Cleveland State University
Visiting Assistant Professor
The Department of Political Science at Cleveland State University invites applications for a full-time, one-year visiting assistant professor in constitutional law and public law for the 2023-24 academic year. The position will begin August 21, 2023. CSU is committed to academic excellence and diversity within the faculty, staff, and student body. CSU is striving to be a nationally recognized and student-focused public research institution that provides accessible, affordable, and Engaged Learning opportunities for all.
The teaching responsibility for this position will be 6-7 classes for the academic year, dependent on the academic and operational needs of the Political Science program and the successful candidate’s ability to help mentor and advise students on careers in law and pre-law degree tracks (including a new accelerated 3+3 PSC/LAW program). Primary teaching duties include undergraduate courses in American Politics covering constitutional law, civil rights, civil liberties, and judicial politics. The ideal candidate will possess the ability to teach introductory and upper-level undergraduate courses on the American legal system, constitutional law, civil rights, civil liberties, judicial politics, and other courses in the candidate’s area of specialization.
- ABD in Political Science with a specialization in the field of public law.
- Ph.D. in Political Science by July 1, 2023, with a specialization in American Politics covering constitutional law, civil rights, civil liberties, judicial politics and process;
- Ability to contribute through teaching, research, and/or service to the diversity, cultural sensitivity and excellence of the academic community;
- Experience with remote teaching at the college level is preferred;
- Candidates with an interest or experience in teaching courses on Political Theory are also encouraged to apply.
Applications will only be accepted online at (https://hrjobs.csuohio.edu/postings/19439). Mailed or emailed application materials will not be accepted. Preference will be given to applications received by May 15, 2023. All inquiries about the position should be directed to the Search Committee Chair, (Dr. David Elkins, email@example.com).
List of documents applicant is required to submit:
- (1) Letter of application describing research agenda and teaching interest;
- (2) curriculum vitae;
- (3) one writing sample no more than 30 pages;
- (4) teaching evaluations if available;
- (5) unofficial transcripts;
- (6) a diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) statement; and
- (7) three letters of recommendation - your references will be contacted to upload a letter of recommendation on your behalf.
Cleveland State University is an urban campus serving a racially, culturally, and economically diverse student body. Diversity is extremely important to CSU. Explainyour experience serving diverse students and how you will make a positive contribution to CSU’s inclusive community. For applicants who have not yet had theopportunity for such experience, note how your work will contribute to CSU’s commitment to diversity and mission as an urban serving university.
CSU is an urban university with more than 15,000 students located in the heart of Cleveland, OH. According to the Brookings Institution, CSU is No. 18 in the U.S. among public universities that fulfill a critical dual mission: providing upward mobility and conducting impactful research. CSU is the only Ohio university in the top tier of the Brookings list. For additional information about the city of Cleveland, see https://www.thisiscleveland.com/
Hire is contingent upon the maintenance of existing levels of funding from the State of Ohio. Offer of employment is contingent on satisfactory completion of the University’s verification of credentials (including evidence of a Ph.D.) and other information required by law and/or University policies or practices, including but not limited to a criminal background check.
It is the policy of Cleveland State University to provide equal opportunity to all qualified applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran, or genetic information.