Assistant Director of Advancement Communications
Office of Advancement
Duration of Position:
Full year / Full time
About Vassar College
Located in the scenic Mid-Hudson Valley, Vassar College is a highly
selective, residential, coeducational liberal arts college. Vassar
stands upon the homelands of the Munsee Lenape.Vassar College is
deeply committed to increasing the diversity of the campus
community and to promoting an environment of equality, inclusion,
and respect for difference. The College is an Equal Opportunity and
Affirmative Action employer, and especially welcomes applications
from veterans, women, individuals with disabilities, and members of
racial, ethnic, and other historically underrepresented
groups.Vassar College is a smoke-free, tobacco-free campus.Note:
Vassar College has a universal vaccination policy requiring a
COVID-19 vaccination, including a booster, for all employees except
for those exempt for medical or religious reasons.Vassar College
offers a comprehensive benefits package for administrators which
includes: 22 vacation days for full time employees - prorated if
not full time, unlimited paid personal and sick time for use at the
supervisor’s approval. 14 paid holidays per year which includes the
week between Christmas and New Year’s Day. A choice of three health
plans (EPO, PPO, High Deductible), Participation in FSA, Dependent
Care, and Transit programs. Voluntary, employee paid dental
insurance plan. Life Insurance and Voluntary Supplemental Life
Insurance Employer paid short-term and long-term disability
programs. 403(b) defined contribution plan after one year of
service. For more information, visit:
New hires will be automatically enrolled in the SRA at a 4%
employee contribution per paycheck. Tuition Benefits- Eligible
after applicable waiting period. For more information, visit:
Position Summary and Responsibilities
Reporting to the Associate Vice President for Advancement
Communications, the Assistant Director of Advancement
Communications provides creative services support for Vassar's
Office of Advancement. This position is responsible for video and
image editing, creation of social media content, designing digital
and print materials, and creating web content.
The Assistant Director for Advancement Communications collaborates
with the team's content creators along with teams across
Advancement and the College to develop creative content and
marketing concepts within strategic, thematic, and branding
frameworks. Additionally, this position serves as a thought partner
to the Associate Vice President for Advancement
- Collaborate with Advancement and Communications teams to create
video concepts in support of alum engagement, appeals and
campaigns, donor relations, and events.
- Edit Advancement related videos for use in email and online
appeals, events, donor reports, social media, and more.
- Develop and produce digital and print collateral in support of
the Office of Advancement to include brochures, donor reports,
invitations, email and print donor appeals, and event signage.
- Design and manage department greeting cards and stationery,
including creating an online system for department ordering of
- Work with external print companies and internal and external
designers tied to material production and distribution.
- Coordinate and collaborate with department stakeholders on
assigned projects through strategic communication and branding
development meetings, email, and project management software
- Develop and maintain familiarity with and fluency in
communicating about the College's goals and priorities.
- Ensure that the College's values of Diversity, Equity,
Inclusion, and Belonging are woven into all of Advancement
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Special Instructions to Applicants
- A minimum of three to five years of related experience,
preferably in a nonprofit or higher education environment.
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in graphic design or a related
- Proficiency in working with software systems, web content
management, photo management and video editing (e.g., social media,
InDesign, Photoshop, Final Cut Pro MailChimp, Encompass, Microsoft
Suite, and WordPress).
- Experience and knowledge of advancement/fundraising
communication and marketing strategies and best practices.
- Storyteller capable of inspiring and motivating an audience
(e.g., alums and donors) through words and images.
- The ability to create concise content and review materials in a
- Proficiency in project management tools, including Asana.
Demonstrated ability to manage projects across multiple teams to a
- Ability to quickly learn the tone and style of the College for
use in communications and design.
- Demonstrated ability to interact effectively with a diverse
community of internal and external constituents, work
independently, maintain confidentiality, and strong organizational
- Able to effectively manage deadlines and multiple, competing
- Appreciation for Vassar’s mission and Advancement’s Vision,
Mission & Values; commitment to the College’s values around
diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging.
To complete your on-line application, you will be required to
attach your resume, cover letter, and contact information for 3
professional references. All attachments must be in PDF format.
Review of applications will begin immediately. If you have any
questions, please contact Human Resources, 845-437-5820.
For full consideration applicants should apply by:
All applicants must apply online at: https://employment.vassar.edu/postings/3180