Communications Officer - Casual Opportunity
Other, Clerical / Support, Public Safety
The Communications Officer operates the Public Safety
Communications Center at Bucknell University. The Communications
Officer maintains communications between Public Safety personnel,
the Bucknell community and external constituencies. This person
will perform a full range of duties in a 24 hour communication
center to include answering routine and emergency telephone and
radio calls, dispatching officers, providing information,
fire/intrusion monitoring, use of NCIC and JNET criminal/traffic
computers and monitoring all incoming camera video. This position
also maintains an accurate log of all operations according to
Federal Communications regulations.
● Monitor and operate the
surveillance system (Genetec Camera system).
● Operate the NCIC/JNET (computerized index of criminal justice
information) system/computer to retrieve information for patrol
● Operate the emergency alert and notification systems (RAVE Alert
and Whelen systems).
● Perform all functions on the C-Cure Card Access System.
● Dispatch officers and personnel to all incidents, alarms, and
emergencies on campus.
● Maintain an accurate log of operations in the Informant System
according to Federal Communications regulations.
● Answer all routine and emergency telephone calls and provide
information to visitors at the Public Safety office as well as the
● Coordinate service and communicate, as necessary, with staff,
students, faculty and outside agencies and organizations.
● Retrieve and communicate all information in the CEMS Program for
Material Safety Data Sheets.
● Issue all equipment for lock up staff and contract
● Contact Student Medical Driver for transportation to medical
● Coordinate and contact Facilities for routine and emergency calls
● Submit Work Orders for repairs across campus as needed.
● Retrieve all student and employee vehicle information in the AIMS
● Monitor the fire, intrusion and panic alarms on campus and at
Bucknell owned off campus facilities.
● Monitor river levels for potential flooding and notify the proper
● Assist Residential Life during holidays, breaks and after hours
with building access duties, including but not limited to, issuing
temporary BU ID Cards, distributing keys after hours, and
contacting the RA's for room lockouts, etc.
● Stay abreast of all departmental and university policies and
● Must obtain and maintain APCO and EMD Certifications.
● Support through continued education and equitable actions the
University's commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion.
● Perform various departmental duties as requested by supervisors
or staff in the department.
● High school diploma or
● Strong written and communication skills and the ability to speak
clearly and distinctly.
● Ability to exercise sound judgment and work independently
● Ability to handle all types of emergencies and situations in a
calm, efficient and mature manner
● Ability to maintain confidentiality of sensitive
● Ability and willingness to learn and accurately follow all
policies of the University and procedures of the department.
● Experience operating computers
● Proficient and accurate typing and data entry skills
● Ability to work all shifts to support the 24/7 operation.
● Ability to obtain Association of Public-Safety Communications
Officials (APCO) and Emergency Medical Dispatcher (EMD)
● Previous law enforcement,
security, safety or dispatch training or related experience.
All Public Safety personnel must be able to pass a post offer
criminal background check, physical, drug screen, and driving
All Public Safety personnel will be subject to yearly random drug
Public Safety personnel must be available to work weekends and some
This position is classified as part of essential services. Public
Safety Personnel must be able to reach campus within 30 minutes of
driving time in the event of an emergency.
Public Safety personnel must work overtime when emergencies exist
or when special programs require it.
- Ability to remain seated for long periods of time
NOTE: THIS POSITION IS CLASSIFIED AS CATEGORY I FOR EXPOSURE TO
This is a casual, non-benefits eligible position, scheduled to work
15-20 hours per week (primarily second shift or third shift).
This role is not budgeted for visa sponsorship at this time, all
candidates must be authorized to work in the US at the time of
submission of the application.
This is a staff non-exempt position with a hiring rate of $17.50.
The offer rate will be based on a review of the candidate's
credentials compared to the qualifications of the position,
internal equity, and our overall compensation philosophy.
Eligible full- and part-time employees are compensated beyond base
salary through our total rewards package that includes (but is not
- flexible scheduling options determined by role;
- medical, prescription drug, vision, dental, life, and long-term
disability insurance options
- an outstanding 10% employer contribution to your retirement plan
(no contribution requirement for non-exempt positions)
- generous paid time off, including vacation and sick time, a
community service day, and 19 paid holidays (including two full
weeks off for Winter Break!)
- full-time and part-time members of the faculty and staff are
eligible for tuition remission for themselves. Additionally,
full-time members of the faculty and staff are eligible for tuition
remission for their spouse/spousal equivalent and are eligible for
various tuition programs for their children. Credit for full-time
benefits eligible employment at other institutions of higher
education will be applied to waiting periods.
- a comprehensive employee wellness program including program
- a myriad of other benefits, including parental leave, an employee
assistance program, fitness center membership, and the power of
your Bucknell ID card
To learn more about Bucknell's benefits, click
here! (*Eligibility criteria and waiting periods may
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion:
is committed to fostering an environment that embraces diversity,
equity and inclusion, and seeks candidates who will contribute to a
climate that supports the growth and development of a diverse
campus community. We endeavor to enhance our capacity to value and
capitalize on the cultural richness that diversity brings. We
encourage all individuals to apply and do not discriminate in
admissions, employment, educational programs and/or activities on
the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, age, religion,
disability, pregnancy, sex/gender, gender identity and/or
expression, sexual orientation, marital or family status, military
or veteran status, or genetic information.
To apply, visit https://careers.bucknell.edu/en-us/job/497358/communications-officer-casual-opportunity