At Unity Environmental University we are on a mission to make
environmental education accessible and affordable to all. Our
unique model combines a functional hierarchy and project-based
structure through our four Sustainable Education Business Units
(SEBUs) to promote collaboration and innovation (Distance
Education, Sustainable Ventures, Hybrid Learning and the Technical
Institute for Environmental Professions). We prioritize our
students' needs above all else, offering a variety of modalities,
including hybrid, in-person, hyflex, and online. Our innovative and
inclusive culture prepares students to tackle real-world challenges
and cultivate the next generation of environmental professionals
and leaders who can make a positive impact on our world.
We are dedicated to delivering quality education and experiences
that produce outstanding environmentally competent professionals
and inspire individuals from all walks of life to steward
About Distance Education
: Distance Education provides an
entirely asynchronous, online learning experience that adapts to
the unique circumstances of each student. Our fully accredited
bachelor's and master's degree programs, as well as non-degree
credits, empower learners to shape their own educational journey.
With 8 five-week terms for undergraduates and 5 eight-week terms
for graduate students, our model offers unparalleled flexibility.
You can learn at your own pace, and take breaks as needed. By using
your everyday environment as your laboratory, you'll integrate your
studies into your daily life. This makes our education ideal for
busy professionals who seek to advance their careers while still
honoring their commitments. We are committed to empowering our
students to become the changemakers our world needs, wherever they
The Baccalaureate Advisor will build meaningful relationships with
students from the point of initial registration through program
completion, focusing on the pre/first term, first year, upper
level, or completion stage of the student lifecycle. As the primary
point of contact, they will support the specific needs of the
assigned stage(s), which may include onboarding, degree planning,
stop out retention, graduation planning, and career resources for
students in the Distance Education Strategic Educational Business
Unit (DE SEBU). They are responsible to provide holistic student
support while meeting matriculation, retention, and completion
goals as set by Distance Education leadership. The Baccalaureate
Advisor is responsible for communicating with online students
primarily through phone calls, texts, emails and zoom meetings.
They will maintain accurate records and must also have knowledge of
transfer evaluation, financial aid and billing processes, as well
as attend regular trainings. Advisors may also support recruitment
efforts as needed.
Day to day responsibilities:
Do you have the skills?
- Ensure positive student experience and academic success.
- Serve as the primary contact for the day-to-day relationships
around onboarding, retention and completion advising.
- Carry a portfolio of registered students during one of the
following lifecycle stages as assigned: pre/first term, first year,
upper level, and completion.
- Help students achieve their academic and career goals through
connecting them to appropriate campus resources as needed.
- Reach out to students regularly through phone calls, texts,
emails, and effective technologies as part of the student support
- Review student files to make sure that students are on track
- Ensure satisfactory academic progress through graduation.
- Cross-train to provide support and backfill for any stage of
the student lifecycle during high demand periods.
- Register students for upcoming terms to ensure they stay on
track for graduation.
- Work with Unity Environmental University student support
resources on behalf of students as necessary.
- Work with Distance Education staff and leaders to develop
strategies for effective onboarding, advising and retention
- Ensure students are successful in their courses by providing
them with resources and tools to succeed.
- Create and maintain academic plans for students through
- Meet or exceed annual goals.
- Become knowledgeable and articulate about Unity Environmental
University Distance Education, its programs, market niche,
strategies, policies and procedures.
- Understand how to work with non-traditional and adult
- Maintain appropriate records and submit timely reports on all
retention activities as needed.
- Pro-actively communicate challenges, successes, and failures
- Attend Institution events such as orientations, open houses,
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelors degree
- Experience in student advising or related field
- Excellent initiative and organizational skills with ability to
work both autonomously and in a team.
- Great time management skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with strong
- Ability and willingness to work with students from diverse
political/socioeconomic backgrounds and a wide range of physical
and academic abilities.
- Good skills in word processing, spreadsheets and computerized
- Personal commitment to the environmental focus and mission of
- Ability to function effectively within a matrix organizational
structure, maintaining open lines of communication while being
discreet, courteous, and well poised.
- Valid Maine Drivers License with a good driving
Are you contemplating the job but uncertain if you should
apply? We encourage you to reach out to us regardless. At our
company, we acknowledge that not everyone begins their professional
journey with equal advantages, opportunities, or privileges.
Therefore, we value your unique skills and experiences. Take a
chance and submit your application; you may be precisely the
individual we're searching for!
Location: Pineland Farms, New Gloucester, Maine
- Masters degree
- Previous experience working with online learning
- Working knowledge of career services, financial aid, or
- Knowledge of database systems such as CRM and SIS, including
Just a half hour from Portland, Unity Environmental University
Headquarters, Unity Environmental University Distance Education,
The Technical School for Environmental Professions, and the School
of Environmental Business & Sustainable Ventures are based at
the Pineland Farms campus. The facilities are within easy access to
one of the fastest-growing cities for startups in the
Work hours are specific to the requirements of this position and
can include days, evenings, weekends. Working extended hours may be
required as needed and Unity Environmental University employees
must be flexible and cooperative in fulfilling their
responsibilities while meeting the Universities needs.
Although a t Unity Environmental University Enterprise employees
are generally scheduled to work at their base location, there are
times when travel is necessary and employees are required from time
to time to attend events, meetings or work temporary assignment at
any Unity Environmental University location.
While performing the duties of this job, it is regularly required
to sit and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to
stand or walk. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up
to 20 lbs. Specific vision abilities required by this job include
close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception,
and the ability to adjust focus. The use of either hand for
repetitive movements such as grasping, grasping, and turning, and
fine manipulation is required as is the ability to use the
telephone for internal and external communications.
Unity Environmental University offers a comprehensive and
competitive compensation and benefits package for its faculty and
staff. Benefits for eligible employees include:
- Paid holidays off
- 4 weeks of PTO
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Short- and Long-term disability
- Life Insurance
- Flexible work benefit - ability to work from home
- Retirement Plan with up to 8% match
- Relocation Assistance