Job Vacancy Announcement
Full Time or Part Time
Hiring Salary Range
$15.02 - $17.27/Hourly
Fixed Term/Tenure Track (Faculty Only)
Regular or Temporary
Job Description Summary
The position of Humanities Assistant demands both methodical
attentions to detail in the ongoing maintenance of a designated
academic area. The short-term administrative needs can also be
filled by a Humanities Assistant to support an academic activity or
event. Being a Humanities Assistant involves working with lots of
different constituents, both on-campus and off-campus. The
Humanities Assistants are considered on-call workers who work
during Departmental activities or special events, peak hours or
intermittently when the Department of Humanities needs warrant.
Pedagogy area needs vary depending on the type of Humanities
Assistant that is employed. Employees who are on-call do not
perform work-related tasks until they are called into work.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- High School Diploma or GED .
- Six months to one year of employment as a Humanities assistant
or other equivalent experience at the Center for Performing Arts of
Prince George’s Community College or other academic performance
- A comparable amount of training and experience may be
substituted for the minimum qualifications.
- Ability to interpret college rules, regulations, policies and
- Ability to work independently, manage multiple projects
simultaneously, organize work follow, set priorities, thrive in an
extremely fast-paced environment, and consistently meets
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with students,
faculty, staff and community visitors in person and on the
- Demonstrated ability to work as part of a team.
- Ability to initiate and work independently.
- Ability to organize, plan, and supervise projects and
- Ability to improvise and solve unique technical problems.
The following criteria, which are not the sole
criteria used in the final hiring decision, will be used to review
the applications of those persons who meet the stated minimum
qualifications and to select those qualified applicants who will be
interviewed. Other information and observations made during the
interview process may be considered in the selection process. A
Resume/CV and cover letter are required with the application.
Please ensure that your documents address the criteria listed below
for this position.
- Assist and perform activities, set-up, installation, and
operation of requirements of Humanities Departmental activities and
special events. Serves as a point of contact between the academic
program and the overall department.
- Assist the overall process of a departmental activity or
special event for the Department of Humanities.
- Assist and perform in the shifting/manipulation of all
Humanities Departmental activities and special events.
- Assist in the safe entrance and exit of student talent,
performers, and individuals from Humanities academic teaching
- Assist and perform in related activities, set-up, installation,
and operation of any Humanities academic teaching spaces for
departmental activities and special events.
- Assist and perform in facilitating student learning and
supervise student volunteers in the technical Humanities academic
- Represents the College in a professional, courteous, and
- Assist and perform in the accommodations provided to disabled
- Assist and perform with the Humanities Administrative
Specialist, Artistic Director of Student Programming, Humanities
Art Gallery and Events Assistant, and Department Chairperson, in
the execution of a work-shift or presentation of an event.
- Assist and perform in monitoring the overall physical condition
of the Humanities Academic spaces; coordinating or assisting in
repairs of academic equipment as possible and reporting problems
that cannot be corrected to the appropriate party.
- Ensures safe egress of all aisles and exits of the stage and
theater spaces, maintaining a safe distance around objects for
- Assist and perform in executing technical theatre maintenance
and improvement of equipment, stage, and theatre spaces; coordinate
and assist in repairing equipment or when necessary make
appropriate arrangements to have equipment repaired.
- Performs related work as required.
Must have the use of sensory skills in order to effectively
communicate and interact with other employees and the public
through the use of the telephone and personal contact as normally
defined by the ability to see, read, talk, hear, handle or feel
objects and controls. Physical capability to effectively use and
operate various items of office related equipment, such as, but not
limited to a, personal computer, calculator, copier, and fax
machine. No significant climbing, stooping, kneeling, crouching,
reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, grasping,
and repetitive motions
Is Background Check Required?
- Ability to communicate effectively in spoken and written
- As required by the 1986 Immigration Act, be prepared to present
acceptable documentation showing your identity and that you are a
U.S. citizen or an alien who is authorized to work.
- A background investigation will be conducted prior to the offer
of employment. A signed authorization for the release of personal
information will be required if selected for an interview.
Is the incumbent responsible for working with minor children or
directly engaging with minor children on campus?
Posting Detail Information
Open Until Filled
Background Check Statement
Prince George’s Community College is committed to providing a safe
campus community. PGCC conducts background investigations for
applicants being considered for employment. Background
investigations include reference checks, a criminal history record
check, education verification, and when appropriate, a financial
(credit) report or driving history check.
Special Instructions to Applicants
; you will receive an email acknowledging
receipt of your application, upon which time no further
communication occurs unless selected for an interview or the
position is filled. If recommended for hire, communication is
immediately sent to your references listed on your application.
Also, you will receive an email notification from HireRight
requesting you to submit authorization to complete a background
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a high school diploma?
- * Do you have at least six months to one year of related
experience? See minimum qualifications for this position.
- * Please be advised that as required by the 1986 Immigration
Act, candidates must be prepared to present acceptable
documentation showing identity and that you are a U.S. Citizen or
an alien who is authorized to work. It is the college's policy that
PGCC does not provide sponsorship for prospective employees. Will
you require sponsorship to work in the United States?
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- HigherEd Jobs
- Hispanic Outlook
- Personal Referral
- PGCC Website
- Social Media (LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook)
- The Chronicle of Higher Ed
- The Washington Post
- Other: Please indicate below
- How did you hear about this employment opportunity? If you
selected 'Other' please indicate source:
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter
- Letter of Recommendation 1