Arizona State University
Department Name: Journalism & Mass Comm
Campus: Downtown Phoenix
The Walter Cronkite School Of Journalism and Mass Communication is searching for an Administrative Assistant. The successful candidate performs varied advanced secretarial and administrative work unique to the work unit requiring initiative and independent judgment. Incumbents work independently under general direction. Maintains official records, and implements administrative policies. Handles problems and non-routine situations by determining the approach or action to take and interprets guidelines, procedures, policies and practices. Incumbents may have contact with high-level administrative offices requiring use of business vocabulary, tact, discretion and judgment.
Depends on experience
- Executes a variety of office administrative and/or secretarial support activities for supervisor such as composing replies to correspondence on own initiative, interpreting and explaining established policies and procedures in response to inquiries from a variety of sources, summarizing reports and information to facilitate review by supervisor, and investigating, evaluating and resolving problems within scope of position.
- Provides office operations support such as receiving and screening telephone calls and visitors, scheduling meetings, conferences, seminars, and special events, maintaining supervisor's calendar, maintaining record-keeping systems, opening and reviewing incoming mail, and responding to inquiries. Prepares or directs preparation of minutes, notices, manuals, agendas and correspondence with all supporting documentation, requiring application of specialized knowledge of the assigned function.
- Monitors and updates inventory, time, budget, payroll, and account records for direct reports; monitors expenditures and performs simple analysis on accounts; authorizes and/or approves payments within established department/unit guidelines. Plans and arranges conferences, meetings and/or special events under general instructions from supervisor; communicates arrangements to appropriate individuals.
- Arranges necessary travel reservations and itineraries; anticipates and prepares background materials needed.
- Implements new policies, procedures and practices impacted by decisions made by supervisor at meetings and/or conferences.
- May supervise or coordinate the activities of subordinates.
- Backup support for the Executive Assistant to the Dean.
Four (4) years secretarial/administrative experience; OR, Certificate in Secretarial Science AND three (3) years of secretarial/administrative experience; OR, Any equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
- Experience working with executive-level individuals
- Evidence of effective communication skills
- Experience in dealing with confidential and sensitive information
- Experience in maintaining effective working relationships in a diverse population
- Experience in work that required organizational skills and project management skills
- Experience in managing multiple high-priority activities requiring considerable coordination and follow-through
Demonstrated ability in:
- Analyzing, comprehending and resolving complex issues
- Coordinating and organizing meetings and/or special events
- Computer software, including Microsoft Office applications (i.e., Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook), Google suite applications (i.e., docs, sheets, drive, etc) or its equivalent
Our office is located at 555 North Central Avenue, Phoenix.
- Activities are performed in an environmentally controlled office setting subject to extended periods of sitting, keyboarding, and manipulating a computer mouse
- Regular activities require ability to quickly change priorities which may include and/or are subject to resolution of conflicts
- Communicate to perform essential functions
- Use standard office equipment including, but not limited to computer workstation/laptop (keyboard, monitor, mouse), printer, calculator, copier, telephone and associated computer/technology peripherals
The Cronkite School is widely recognized as one of the nation’s premier colleges of journalism and mass communication. Rooted in the time-honored values that characterize its namesake – accuracy, responsibility, integrity – the school fosters excellence and ethics among students as they master the professional skills they need to succeed in the digital media world of today and tomorrow.
Located on ASU’s downtown Phoenix campus in the heart of the nation’s fifth-largest city, with additional centers in Los Angeles and Washington, D.C., the school has 70 full-time faculty members and more than 100 full-time professional staff and annual resources of more than $40 million. The Cronkite faculty is made up of award-winning professional journalists, strategic communications specialists and world-class media scholars. Cronkite professors include five Pulitzer Prize-winning journalists, digital media thought leaders, top TV producers and correspondents, major metropolitan newspaper editors and strategic communications experts.
Cronkite offers bachelor’s degrees in journalism and mass communication, sports journalism, digital audiences, mass communication and media studies, and digital media literacy. The School offers master’s degrees in mass communication, sports journalism, investigative journalism and digital audience strategy as well as a Ph.D. program in journalism and mass communication.
Nearly 2,500 undergraduate, master’s degree and doctoral students are enrolled at Cronkite, preparing for careers in journalism, strategic media and related communications fields. Of the undergraduate residential student population, more than 60% come from out-of-state and more than 37% are students of color. The retention rate consistently exceeds 90%, and Cronkite students regularly lead the country in national journalism competitions. The school champions a “teaching hospital” model of education, for which it has received international acclaim.
Arizona State University is a new model for American higher education, an unprecedented combination of academic excellence, entrepreneurial energy and broad access. This New American University is a single, unified institution comprising four differentiated campuses positively impacting the economic, social, cultural and environmental health of the communities it serves. Its research is inspired by real world application blurring the boundaries that traditionally separate academic disciplines. ASU serves more than 100,000 students in metropolitan Phoenix, Arizona, the nation's fifth largest city. ASU champions intellectual and cultural diversity, and welcomes students from all fifty states and more than one hundred nations across the globe.
ASU is a tobacco-free university. For details visit https://wellness.asu.edu/explore-wellness/body/alcohol-and-drugs/tobacco
Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
Notice of Availability of the ASU Annual Security and Fire Safety Report
In compliance with federal law, ASU prepares an annual report on campus security and fire safety programs and resources. ASU’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available online at https://www.asu.edu/police/PDFs/ASU-Clery-Report.pdf. You may request a hard copy of the report by contacting the ASU PD at 480-965-3456.
Relocation Assistance – For information about schools, housing child resources, neighborhoods, hospitals, community events, and taxes, visit https://cfo.asu.edu/az-resources.
Employment Verification Statement
ASU conducts pre-employment screening which may include verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications.
Background Check Statement
ASU conducts pre-employment screening for all positions which includes a criminal background check, verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications. Employment is contingent upon successful passing of the background check.
Instructions to Apply
Application deadline is 3:00PM Arizona time on the date indicated.
Please include all employment information in month/year format (e.g., 6/88 to 8/94), job title, job duties and name of employer for each position.
Resume should clearly illustrate how prior knowledge and experience meets the Minimum and Desired qualifications of this position.
ASU does not pay for travel expenses associated with interviews, unless otherwise indicated.
Only electronic applications are accepted for this position.
To view full description or to apply please click this link:
Administrative Assistant | Arizona State University (brassring.com)