Under supervision of the Special Programs Coordinator, the Special
Programs Advisor commits to advising students participating in the
Mayor’s Scholars program (MSP) and other special programs. The
Special Programs Advisor supports student’s academic and personal
development and growth. The Special Programs Advisor ensures
students are adhering to the College’s policies, procedures, and
the requirements of the MSP program. The Special Programs Advisor
works some evening and weekend hours as needed.
- Provides accurate academic, career and transfer advising to new
students, students on academic warning and returning students from
- Builds rapport with students, setting and reinforcing student
- Provides Academic coaching to students who run into obstacles
on their path to degree completion.
- Registers students into classes as needed.
- Works evenings and Saturdays on a rotation schedule and other
times outside of the typical 8AM-5PM schedule as needed.
- Maintains student privacy in compliance with FERPA.
- Assess students course needs and ability using high school
transcripts, Accuplacer or other Multiple Measures.
- Conducts student success workshops.
- Uses electronic tools needed to perform academic advising for
students in-person including Banner, Who’s Next, email, phone, chat
services, Microsoft Teams, Zoom, etc.
- Assist students with course credit transfer reviews and
- Assist students with choosing a career pathway.
- Promotes student engagement and college completion behaviors
connecting students with support services referrals as needed.
- Assist students with understanding degree or certificate
- Review satisfactory academic progress (SAP) to include
developing educational completion plans and support students
through the financial Aid SAP appeal process.
- Completes exit interview for students withdrawing from the
- Supports students through the re-entry and re-enrollment
process after stopping out or returning from academic
- Provide academic advising/coaching for students on academic
- Serves on committees or participating in college-wide
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field such as education
counseling, or an academic field directly related to this
- One year experience as an academic advisor or related academic
functions within higher education.
- Effective communication skills both verbally and in
- Strong presentation skills.
- Experience with Banner or other related CRM system.
- Strong proficiency with Microsoft Office products.
- Master’s Degree in a relevant field such as counseling, higher
education administration, social work, psychology, or another
- Two years as an academic advisor within higher education.
- Professional Advising Certification such as Appreciative
Advising, Career Counseling, Academic Advising etc.
- Experience with case-management advising processes.
- Community college experience.
- Bi-lingual Spanish/English highly preferred.