Reporting to the Associate Provost for Enrollment Management, the Senior Director promotes the global visibility of AUC by implementing internationalization initiatives. The Senior Director oversees the day to day management of partnerships, institutional relationships and cooperation contracts with international universities and other institutions all over the world for the purpose of globalization. He/She enhances the international student’s experience at AUC by launching the international students’ engagement plans to ensure the integration of international students within the AUC student body. The Senior Director oversees the exchange and study abroad program for AUC students to ensure the diversification of the international experience offered. The Senior Director provides leadership and direction for IPSO to deepen student knowledge and direct experience of the world and help them develop intercultural sensitivity. The Senior Director oversees the incoming faculty- led short study abroad programs at AUC and ensure their integration within the AUC community to further enhance internationalization. He/She oversees market analysis, strategy formulation, annual planning, and implementation & evaluation of recruitment activities for Study Abroad and Exchange Students. This shall aim at increasing the number of international students, hence, promote for more internationalization of AUC. He/She supports the AP for Enrollment Management in promoting academic collaborations like dual and joint degrees with faculty from other universities.
Responsibilities and Tasks:
Exchange and Study Abroad Partnerships and Programs
- Manages partnerships with international universities around the globe
- Strengthens the University’s relationships with existing partner institutions to foster collaboration, as well as faculty, staff and student exchange.
- Identifies new partners and new geographical areas to increase the number of exchange and study abroad international students.
- Develops office and university processes and procedures to implement partnership agreements.
- Monitors balances of exchange programs.
- Responsible for IPSO website on all levels: international partner updates, outgoing exchange program, incoming services.
- Manages production of different promotional materials.
- Supervises the communication with international partners for updates on international students.
- Corresponds regularly with partner institution administrators about specific student cases and issues.
- Coordinates between international institutions and AUC offices and academic departments; follows up on student inquiries and problems; supports international students in course selection and enrolment.
- Leads policy, process and systems development that supports study abroad operations including outreach to students, recruitment, application, and information management.
- Develops and supervises the delivery of a comprehensive pre-departure orientation for students leaving for study abroad and a comprehensive re-entry program for students returning from a study abroad experience.
- Designs and implements outreach to parents to inform them about the value and affordability of study abroad.
- Liaises with Advancement and the Scholarships Office when students on scholarship request non-tuition assistance in study abroad opportunities.
- Develops tools to assess AUC’s study abroad and exchange efforts and analyses the collection of data to recommend program improvements.
- Manages edits and processes, and coordinates data in support of internationalization.
Internationalization Initiatives Implementation
- Develop and overlook the implementation of International initiatives such as blended learning, co-taught courses like COIL, HIVE, etc. to promote for internationalization of the AUC campus
- Expand AUC’s participation in consortiums and international societies to expand AUC’s international visibility
Faculty Led Programs Implementation
- Administer faculty led special academic study abroad programs
- Manages budgets of around USD 150,000 per year of faculty led programs
- Hosts groups of FLPs from international universities, responsible for their day-to-day activities
- Manages scheduling of the FLP lectures, cultural and field visits.
Recruitment of International students from NA region:
- Oversee the research of relevant academic conferences, events and fairs at schools and universities in the United States, to ensure proper presentation of AUC
- Formulate a strategy to target relevant market segments, and position AUC there
- Develop recruitment plans, including visits and fairs involving students to increase the number of non-degree international students from NA r
- Oversee the communication and follow-up with our contacts at 50+ affiliate institutions and support the recruitment process
- Oversees communication materials addressing international students
Management of International Student Services
- Acts as the principal point of contact for all international students: undergraduate and graduate, non-degree and degree seeking students at AUC.
- Designs and oversees the implementation of a comprehensive international student orientation program that welcomes and orients new students to Egypt, Cairo and AUC.
- Supervises the development and dissemination of relevant, accurate pre-arrival information and direct communication to international students preparing to enroll at AUC.
- Identifies needs and manages a slate of international student support and engagement
- Leads an international student advisory committee comprised of campus stakeholders in the international student experience – Dean of Graduate Studies, Financial Aid and Scholarships Office, Medical Services, Business Support, Travel Office, North America, Student Accounts, Residential Life, etc. – to identify problems and challenges to international students at AUC and problem solve them.
- Designs and implements an annual plan with specific action items to integrate international undergraduate and graduate students into the mainstream of campus life
- Designs AUC’s annual International Day and cultural programs to increase international student learning and experience of living in Egypt.
Leadership and Management
- Leads assessment and evaluation of office programs and activities.
- Performs long-range budget planning, analysis and fiscal sustainability.
- Supervises a team of professionals in delivering strong and effective support services to incoming international students and outgoing study abroad participants.
- Maintains knowledge of best practices and current trends in international student mobility.
- Works closely with internal and external stakeholders during times of crises and risk management.
- Supervises and mentors’ direct reports, providing consistent performance feedback and support
- Creates and oversees a professional workplace where staff develop the skills, knowledge and attitudes to achieve high job performance and positively impact student growth and development.
Senior management experience: Demonstrated success building and managing collaborative teams; the ability to work collaboratively with others in a shared governance environment; at least 10 years of management experience; higher education leadership within an international context is preferred as well as experience with international student mobility and management.
- Has excellent leadership skills and is able to manage people in complex interpersonal environment
- Ability to lead, supervise and motivate staff and ensure their ongoing professional development
- Demonstrates integrity, credibility, confidentiality and responsibility in all interactions
- Possess high ethical standards and an honest, open and consistent approach to working with peers, students and staff
- Proficient in balancing multiple duties and responsibilities
- Creativity in problem solving and programming
- Has excellent planning, time management and organizational skills as well as attention to details
- Has the ability to make clear, informed decisions Communication and interpersonal skills
- Has excellent communication skills and is able to effectively handle a full range of interpersonal interactions with a diverse population of students and staff
- A demonstrated capacity to work confidently and effectively in an international environment and multicultural setting
- Highly effective in all aspects of crisis management, including the ability to work collaboratively with others in managing crises
- Excellent spoken and written English Language
Mission understanding and commitment:
- A profound belief in the value of a liberal arts education and a deep interest in the mission of internationalization and enhancing AUC’s global visibility
- A demonstrated commitment to diversity