, Implementation, and
- Support the Dean of Sustainability Studies in maintaining the
integrity of the curriculum, including any accreditation
- Develop and grow baccalaureate programs in areas related to
sustainable food systems, food science, and other related areas
that align with the Colleges mission and vision and are financially
- Serve as a Subject Matter Expert (SME) for program and course
- Oversee hiring and supervision of qualified instructors for
courses within SFS-related programs and disciplines.
- Oversee hiring and supervision of SMEs for course design.
- Demonstrate knowledge of learning models, appropriate online
pedagogies, and effective use of technological tools to support
adult and non traditional learners.
- Assess and evaluate courses and programs related to SFS and
other areas as assigned.
- Teach up to 240 student credit hours per calendar year as
- Proactively communicate challenges, successes, and failures
with the Dean of Sustainability Studies.
- Other duties as assigned.
DE SEBU: Communication and Student-Focused Collaboration and
- Participate in Distance Education governance (task groups) as
- Demonstrate understanding of and ability to work within the
Unity Environmental University Enterprise Model.
- Professionally represent Unity Environmental University
Distance Education through scholarship, outreach, and professional
- Demonstrate a high degree of commitment to customer service and
- Work with Distance Education staff and leaders to develop
strategies for effective advising and retention efforts.
- Collaborate with DE academic and student support faculty and
staff to address student concerns.
- Develop and update the course delivery schedule in
collaboration with DE academic and student support faculty and
- Become knowledgeable and articulate about Unity Environmental
University Distance Education, its programs, market niche,
strategies, and procedures.
- Unity Environmental University : Understanding, Representing,
and Working Within the Enterprise Model
Work Schedule / Availability Requirements
- At minimum, a Masters degree and a record of professional or
scholarly achievement in an area directly related to sustainable
food systems and/or food science.
- Professional experience related to integrating sustainability
practices and goals in food production, safety, and/or distribution
- Strong interest in innovative, accessible higher
- Experience administering online courses in an adult market is
- Experience in online course design and LMS use.
- Strong oral and written communication skills, including
facility with technical terminology appropriate to the
- Excellent initiative and organizational skills with the ability
to work both autonomously and in a team.
- Great time management skills.
- Ability and willingness to work with students from diverse
political/socioeconomic backgrounds and a wide range of physical
and academic abilities.
- Good skills in word processing, spreadsheets, and computerized
- Personal commitment to the environmental focus and mission of
- Ability to function effectively within a matrix organizational
structure, maintaining open lines of communication while being
discreet, courteous, and poised.
Work hours are specific to the requirements of this position and
can include days, evenings, and weekends. Working extended hours
required as needed. Must be flexible and cooperative in fulfilling
responsibilities and meeting the Colleges needs. Although Unity
Environmental University employees are generally scheduled to work
at their specifically assigned locations, there are times when
travel is necessary and employees are required from time to time to
attend events, meetings or work temporary assignment at any Unity
Environmental University location.
While performing the duties of this job, it is regularly required
to sit and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to
stand or walk. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up
to 40 lbs. Specific vision abilities required by this job include
close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception,
and the ability to adjust focus. The use of either hand for
repetitive movements such as grasping, grasping and turning, and
fine manipulation is required as is the ability to use the
telephone for internal and external communications.
Location: Pineland Farms, New Gloucester, Maine
Just a half hour from Portland, Unity Environmental University
Headquarters, Unity Environmental University Distance Education,
The Technical School for Environmental Professions, and the School
of Environmental Business & Sustainable Ventures are based at
the Pineland Farms campus. The facilities are within easy access to
one of the fastest-growing cities for startups in the
Unity Environmental University offers a comprehensive and
competitive compensation and benefits package for its faculty and
staff. Benefits for eligible employees include:
- Paid holidays
- Paid time off
- Short- and Long-term disability
- Life Insurance
- Flexible work benefit eligible