Job Posting Information
Job Posting Number
Executive Director - Academy for Risk Management and
Regular or Contingent II
Desired Start Date
$175,000 - $200,000
Open Until Filled
Duties and Responsibilities
The Executive Director provides strategic direction and execution
of related plans to establish an Academy for Risk Management and
Insurance ( ARMI ) at Bowie State University as one of the top
programs of its kind in the country. Additionally, the Executive
Director will lead curricular programming towards the development
of the Risk Management and Insurance ( RMI ) academic concentration
and major. The incumbent reports to the Dean of the College of
Business ( COB ) and works with university leadership, faculty,
staff, and students in meeting the current and future needs of ARMI
The Executive Director provides leadership initiative and
creativity within the college and serves as a primary point of
contact and liaison for the Dean, faculty and staff, ARMI
sub-committees, and students. The Executive Director manages ARMI
recruiting activities for incoming students interested in the RMI ;
coordinates an ARMI Scholarship program/committee (allocation of
scholarship funding from the ARMI endowed scholarship); plans and
coordinates seminars, symposia and executive education, Master
Class Distinguished Speakers program, the ARMI Board of Governors
meetings and the ARMI sub-committee meetings; and coordinates ARMI
fundraising activities. The Executive Director will be the liaison
to the Bowie State University Career Services Department, the
Co-Operative Education Program, and the Alumni Office in regards to
Additional Duties and Responsibilities:
- The Executive Director must develop, in conjunction with other
stakeholders, the vision and mission statements for the ARMI .
- The Executive Director will develop a strategic plan for the
ARMI including financial and personnel needs to accomplish stated
professional/academic goals and objectives;
- The Executive Director will persuasively communicate the vision
and mission statement to potential stakeholders and partners who
can then work with the ARMI to achieve its goals and
- The Executive Director will partner with faculty to develop
curricula supporting the academic and professional activities of
the ARMI and the COB ;
- The Executive Director will support student recruitment for
academic programs in the COB as well as academic/professional
activities in the ARMI ;
- The Executive Director will develop and manage community and
professional outreach to make the ARMI’s presence and capabilities
known locally, regionally, nationally and internationally;
- The Executive Director will work with the COB to recruit
faculty for research and professional participation in the ARMI
consistent with its goals and objectives;
- The Executive Director will assist COB faculty and
administrators in establishing an RMI Concentration building to a
major in 12 to 18 months. The RMI concentration will include an
innovative curriculum, learning labs, and supporting activities.
The rationale for building the concentration is to provide business
and non-business majors with a structured, innovative curriculum
that offers training for careers in risk management and insurance.
Students enrolled in RMI coursework will be required to utilize the
Data Analytics Research Trading and Technology ( DARTT ) Lab to
enhance their learning experience.
- The Executive Director will develop a Board of Governors for
the ARMI and its sub-committees (Executive, Development,
Curriculum, and Corporate Relations Committees). The Board will
assist the ARMI staff and department faculty, assures continuity of
programming, increases awareness of the program in the insurance
and risk management community, and provides advice, council and
support to the faculty with respect to programs, curriculum and
pedagogy. The Executive Director also fundraises to endow
scholarships, provides internships and career placement
opportunities. The Executive Director will report at least twice
annually to the BOG on the state of the ARMI and provide financial
reports, including the state of the endowments.
- The Executive Director will assist the Board in planning and
assessment activities. The Executive Director will also endeavor to
increase support of the ARMI through various fundraising
initiatives including, but not limited to Executive of the Year
Dinner and Diversity Scholarships Campaign with the ARMI
Development Committee and the Vice President for University
Development to attain the yearly fundraising goals of the
- The Executive Director will also have responsibility, in
conjunction with the Admissions Office, for ARMI student
- The Executive Director will coordinate the Scholarship program
for the RMI program and work with faculty, the Dean’s Office and
the Financial Aid Office in administering the ARMI Scholarship
- The Executive Director will also be the liaison to the
insurance and risk management community to gain support for ARMI
educational programs and other offerings.
