The Clerk to the University President and Liaison to the Board of Visitors serves to assist and support the President and Board of Visitors to meet the mission and objectives of the University. This position is a part of the President’s staff. Primary duties of the Clerk to the University President includes to record the minutes of all meetings of the Board of Visitors, maintain records of committee meetings, oversee the maintenance of membership lists and terms, provide for the safe keeping of all official contracts, resolutions, and records of the organization and publish notices of scheduled meetings as required in the Bylaws under direction of the President or designee. Position ensures all notices are published in a timely manner in accordance with Commonwealth of Virginia State regulations.
Duties include the following after consultation with the President or designee:
- Schedule meetings, activities, and functions as requested by the President for the Board of Visitors.
- Disseminate approved general and electronic messages, reports and information to the Rector and Board members.
- Draft and finalize Board agendas and other communications to the Board per President’s request.
- Post meeting announcements via guidelines and email meeting announcements to Communications and Marketing to notify media for public notice.
- Ensure the compilation of Board materials for Board books and maintain copies of Board meeting files and minutes.
- Compile Campus Orientation book for new Board members on behalf of the President and update or draft Rector’s presentation for the Board Orientation with counsels.
- Work with President’s Office designee to schedule annual Board Retreat, etc.
- Follow up as needed with the office financial specialist on travel arrangements, accommodations, and reimbursements for Board members.
- Develop and forward agenda reporting/action items and timetable to the administration and staff.
- Design/disseminate Board parking passes. '
- Order name plates, and badges for new Board members, SGA representative and the president for identification purposed during Board meetings.
- Draft/finalize minutes of the Executive Committee, Full Board, NSUF and Board Liaison Committee, and assigned Ad-Hoc Committees as designated by the President and Rector.
- Post committee minutes, Board minutes and reports of the Board on the university website according to State guidelines.
- Draft/finalize comments, remarks or greetings for Board officers as requested.
- Assist with Board members’ attendance at campus events and/or off-campus events as requested or when representing the university.
- Order gifts for outgoing Board members and arrange date for Board members’ reception.
- Assist President to update the Informational Guide for NSU Board of Visitors and forward to University Counsel for review.
- If received/approved, forward invitations from other organizations to the Board.
- Schedule photo session for Rector’s portrait and have photo appropriately displayed at the Student Center Board Room.
- Post photos of Board members, Student and Faculty Representative to the Board of Visitors website.
- Maintenance of the BoardEffect Electronic System in collaboration with the President’s Office (BoardEffect procedures will be provided).
- Additional duties as assigned by President or designee.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent combination of training and education that provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and experience
- Considerable years' experience with executive level administrators scheduling and administrative functions
- Previous experience assisting boards or a governing body
- Experience with research, retrieval and analyzing data in order to make recommendations
- Able to compose correspondence and reports independently
- Excellent managerial and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated record of effectively interacting with Board Members, executives, and senior management
- Demonstrated ability to work strategically and collaboratively across various levels of management
- Effective, versatile and action oriented
- Excellent communication and writing skills
- Demonstrated analytical and critical thinking skills
- Demonstrated ability to manage highly confidential information
- Master’s Degree
- Higher education experience in the Commonwealth of Virginia
NSU is committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all persons and applicants, without regard to age, color, disability, gender, national origin, political affiliation, genetic information, religion, sexual orientation, sex (including pregnancy) or veteran status. NSU encourages and invites minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and veterans to apply.