Master Teacher/Program Coordinator
Athens State University
This is a full-time, 10 month position. The master teacher has
broad responsibilities with the Athens State Teach program that
include coordinating projects with peer master teachers at Athens
State Teach, recruiting prospective science and mathematics
teachers, developing and teaching certification courses at Athens
State University and the local community colleges, supervising
students in the field, and maintaining a strong working
relationship with our partner school districts. The position will
require travel locally and an annual trip to UT Austin for the
UTeach Conference. Future employment is contingent upon
- Teaching Athens State Teach introductory courses on the main
campus and/or the community colleges. Co-teaching Athens State
Teach courses with the faculty.
- Observing Athens State Teach students during field experiences
and supervising interns.
- Assisting with the Athens State Teach program development and
- Advising Athens State Teach students and potential
- Working as a collaborative member of the Athens State Teach
team to recruit students to the program.
- Developing university, school, and community partnerships to
support Athens State Teach.
- Recruiting and developing mentor teachers in the local school
- Assisting co-directors with developing grant proposals and
pursuing external funding to support the Athens State Teach
- Evaluate and grade students' class work, laboratory work,
assignments, and papers.
- Plan, evaluate, and revise curricula, course content, and
course materials and methods of instruction.
- Prepare materials for laboratory activities and course
materials, such as syllabi, homework assignments, and
- Initiate, facilitate, and moderate classroom discussions.
- Maintain student attendance records, grades, and other required
- Compile, administer, and grade examinations.
- Assist students who need extra help with their coursework
outside of class.
- Advise students on academic and vocational curricula and on
- Maintain regularly scheduled office hours to advise and assist
- Serve on the Athens State Teach Steering Committee.
- Participate in student recruitment, registration, and placement
- Select and obtain materials and supplies, such as lesson
resources and laboratory equipment. Maintain or repair lab
- Participate in campus and community events, such as giving
presentations to shareholders.
- Act as adviser to the Athens State Teach student
- Keep abreast of developments in the field by reading current
literature, talking with colleagues and participating in
- Earned Master’s degree in Curriculum & Instruction,
Mathematics Education, or another closely related field from an
- Hold current teaching certificate.
- A minimum of three years of teaching experience in U.S. public
schools with broad experience working with students in mathematics
or science at the middle and/or secondary school level. Evidence of
effective teaching performance may be requested.
- Willingness to participate in innovative teacher education
- Strong collaborative skills and the ability to work as a team
when supporting new initiatives and partnerships with local public
schools, community colleges, and across the university.
- Excellent oral and communication skills.
- Interest in the professional and person growth and career
development of the students.
- Experience as a mentor teacher, lead teacher, teacher coach, or
other similar teacher leadership roles.
- Qualifications and experience appropriate for teaching
undergraduate courses, specifically in general education or
- Experience with obtaining external funding and/or participating
in grant-funded projects.
- Experience in innovation within the field of education,
including the use of evidence-based practices and technology.
- Post-master’s graduate study in math/science education,
teaching and learning, or a related field.
Salary Band: G50 - UTeach grant
To view salary schedules, visit:
Salary will be commensurate with experience and
Special Instructions to Applicants
Unofficial transcripts should be from the college or university
which verifies minimum qualifications for the position. Upon an
offer of employment, official transcripts from all colleges and
universities attended must be submitted. Continued employment is
contingent upon receipt of transcripts from all colleges and
Please provide contact information for three professional
references on your application.
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and
apply on line at the following link: https://jobs.athens.edu/postings/search
About Athens State University
Located in historic Athens, Alabama, Athens State University offers
junior and senior-level coursework to community college graduates
and transfer students holding sufficient credits from other
institutions. Presently, over 3,100 students have selected Athens
State because of its neighborly environment where 50 majors and
degree programs are offered, with courses taught by a supportive
and exceptional faculty. Approximately 80% of the students are
enrolled in at least one online course. The typical student is a
working adult who commutes. Recently, the University was featured
in the 2015 Best Value Online College Rankings by OnlineU.org for
four online programs including computer science, accounting,
education and human resources. The University offers undergraduate
degree programs in Liberal Arts, Teacher Preparation, and Business.
The University employs more than 350 full and part-time employees
with approximately 90 full-time faculty members in three colleges:
College of Arts and Sciences, College of Business, and College of
Education. Seventy-five percent of the full-time faculty members
hold a terminal degree. The University is accredited by the
Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on
Athens, Alabama is located in north Alabama equidistant between
Nashville, TN and Birmingham, AL. Athens is home to several events
and festivals that have been featured as the Southeast Tourism
Society’s “Top 20 Events in the Southeast” including the Athens
Storytelling Festival and the Tennessee Valley Old Time Fiddlers
In accordance with Athens State University Policy and guidelines,
the applicant chosen for employment will be required to sign a
consent form for a criminal background check. Employment will be
contingent upon the receipt of a clearance notification from that
criminal background check.
Non-Discrimination Policy Statement Athens State University, as
an equal opportunity/affirmative action institution, complies with
all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination
and affirmative action. Athens State University does not
discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age,
marital status, gender, gender identity, gender expression,
pregnancy, sexual orientation, disability, religion, genetic
information, or veteran status in employment, or admissions to or
participation in educational programs and activities. Inquiries or
concerns may be addressed to the Office of the Vice President of
Enrollment and Student Support Services, 300 N. Beaty St., Athens,
AL 35611, 256- 233-8175.