Amherst has taken a leadership role among highly selective liberal
arts colleges and universities in successfully diversifying the
racial, socio-economic, and geographic profile of its student body.
The College is similarly committed to enriching its educational
experience and its culture through the diversity of its faculty,
administration and staff.
Amherst College is looking for an Accountant to join the finance
team within the Controller's Office. This is an exciting
opportunity for an accountant to gain experience in general
accounting relating to higher education. The Accountant plays a
valuable role preparing and auditing financial transactions,
analyzing general ledger accounts, and reconciling financial
accounts. This role supports the communication of policies &
procedures and maintenance of expenditures and records.
The Accountant is a full-time, non-exempt, year-round position,
starting at $31/hour commensurate with experience. This position
takes appropriate actions to support a diverse workforce and
participates in the College's efforts to create a respectful,
inclusive, and welcoming work environment. Given Amherst's
distinction as one of the most diverse liberal arts colleges in the
country, the successful candidate will demonstrate the ways in
which they bring value to and will work towards supporting a
broadly diverse community.
Summary of Responsibilities:
- Prepare and analyze journal entries.
- Analyze and reconcile general ledger accounts.
- Prepare budget to actual reports and projections.
- Analyze and reconcile external grant accounts.
- Prepare grant financial reports.
- Assist with monthly, quarterly and year end close.
- Assist with preparation of annual financial audit.
- Create and maintain documented procedures.
- Other responsibilities as needed.
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting, Finance or related
- One year of related professional experience.
- Experience with Generally Accepted Accounting
- Proficient in Microsoft Office products, particularly
- Strong verbal and written communication and interpersonal
- Strong focus on attention to detail and accuracy.
- Excited to work in a dynamic environment. Ability to set and
prioritize responsibilities effectively.
- Commitment to or experience working with a diverse
- Experience with Workday Financials.
- Experience developing and monitoring budgets.
- Experience with federal guidelines. Ability to comprehend and
interpret legal documents.
- Experience in a higher educational setting.
Amherst College offers many opportunities for professional growth
and development, continued learning, and career advancement.
Amherst College is pleased to provide a comprehensive, highly
competitive benefits package that meets the needs of staff and
faculty and their families. Benefits are an important part of our
overall compensation, so it is critical that you review all of the
options to ensure it meets your total compensation requirements.
Click here for Benefits
Interested candidates are asked to submit a resume and cover letter
online at https://amherst.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/Amherst_Jobs
Please be sure to upload all requested documents prior to
clicking Submit. Applications cannot be revised once submitted.
(Current employees and students should apply by clicking on the
Career icon from their Workday home screen)
applications will begin immediately and will continue until the
position is filled.
find information about job group and level (JGL) follow this
To apply, visit https://amherst.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/Amherst_Jobs/job/Amherst-Campus/Accountant_JR3848