Qatar Biomedical Research Institute (QBRI) at Hamad Bin Khalifa University (HBKU) is Qatar’s national research institute focused on biomedical research striving to transform healthcare through translational research, innovation in the prevention, diagnosis, as well as treatment of high prevalence diseases. The ultimate goal is to achieve personalized medicine.
HBKU seeks applications for the position of Executive Director for QBRI. The applicant will be responsible for providing overall leadership in research project management, infrastructure development, and scientific investigation in high-priority areas of biomedical and associated research. The successful applicant will be responsible to pursue and promote collaborative research relationships within HBKU, and nationally and globally.
Job role description
- Develop a Research Strategy and Implementation Approach based on the HBKU and QF Strategy, taking onboard the needs of the Qatar 2030 programme, the QRDI research strategy, and inputs from the ISAC and other relevant individuals/entities. This should provide recommendations on the key areas of biomedical research for development and implementation.
- Identify, recruit, develop and motivate a team of scientists and researchers to conceive new methods, demonstrate clinical feasibility, and help deliver new and relevant solutions on high priority areas. All in accordance with the research strategy and international standards and other relevant areas of health in the State of Qatar.
- Lead the development of annual business plans and budgets.
- Advise on and be very active in the development of multidisciplinary research programmes directed at key areas of research. For example, Precision Health, in line with the HBKU and QF theme strategy, whilst ensuring optimal use of all resources.
- Ensure that facilities in the HBKU research complex are optimized for the needs of QBRI, are available to other users, and are continually improved in line with the needs of QBRI, HBKU and the Qatar research community.
- Oversee the development and implementation of policies and procedures for the safe conduct, compliance and regulatory issues of scientific research.
- Develop an impactful research communications strategy.
- Develop and maintain relationships with existing research partners in Education City and the State of Qatar to create joint programmes for the benefit of the QBRI, HBKU and Qatar.
- Assist with the integration of individual projects into a cohesive overall programme, and coordinate with other research initiatives in the division, Education City and nationwide. This is to ensure research and technology standards are met.
- Proactively develop collaborative relationships with all biomedical entities, biopharmaceutical partners, government officials and religious leaders to ensure QBRI’s input on research ethics, policy and regulations.
- Establish relationships with international research institutions or research ratings organizations to perform independent assessment on QBRI’s scientific research activities. This is to create and ensure a significant impact on the national, regional and world stage.
- Actively pursue national and external funding for research activities to enhance resources and funding.
- Develop, follow up and update the status of research activities to ensure effective monitoring and control.
- Prepare progress reports, when required, to ensure all activities are captured, relevant milestones and KPIs are achieved in a timely manner, and all resources are effectively utilized.
- Be a key leader in ensuring that excellence in research is pursued and achieved and that resources are managed to achieve this.
Minimum Knowledge, Skills & Experience
- PhD degree in a relevant field and a minimum of 15 years’ experience with at least 5 years’ experience in a senior level in academic management such as Dean of a renowned university, rector, or in a position with responsibility for the R&D functions preferably in a Medical/Pharmaceutical industry.
- Strong working knowledge of clinical, medical and biomedical sciences applicable to Qatar such as cancer, cardiovascular, diabetes, infectious diseases and neurodegenerative diseases.
- Proven and internationally recognised track record in managing research centers, with knowledge of research tools, biomedical trends, procedures and protocols and technologies for biomedical research.
- Strategic thinking and ability to conceptualize ideas and implement them.
- Sound people management experience and ability to achieve results through inspired leadership and accountability.
- Strong collaborative, team building and development skills.
- Ability to fund-raise for research work and programmes.
- Knowledge of FDA, other local and international regulations for biomedical devices, drug development and clinical studies.
Applications will be reviewed immediately and continue on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Shortlisted candidates will be called for interviews.
HBKU offers an attractive compensation package that includes a tax-free salary and additional benefits such as an education allowance, furnished accommodation, annual paid leave, air tickets and medical insurance.