Elmhurst University welcomes applications for an Adjunct Instructor
of Python Programming for GIS in the Online Graduate Geographic
Information Systems Program beginning Fall 2023.
Elmhurst University has experienced record enrollment and growth
over the last several years in both our undergraduate and graduate
programs. Additionally, Elmhurst University has been identified by
US News & World Report as the best regional university in
Illinois, and among the Top 15 Colleges and Universities in the
Midwest for Social Mobility and Innovation. Elmhurst University is
an institution that encourages diversity, equity and inclusion in
all its forms and welcomes all to apply.
Python Programming in GIS ( AGS -520 – Graduate level course)
(Prior online training, as well as posting of online course
materials will be required)
The successful candidate’s primary responsibility is to teach
Python Programming for GIS in the graduate program (M.S. in
Geographic Information Systems) and graduate certificate program
(Graduate Certificate in Geographic Information Systems).
The nature of online/remote instruction in this program is
asynchronous. The course is set up as eight one-week modules.
Modules open at the beginning of the week and close at the end of
- All planning of the course and course materials, as well as
posting onto the delivery platform (currently Blackboard) is done
prior to the first day of class. Estimated time – varies: first
time = 10-20 hours; subsequent to first year = 3-5 hours, depending
on changes in technology and updating of activities.
- Other than a required time for a weekly webinar, instructor can
work any hours. Weekly time estimate (planning, monitoring student
assignments, responding to students’ questions, contributing to the
discussion board, conducting the webinar, and grading) = 5-7
Other Duties and Responsibilities
- Construct and send syllabus to director about 4-weeks prior to
the start of class.
- Set up the virtual course in Elmhurst University’s student
platform (currently Blackboard) 2-4 weeks prior to the start of
- Contact students 1-2 weeks prior to the start of the first
- During each of the 8 weeks, monitor student progress, grade
assignments, interact with students in discussion board and conduct
a weekly webinar.
- Submit grades to the University by the required due date.
As part of the online GIS courses, the instructor will:
- Design weekly activities for Python programming in GIS
- Engage in weekly online discussion topics with students
- Provide a live weekly webinar for students
- Grade assignments and give feedback to students in a timely
- Update the program director about student progress throughout
Prior to teaching, online instructors need to complete a required
online introductory course about teaching an Elmhurst University
- Ph.D. preferred; Masters in GIS plus two years research or
professional experience or additional credentialing/licensure (
GISP ) will be considered.
- Ability to teach a graduate-level course in Python Programming
in GIS, using the Esri product suite
- Flexible teaching style – online, asynchronous course for
- Knowledge of ArcGIS Pro, Python programming in GIS, ArcGIS
- General knowledge of how Python programming relates to various
aspects of GIS
Working Conditions/Physical Requirements
- Knowledge of Python for GIS and Arcade
- Instructional experience with university/college students
Employee is subject to indoor work, protected from weather
conditions. Work is sedentary in nature and involves exerting up to
10 lbs. of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force
frequently/constantly in order to lift, carry, push, pull or
otherwise move object.
This is a contractual course; instructor is hired to prepare and
teach one specific course.
All course material is taught via online/remote teaching. The
course is accelerated, offering a full semester of instruction in
eight (8) weeks.
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please provide 3 references, including name, phone number and
email. This may be included in applicant’s cover letter or optional
Elmhurst University is a leading institution of higher education
that seamlessly blends liberal learning and professional
preparation to help students reach their full potential. Elmhurst
University offers more than 70 undergraduate majors, 17 graduate
programs, degree-completion programs for busy adults, and the
acclaimed Elmhurst Learning and Success Academy for young adults
with developmental disabilities. Elmhurst University is one of the
Top 15 Colleges in the Midwest, according to U.S. News & World
Report; and U.S. News, Money and Forbes magazines consistently rank
Elmhurst as one of the Midwest’s best values in higher
Recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce is a critical
component of the University’s mission, vision and core values. Our
commitment stems from the belief that an institution of higher
learning is enriched by the presence of diversity. Elmhurst
University is an EO Employer. Elmhurst University prohibits
discrimination and harassment of any type and affords equal
employment opportunities to employees and applicants without regard
to race, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation,
religion, age, creed, ancestry, veteran status, marital status,
disability, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Direct Link to this Posting
Last Day a Reference Provider Can Submit Reference
Special Instructions to Reference Provider
Please describe the applicant’s teaching and include your contact