Get to Know American University
At American University we value open and honest inquiry, servant
leadership, and the affirmation of the human dignity of all. We
envision a thriving AU community where individuals of all
identities and experiences are understood, appreciated, and fully
included, and where equitable treatment, opportunities, and
Our diverse community of students, faculty, and staff represent
every state and more than 150 countries. Our internationally
recognized faculty are today's thought leaders in the areas of
public policy, law, the arts, communications, international
development, and more. Our staff are innovative, service-oriented,
and dedicated to moving the university towards achieving its
strategic goals. We are committed to an excellent experience for
all of our students, faculty and staff and share a passion for
creating change through our knowledge and our work.
Learn more about American University by clicking here .
The Executive Assistant provides high-level administrative support
to the Office of the Chief of Staff and Counselor to the President.
This includes, but is not limited to, maintaining calendars, making
travel arrangements, coordinating meetings, and preparing meeting
agendas and materials. The Executive Assistant also serves as a
liaison and coordinates executive outreach and oversees special
projects. The Executive Assistant must be responsive, forward
thinking and enjoy working within a collaborative, fast-paced
environment. Managing sensitive matters with a high level of
confidentiality and discretion is critical.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
- Administration:The Executive Assistant provides
administrative support to the Chief of Staff, including managing
the calendar, managing schedule requests, managing multiple phone
lines, and frequently collaborating with other direct reports. This
position coordinates logistics for meetings including managing the
attendee invites and responses, preparing materials and agendas
and, if necessary, takes minutes. Arrange travel and accommodations
for the Chief of Staff. Prepares expense reports.
- Projects and Operations:The Executive Assistant provides
project management support. Responsible for the direct management
and oversight of day-to-day operations, ensuring the office runs
smoothly. This includes developing, managing, and synchronizing
archive and filing systems across all platforms (email, computer
files, hard copy), coordinating any necessary maintenance or IT
requests, and ordering office supplies as needed.
- Budget and Finances:Directs and coordinates resource
allocation for the office’s operating budget, and business
operations including vendor management, payroll, accounts payable,
receivables management, contract administration, and shared
administrative resource management.
- Human Resources/Personnel Management:Directs all
personnel procedures including the position management,
recruitment, employment, evaluation and salary administration of
staff consistent with AU policies and procedures. With the Chief of
Staff, implements strategic personnel objectives.
- Serves as back-up to the President’s administrative support
when they are unavailable or need assistance. Serves as back-up in
the creation of the daily binder for the President.
- Other:Ability to function well in a high-paced
environment; performs additional duties as assigned by the Chief of
Required Education and Experience
- Full-Time, 35 hours/week.
- Sr. Coordinator/Analyst A.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent.
- 5-8 years of relevant experience
- Must be extremely organized and have excellent written and oral
- Able to work well under pressure, in project teams, multi-task
and prioritize workload, handle difficult situations and interact
with senior leadership as well as general constituency.
- A very high level of discretion is required from this position
due to exposure and access to highly confidential and sensitive
- Flexible hours as dictated by the needs of business for
projects and meetings.
- Business sense - has a strong business sense and can decipher
priorities and make sound judgment calls when needed.
- Commitment to excellence - perform duties at the highest level
possible on a consistent basis.
- Excellent communicator - able to interact with people of all
levels in a confident, professional manner.
- Team player - have team-oriented experience and approach.
- Service focus - dedicated to meeting the expectations of the
Chief of Staff and other senior executives by maintaining effective
relationships with interested parties.
- Previous experience supporting an executive and/or managing an
- Ability to think outside of the box with a sense of
- Experience with Microsoft Office suite.
- Advanced Proficiency using Microsoft Office suite including
Word, PowerPoint, and Excel to develop briefings, presentations and
reports and conduct data analysis.
- Ability to provide high levels of customer service and exercise
tact and diplomacy while interacting with university staff and
faculty on sensitive matters.
- Proven ability to work cross functionally, influence others and
- Experience with Colleague and BI a plus.
- Must be willing to work non-standard hours (evenings and/or
weekends) when needed.
AU offers a competitive benefits package including a 200% matching
retirement plan, tuition benefits for full-time staff and their
families, several leadership development certificates, and has been
recognized by the American Heart Association as a fit-friendly
worksite.Click here to learn about American University's unique
benefit options .
Current American University Employees
- Hiring offers for this position are contingent on successful
completion of a background check.
- Employees in staff positions at American University must
deliver their services to the university from either the District
of Columbia, Maryland, or Virginia, or perform work on-site at the
- Please note this job announcement is not designed to cover or
contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or
responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job.
Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time
with or without notice.
If you are a current employee at American University, please log
intoAsuccessfulU through themyAU portal . Once in AsuccessfulU,
please select the Careers tile which will take you to our internal
For more information or assistance with the American University
careers site, email email@example.com .
American University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action
institution that operates in compliance with applicable laws and
regulations. The university does not discriminate on the basis of
race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy),
age, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, personal
appearance, gender identity and expression, family
responsibilities, political affiliation, source of income, veteran
status, an individual’s genetic information or any other bases
under federal or local laws (collectively "Protected Bases") in its
programs and activities.
Nearest Major Market: