Commitment to Mission
This job carries with it the obligation to uphold the Mission of
Lone Star College (LSC) in carrying out the duties of the position.
A commitment to positive interpersonal behaviors, professional
communication, diversity, integrity, leadership, stewardship,
respect and accountability to LSC students and employees is
- One LSC
- Student Focused
- Own It
- Advance Equity
- Cultivate Community
- Choose Learning
The Chronicle of Higher Education’s “Great Colleges to Work For” is
designed to recognize colleges that have been successful in
creating great workplaces and to further research and understanding
of the factors, dynamics and influences that have the most impact
on organizational culture at higher education institutions.
Lone Star College was recognized in eight areas:
Professional Development; Mission & Pride;
Supervisor/Department Chair Effectiveness; Confidence in Senior
Leadership; Faculty & Staff Well-Being; Shared Governance;
Faculty Experience; Diversity, Inclusion & Belonging
Campus Marketing Statement
Lone Star College-North Harris
Lone Star College offers high-quality, low-cost academic transfer
and career training education to 93,000+ students each semester.
LSC has been named a 2021 Great Colleges to Work For® institution
by the Chronicle of Higher Education and ranked 35th in Texas in
the Forbes ‘America’s Best Employers By State’ list.
LSC consists of eight colleges, seven centers, eight Workforce
Centers of Excellence and Lone Star Corporate College.
Lone Star College-North Harris, nestled on 200 acres of piney
woods, is the original and largest college in the Lone Star College
System family. Serving the community for more than three decades,
LSC-North Harris offers more than 60 programs of study, including
university-transfer and numerous education courses and programs.
LSC-North Harris is keenly focused on leading-edge technology in
emerging technical job fields.
Location address is 2700 W.W. Thorne Drive, Houston, TX
PURPOSE AND SCOPE:
The primary purpose of this position is to provide Reader/Scribe
services at in-class lectures, discussions, and tests, and
potentially a variety of other situations. Readers/Scribes support
and promote all students’ right to communication equity in the
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Takes lecture notes/dictation for students in a classroom
setting (may include, but is not limited to, notes from class
lecture, video/audio presentations, handouts, and written
information presented on the board)
- Fills-in and writes-out test answers for students at their
- Takes student work and verbally relay information in a
- Maintains professional boundaries in class and during
- Supports and promotes all faculty and students' rights to
equity in the classroom and work environment
- Learns to use and demonstrates adaptive technology to
- Converts and edits academic media
- Responsible for other reasonable, related duties as
- Ability to work a flexible schedule
- Must be punctual and reliable
- Excellent command of the English language
- Active listener and strong ability to take clear and accurate
notes at a reasonable speed
- Ability to take clear and accurate dictation
- Ability to verbally relay information for students in a
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to maintain professional boundaries in class and during
- Comfortable working with special populations
- Ability and commitment to working collaboratively
- High-level of communication and computer skills
- Commitment to quality service to students
- Ability to maintain confidentiality when working with
- Ability to use various software programs
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication
- Ability to work independently
The work is sedentary. Typically, the employee sits comfortably to
do the work. However, there may be some walking; standing; bending;
carrying of light items, such as papers, books, or small parts; or
driving an automobile. No special physical demands are required to
perform the work.
WORK SCHEDULE AND CONDITIONS:
- Equipment used includes, PC workstation running on a LAN in a
Microsoft Windows environment, calculator, phone and other general
- Interface with internal and external contacts as needed to
carry out the functions of the position
- Work is performed in a climate-controlled office with minimal
exposure to safety hazards
- Hours will vary based on student/department needs. May require
evening and weekend hours
- High school diploma or GED
Hourly Pay Rate is $11.32
Benefits Marketing Statement
By joining our top-notch institution, you will enjoy being a part
of an organization that offers a supportive, collegial work
environment, excellent work/life balance, tuition waiver,
participation in a tax deferred retirement plan and more.
Go to the Job Search page, click on ‘My Activities’ at the top of
the page. Under My Cover Letters and Attachments you will click on
‘Add Attachment.’ Please be sure to put the Job ID# in the title
once you name your file for cover letters only, unless you attached
your cover letter with your resume.
If you are applying for an Instructional position (i.e. Faculty,
Adjunct Faculty, Instructor), please ensure you include the
following to be considered: Resume/CV, Cover Letter, Teaching
Philosophy, and unofficial transcripts.
You must limit your file name for any attachment to 40 characters
How to Apply
ALL APPLICANTS MUST APPLY ONLINE ONLY
We will not accept application material received via fax, email,
mail, or hand delivered.
Postings for part-time and adjunct positions are active for the
academic year. By selecting the option to receive notifications on
your profile, you will begin receiving electronic communication
regarding new opportunities with Lone Star College (LSC).
If selected for an interview, a recruiter will contact you by
phone, or email to schedule an interview.
Lone Star College participates in the E-Verify program, under which
Lone Star College provides the federal government with information
from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm that the employee is
authorized to work in the United States.
More information on the E-Verify program is available at www.dhs.gov/E-Verify
Lone Star College is an EEO Employer. All positions are
subject to a criminal background check.