Other, Academic Affairs
The Animal Caretaker is responsible for the monitoring and care of
animals and supports the Biology, Psychology, Animal Behavior, and
Neuroscience Programs. Animal care at Bucknell is a necessary and
critical component that allows Bucknell to be in full compliance
with Federal Regulations regarding animal housing and care. This
position reports to the Animal Caretaker Manager.
- Animal handling, feeding and food preparation.
- Monitoring of food and liquid intake for animals.
- Provision of adequate environmental enrichment.
- Early detection of signs of illness, injury, pregnancy, or
abnormalities in physiology or behavior.
- Routine cleaning of cages and animal living spaces.
- Maintaining close contact with faculty and student researchers,
as well as with the University's consulting veterinarian,
especially when a problem is detected or suspected.
- Attend regular training as directed to keep abreast of changing
regulations and standards of humane animal care.
- Keep records of day-to-day animal care (e.g. including feeding,
cleaning, health checks).
- Other duties as assigned.
- Previous experience and training in animal care
- Demonstrated ability to obtain training by the American
Association for Laboratory Animal Science (AALAS) to be certified
as a Laboratory Animal Technician (LAT)
- Ability to work weekends and holidays
- A current and valid driver's license
- Some immunizations are required
- Caretakers are expected to have good communication skills and
be comfortable using email and Microsoft Word and Excel
- Above a minimum of AALAS-LAT certification, AALAS Laboratory
Animal Technician (LATG) certification is preferred, or a
willingness to pursue the additional training required for
qualification as a LATG
- Knowledge of animal care within the context of biomedical
- Previous experience in a clean room environment
- Ability to lift a minimum of 50 pounds without
- Exposure to laboratory animals and their waste
- Requires indoor and outdoor work including exposure to
This is a casual, part-time, non-benefits eligible position.
This role is not budgeted for visa sponsorship at this time, all
candidates must be authorized to work in the US at the time of
submission of the application.
This is a Staff Non-Exempt position with a hiring rate of $15. The
offer rate will be based on a review of the candidate's credentials
compared to the qualifications of the position, internal equity,
and our overall compensation philosophy.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion:
Bucknell is committed to fostering an environment that embraces
diversity, equity and inclusion, and seeks candidates who will
contribute to a climate that supports the growth and development of
a diverse campus community. We endeavor to enhance our capacity to
value and capitalize on the cultural richness that diversity
brings. We encourage all individuals to apply and do not
discriminate in admissions, employment, educational programs and/or
activities on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin,
age, religion, disability, pregnancy, sex/gender, gender identity
and/or expression, sexual orientation, marital or family status,
military or veteran status, or genetic information.
To apply, visit https://careers.bucknell.edu/en-us/job/496899/animal-caretaker