The Instructional Design & Technology program (IDT) in the Department of Education, Health and Behavior Studies in the College of Education and Human Development at the University of North Dakota is inviting applications for a tenure-track Assistant/Associate Professor position. Incorporating learning sciences as a foundational component, the IDT program reflects the instructional needs of contemporary schools and the workplace. The program is currently undergoing a program redesign aiming at augmenting its curriculum to offer a wide variety of the most up-to-date courses to prepare high quality instructional designers, learning analysts, learning technologists, curriculum designers, as well as effective school teachers and college instructors. The IDT program offers Master degree of Science, as well as certificates of eLearning, Corporate Training & Performance, and K-12 Technology Integration. It also has tracks in the Education, Health, & Behavior Studies Ph.D program and Educational Practice & Leadership Ed.D. program. The position will be primarily on-campus (not remote).
The University of North Dakota is committed to creating an inclusive and equitable environment that respects, acknowledges and celebrates diversity and individual differences. Successful applicants for this position will demonstrate a commitment to equity and inclusion through interest or past experience, as well as the ability to work and collaborate in a diverse, multicultural, and inclusive setting.
Benefits include single or family health care coverage (UND pays the full premium), basic life insurance, employee assistance program, retirement plans with generous employer contributions, and 10 paid holidays.
Optional benefits include supplemental life, dental, vision, flexible spending account, supplemental retirement plans.
UND also offers an employee tuition waiver and a variety of professional development opportunities.
Find out more about UND's great benefits and perks here!
Duties & Responsibilities
The successful candidate will develop and teach face-to-face, online, hybrid, and hyflex courses at the graduate level, advise master’s and doctoral students, and assist in the operations and improvement of the program. The candidate will also play an important role in supporting the Teaching Transformation and Development Academy (TTaDA) on campus in fulfilling its mission of providing instructional consultation and facilitation to faculty in adopting innovative instructional practices and technology. The candidate should also expect to provide service to the university, college, and department, as well as professional associations. UND and the College value diverse perspectives and seek applicants who are committed to helping students from underrepresented backgrounds succeed. The successful candidate will possess strong writing and organizational skills and maintain positive professional relationships with students and colleagues.
- Design and teach IDT graduate courses
- Advise master's and doctoral students
- Contribute to the routine operations and on-going development of the program
- Engage in research and produce publications in instructional design, learning sciences, and educational technology fields
- Serve on department, college, and university committees, as well as play an active role in professional associations
- Teaching learning analytics, learning sciences, instructional technology, eLearning, or instructional design courses at the graduate level Familiar with ADDIE process IDT experience in K-12, higher education, corporate, industry, or military training Teaching in face-to-face, online, hybrid, or hyflex platforms Conducting research in instructional design, learning sciences, or instructional technology related fields Advising graduate students, theses, dissertations, or independent studies
- An earned doctorate in instructional design, instructional technology, learning sciences, or related fields by the time of hire
- Successful completion of criminal history records check
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the US and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.
- Experience in teaching learning analytics related courses Experience and expertise in teaching Educational Technology Integration in K-12 Experience and expertise in teaching graphic design, web-based instruction, or computer-based Instructional materials development Demonstrate experience and excellence in teaching learning sciences or instructional design courses Experience and expertise in the application of instructional design and technology in K-12, higher education, business, industry, or military training settings Experience in teaching ADDIE process Teaching experience in related areas at the graduate level An established record of scholarly publications and presentations Experience and training in instructional design, multimedia development, digital media and the use of related software applications Experience advising master’s and doctoral students Experience in designing and teaching face-to-face, online, and hybrid/hyflex courses
Minimum Hiring Salary
Salary is competitive and will be commensurate with experience.
Contract Period/Start Date
9-month contract/August 16, 2023
For full consideration, applications must be received by May 15, 2023 and include the following materials:
- A cover letter of application highlighting qualifications for the position A complete curriculum vita Names and contact information of three references Other evidence of scholarship, teaching, and professional leadership
- Unofficial transcripts. Please note that the selected candidate will be required to submit official transcripts upon hire.
Position is open until filled.