- The Executive Director will coordinate and oversee multiple
budgets for the RMI program.
- The Executive Director will promote the ARMI brand to local and
national industry groups through thought leadership, innovation and
successful programming as well as manage relationships with
industry employers and develop / enhance partnership with industry
- The Executive Director will teach one or more classes as
required within ARMI .
- The Executive Director will ensure successful job placement
opportunities for students via three pillars — Enrich Curriculum,
Engage the Students, Enhance the Brand.
- This position requires that the incumbent be very skilled in
dealing with individuals in high levels in the insurance industry,
with faculty within the university, with staff in various
university departments, and with students and parents.
- Be able to determine and apply solutions to ad-hoc issues that
Complexity of Tasks:
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills are
imperative to this position, which includes drafting key policy
documents and important letters.
- Must have the ability to articulate, both internally and
externally, the focus and mission of the Academy and the programs
within the university that reflect insurance education.
- Must be able to articulate to industry groups, national,
regional and local, the mission of the Academy.
- Must be able to articulate to scholarship sources, the goals
and structure of the Academy and the scholarship program.
- Must be able to communicate in an effective manner in the
- Must be able to simultaneously handle multiple tasks in a
- Must be able to mediate in situations requiring putting
university policies into practice.
- Must be able to gather information from multiple sources,
compile that information in an organized manner, and develop
reports, which sometimes are confidential in nature.
- Management of budgets and perform historical analysis and
- Data collection and analysis.
- Must be a team player, committed to what’s best for the ARMI
program, College of Business and the University.
- Should possess a committed work ethic and set work
standards/habits by example.
- Must be able to assist with the formulation of policy for a
- Must, from a political point of view, maintain balance within
the organization while maintaining a visible profile within the
insurance industry and to represent the best interests of the ARMI,
and the College of Business and the University.
- Must possess the ability to prioritize responsibilities.
- Be able to delegate and coordinate tasks effectively.
- Individual should set goals and strive to adhere to them.
- Establish and build working relationships throughout the
- Should be a self-starter and able to work independently.
- Resolve issues within scope of responsibilities or look to the
- Complete tasks that require cooperation with multiple
- Take advantage of formal and informal training programs and
- Constantly look for, and implement, ways to upgrade the
efficiency of the ARMI, operating systems, budgetary
responsibilities and report dissemination.
- Envision, plan and strategize for the future of the ARMI .
- Collaborate with faculty, staff, and external contacts to
further the ARMI’s image.
- A Master’s Degree preferred ( MBA or Finance/insurance related
- Insurance industry designation ( CPCU, CLU, etc.).
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- A minimum of five (5) years of experience in a senior capacity
in an insurance-related organization.
- Budget experience highly preferred.
Conditions of Employment
- High proficiency with Microsoft applications (Excel, Word,
Outlook, PowerPoint) essential.
- Experience with report preparation processes.
- Respect for and ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Excellent written, oral and interpersonal skills; excellent
planning, organization and project management skills; the ability
to collaborate with diverse groups of people.
- Must be able to spend considerable time in front of a
- Some night and weekend hours are likely.
- Travel required periodically (conferences and corporate
- On occasion, one may be required to transport materials.
Please be advised, COVID -19 vaccinations are strongly encouraged
but not required for eligible faculty and staff employed by Bowie
State University. This protocol may be subject to change.
BSU offers a generous benefits package, which includes 22 vacation
days, 13 holidays, 15 sick days; comprehensive health insurance and
retirement options; and tuition remission for employees and their
dependents at any of the University System of Maryland
Posting Detail Information
Special Instructions to Applicant
Quick Link for Internal Postings
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a Master's Degree, MBA or a degree in
Finance/insurance related area?
- * Do you possess Insurance industry designation (CPCU, CLU,
- * Do you have a minimum of five (5) years of experience in a
senior capacity in an insurance-related organization?
- Do you have Budget experience?
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Unofficial Transcripts
- Letter of Reference 1
- Letter of Reference 2
- Letter of Reference 3
- Curriculum Vitae
- LinkedIn Profile