Position Title: Coordinator, Campus Spirit
Department: Student Life
Advertised Pay: $36,635
Campus Location: Washburn University
The screening committee will review all eligible applications
submitted by May 6, 2023
Position Summary: The Coordinator, Campus Spirit is
responsible for the management and administration of all activities
related to Cheer, Dance, the University Mascot, and student pep
squads and exercises direct supervision of recruiting, training,
and coaching students participating in these activities. The
Coordinator also serves as the “chief spirit officer” for the
University designing and implementing programs that incorporate
school spirit activation in new or long-standing University events
At Washburn University, co-curricular activities are a meaningful
part of a student’s educational experience, and all staff are
committed to supporting academic excellence and graduation by
monitoring students’ academic progress, well-being, and class
attendance. As a member of the Washburn Community, the Coordinator,
Campus Spirit is fully responsible for compliance with policies and
procedures as well as all applicable bylaws of the governing body
of the sport, compliance with National Collegiate Athletic
Association (NCAA) regulations, as well as Mid America
Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) rules and all policies
and procedures serving as the model for appropriate conduct towards
officials, spectators, and athletes while being committed to equity
and inclusion in all activities.
• Coach (51%) either the Washburn Cheer team or Washburn Dancing
• Supervise the coach of the alternate sport
• Develop and implement strategy while managing a spirit team
scholarship budget in a coordinated effort with the Office of
Financial Aid and the Office of Admission to evaluate talent, and
recruit and retain spirit team members.
• Develop and manage team operations and budget including
coaching/choreography, equipment, travel, meals, uniforms,
supplies, and various other training and performance logistics to
ensure a consistent, high-quality professional spirit team member
experience and presence at campus and community events.
• Developing a regular practice/rehearsal schedule to provide both
individual and team development for cheer and dance.
• Evaluate students’ skills and review performance at practice or
events to determine the needs for individual or team improvement
and adjust coaching techniques as necessary based on the strengths
and weaknesses of the team.
• Monitoring the use of equipment to ensure safe and proper use and
following established procedures in the event of injury.
• Drive vans to transport team when appropriate.
• Plan, promote and conduct camps, clinics, and/or lessons to
generate awareness of Washburn University and the spirit team
program while generating revenue to assist in underwriting spirit
• Organize and conduct spirit activation in collaboration with the
Department of Athletics, Department of Music, Student Life, Office
of University Relations, and the Office of Advancement to ensure
students and attendees are engaged and entertained at community,
campus, and athletic events.
• Spirit activation includes but is not limited to ensuring the
University has a presence in the community through Spirit Team
engagements, and assisting other units with planning to incorporate
brand affinity building into events.
• Perform additional job-related duties as assigned or as
• Bachelor’s degree.
• Experience as a coach or athlete in a collegiate level
• Demonstrated effective interpersonal, communication, and
• Ability to work effectively to establish and maintain positive
relationships with students, parents, alumni and University
• Proven ability to clearly explain cheer or dance skills to
• Demonstrated knowledge of the rules, regulations, strategies, and
techniques for cheer and dance.
• A driver's license with a driving record acceptable by University
• Ability to lift 25 pounds.
• Ability to attend practice and competitive sessions indoors and
• Adaptable to the office environment and indoor/outdoor athletic
• Some travel, evening and weekend work required.
• Bachelor's degree or experience in marketing, project management,
event planning, or physical education.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Full time Exempt Shift Varies
Background Check and Driving History Required