The Director of Media Relations reports to the Associate Vice
President for Public Affairs and is responsible for promoting
Middlebury and its entities to local, regional, national, and
international media, working to enhance Middlebury's reputation
among various audiences, including the general public, faculty,
staff, students, parents, alumni, and other supporters. The
Director of Media Relations works closely with colleagues in the
Office of Communications and Marketing and with constituents to
identify and pitch stories of interest to the media and develop
communications strategy in support of Middlebury's mission and
strategic initiatives. The Director of Media Relations serves as
editor, writer, and project lead on various communications
initiatives across channels-including news, internal and external
communications, and digital media-and supports the goals of
partners across the Middlebury enterprise—the College, Middlebury
Institute of International Studies at Monterey, Bread Loaf Writers'
Conferences, Bread Loaf School of English, Language Schools, and
Schools Abroad. The Director of Media Relations is a key member of
the Crisis Communications Team, a spokesperson for Middlebury, and
backup for the AVP for Public Affairs as crisis communications
lead. Applicants should note that this is a locally based hybrid
position with some in-office time and presence on campus expected
Middlebury's Office of Communications and Marketing
The Public Affairs team comprises media relations, social media,
internal and external communications, and crisis management in the
Office of Communications and Marketing. Our talented team is
involved in nearly every aspect of Middlebury-anticipating issues,
helping to manage change, telling the stories of our community, and
serving as trusted advisors.
The Office of Communications and Marketing is a resource for all
Middlebury entities that have something to communicate to their
community members, stakeholders, and audiences. We work as partners
across the institution—in the schools, institutes, centers,
programs, and departments—in everything from strategy to finished
We're well versed in the power of compelling content across all
platforms and are equipped to work with institutional partners on a
projects. We also publish Middlebury Magazine, are
involved in internal and crisis communications efforts, think (a
lot) about how Middlebury is perceived in the world and how we can
influence that, and maintain Middlebury's graphic identity
standards. We are experts in helping tell stories and getting
messages across, whether to reach prospective students, current
students, alumni, parents, faculty, staff, or any other audience.
Our experienced staff works with offices and departments across the
institution to develop communication and marketing strategies and
create compelling print and digital products.
Middlebury is an equal-opportunity employer where diversity,
equity, and inclusion are core values. To this end, we recruit
talented and diverse faculty, staff, and students from across the
United States and around the world. Middlebury encourages
applications from women, people of color, people with disabilities,
and members of other protected classes and historically
underrepresented communities. The College also invites applications
from individuals who demonstrate an ongoing commitment to advancing
diversity, equity, and inclusion in the workplace.
- Develop timely and newsworthy content for proactive pitching
and distribution to the media.
- Respond to and leverage incoming media inquiries to support
Middlebury's strategic initiatives and reputation and serve as a
spokesperson for Middlebury.
- Monitor daily news coverage of Middlebury and create a weekly
report of highlights, sharing content with senior leadership and
the Crisis Communications Team.
- Draft official statements, announcements, reports, plans, and
other written items with the AVP for Public Affairs, the VP for
Communications, and other members of the administration.
- Develop and write announcements and news stories about
institutional news, major events, students, faculty, staff, and
- Identify and connect Middlebury experts with reporters for
real-time news stories.
- Serve on the Crisis Communications Team and Emergency
Management Team to inform the Middlebury constituencies and media
about timely and unfolding developments.
- Organize press conferences and special events for major
- Advise faculty, staff, and students about media relations and
- Assist faculty and staff in development and pitching of opinion
- Manage the relationship with Middlebury's news distribution
vendor; maintain and leverage media contacts database and news
distribution tool, e.g. Cision.
- Bachelor's degree in public relations, communications,
journalism, or related field and 10 years of experience in a
strategic communications role, preferably in higher education.
- Deep understanding of the evolving media landscape, journalism,
and public affairs environments with an "enterprise view" of
Middlebury and how its various entities connect.
- Proven ability to build and maintain relationships with local
and national media.
- Experience serving as a spokesperson in a complex
- Demonstrated ability to develop and execute communications
- Attuned to news about higher education and Middlebury, with an
understanding of local, state, and national government structures
and their impact on higher education. Stays abreast of world and
- Ability to anticipate and prepare for potential issues that
affect Middlebury and influence its reputation.
- Superior writing and editing skills with strong news judgment
and ability to translate complex topics.
- Strong interpersonal skills and diplomacy.
- Ability to meet deadlines and shift priorities as needed to
respond to emerging issues and crises.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality and handle sensitive
information in a discreet fashion.
- Knowledge of and experience with media and digital tracking
tools, e.g. Cision, Muckrack, and Google analytics.
- Previous management experience in a communications environment
This is a benefits-eligible, exempt (salaried) position
with a hiring range of $67,800 - $84,700 annually.
As an employee of Middlebury College, you will enjoy being part
of a vibrant supportive community.
Middlebury Colleges offers its employees excellent compensation
and competitive health, dental, life, disability, generous
retirement matching, and vision benefits. Middlebury offers a
generous time-away program - up to 34 days per year during the
first two years of service, increasing as the term of service
lengthens. Middlebury employees are eligible for robust educational
assistance programs as well as free or reduced rates for cultural
events and use of sporting facilities (including the College's golf
course and Nordic and alpine ski areas). The result is a very high
quality-of-life in a gorgeous setting.
- Excellent Health Benefits: choose between a Low Deductible PPO
or a HDHP with employer HSA contributions up to $2,000 per year, as
well as vision and dental insurance options
- Retirement 403a with generous Employer contribution of 9% - 11%
after 2 years of service (3% contribution for first 2 years).
Option to start at the higher match level when transferring from an
employer who matched at least 3% toward a qualifying retirement
- Generous Dependent
Tuition Benefit to pay for dependents' tuition at accredited
colleges and universities
- Optional Flexible Spending Accounts (Dependent Care and
- Core Life and AD&D
- Short Term Disability
- Long Term Disability
- Combined Time Off (CTO): 26 days of paid time off a year for
vacation or sick days in the first 2 years. 31 days of CTO
- Holidays: Floating Holidays throughout the year as well as Paid
Holiday from Christmas through New Year
- MiddCard Privileges: access to athletic facilities, discounts
at the College store, library privileges, and discounts at cultural
and sporting events. In addition, the card allows door access to
certain campus buildings. Spouses or domestic partners of
benefits-eligible employees are eligible to receive a
Spouse/Partner card with the same privileges as the employee card
(except door access).
- Discounts on season passes at Middlebury Snowbowl, the Ralph
Myhre Golf Course and the Rikert Outdoor Center
- Professional Development and Continuing Education Funds
To apply visit https://apply.workable.com/middleburycollege/j/3927F7FF50/.