Position Title: Assistant Vice President, Facilities
Department: Facilities Services
Advertised Pay: Competitive
Campus Location: Washburn University
The screening committee will review all eligible applications
submitted by May 16, 2023
Position Summary: The Assistant Vice President, Facilities
Services is responsible for the strategic planning and management
of all current and future buildings, campus conditions, and
associated facilities and systems. The position is accountable for
overseeing all capital construction projects including new builds
and renovation of existing buildings and is responsible for
developing and directing a facility plan that ensures all campus
facilities and properties are maintained and operated at the
highest efficiency possible. The Assistant Vice President of
Facilities Services takes the lead in initiating, directing and
supporting environmental sustainability, health and safety
operations. This leader will work collaboratively to create
exceptional customer service by all facilities staff to support our
students, faculty, staff, and wider community, including campus
• The Assistant Vice President, Facilities Services understands the
university’s mission, vision, and values and ensures the operations
of Facilities Services are completed in a manner that supports
them. Collaborates with and advises senior leadership to determine
long term goals, resource planning, operational expectations and
best practices. Provides appropriate reports to support findings or
new or proposed initiatives, or when requested.
• Anticipates, plans, and leads the overall administration and
provision of services, programs and staff functions for Facilities
Services including physical plant operations, repair, maintenance,
landscaping, custodial services, facility design and capital
improvement construction projects at all Washburn University and
Washburn University Institute of Technology campuses. This includes
being ultimately responsible for the condition, function,
appearance and safety of all University buildings and grounds as
well as the staff, equipment and materials needed to maintain
• Identifies and implements best practices for the department and
develops metrics to evaluate and manage performance as well as
bring innovation and emerging trends to the campus in the areas of
maintenance, operations, and sustainability. Will analyze data to
ensure all functions of Facilities Services are cost-effective and
• As the team leader and motivator, maintains a healthy, fair, and
inclusive work environment by promoting diversity, and exercising
teamwork and collaboration. Actively promotes a professional
workplace culture of mutual respect and collegiality for all
members of the institution. Works to build positive and cooperative
relationships with staff, encouraging them to work toward
individual and departmental goals. Supports staff’s recruitment
efforts and the evaluations of assigned staff’s performance and
effectiveness. Models effective management practices to maximize
employee performance and facilitate professional growth.
• Establishes service standards and sets of criteria for making
quality decisions. Communicates these standards to staff and
manages the implementation in ways that lead to measurable results.
Establishes and monitors standards for maintaining high-level
quality customer service, creativity, and innovation. Evaluates and
reviews day-to-day operations of the department with appropriate
staff to ensure compliance with Department and University policies,
regulatory requirements and assignments.
• Oversees the development and management of all capital planning
and construction projects from conception to completion and works
closely with internal and external partners, on all capital
planning expenditures and contractor relationships to ensure timely
completion of projects according to plans and specifications. As
the internal expert, makes appropriate recommendations concerning
projects and assists with prioritizing those projects.
• Ensures appropriate inspection, testing and maintenance of all
facilities' infrastructure and equipment is accomplished in a
manner that is both planned and consistent with industry standards
and all applicable state and federal regulations. Develops,
maintains and enforces compliance with facilities-related policies.
Accompanies inspectors during campus visits to answer questions and
discuss issues and findings as identified.
• Develops and submits annual budgets to fund Facilities Services
functions. Monitor expenditures, review and approve purchase
requests as appropriate to manage approved budgets.
• Works collaboratively with appropriate University staff to
implement the Memorandum of Agreement with the United Steel Workers
Local 307-4. Serves on committees as needed to negotiate updates or
terms of renewed agreements. Oversees department training, working
with appropriate staff, and outside resources to ensure staff
receives timely training to maintain effective performance
standards and to incorporate new methods, materials and processes
into their work to maximize safety, compliance, efficiency and
• Responsible for obtaining and maintaining current knowledge of
industry standards and best practices and being apprised of future
developments to incorporate needed changes to continually update
and improve department efficiency and delivered services.
• Attend assigned executive, staff, and committee, meetings to be
apprised of developing issues and concerns and to share important
• Perform additional job-related duties as assigned or as
• A bachelor's degree in Engineering, Architecture, Construction
Management or a closely related field.
• Seven years of senior leadership experience in facilities
• Demonstrated history of success in capital improvement project
• Proven effective communication and interpersonal skills.
• Proven ability to effectively work with inclusive and diverse
staff and a demonstrated commitment to building and supporting an
inclusive and diverse workforce at all staff levels.
• Proven ability to establish and maintain professional
relationships with stakeholders.
• Successful track record of strong fiscal management and a high
degree of integrity and professionalism.
• Working knowledge of OSHA requirements.
• A valid driver’s license with a driving record that meets
Ability to climb ladders and/or lifts.
• Master's degree.
• Licensure as an engineer or architect.
• Working knowledge of the State of Kansas and the City of Topeka
• Work experience in a higher education environment.
Full time Exempt Mon-Fri
Background Check and Driving History Required