Provides innovative operational leadership for Muskegon Community
College’s Lakeshore Fab Lab. Manages: the use of the space,
maintenance, operating systems and processes, equipment usage and
repair, software, and supplies. Responsible for hiring, training,
and managing of facility staff including part time staff, community
volunteers, and student workers. Directs and creates content for
digital media to promote the Fab Lab. Works with MCC faculty across
all disciplines, staff, students, community, and volunteers to
develop and implement Fab Lab related programs. Supports
entrepreneurs as they design new products and services. Increases
membership and facility utilization by building internal and
external relationships with all stakeholders. Establishes protocols
for the safe and effective use of the Lab, records data, and
creates financial and performance metrics as required.
Muskegon Community College
Named the 19th Best Community College in the U.S. in 2021, Muskegon
offers accredited academic programs leading to 54 associate degrees
and 32 certificates. As an Achieving the Dream Leader College,
MCC’s nationally recognized commitment to student success unites
its faculty and staff in their mission to prepare students, build
communities and improve lives.
One of Michigan’s most picturesque community colleges, the Muskegon
main campus building - an award-winning Alden Dow design - spans
Four Mile Creek on a 15-acre sylvan setting. The campus boasts
several new multimillion-dollar facilities - the Health and
Wellness Center, the Science Center and the Art and Music Building
- and includes University Park Golf Course and the Carr-Fles
Planetarium. The Sturrus Technology Center in historic downtown
Muskegon is home to state-of-the-art applied technology offerings,
the Rooks|Sarnicola Entrepreneur Center and the Lakeshore Fab Lab.
MCC offers classes in adjacent Ottawa and Newaygo Counties.
Living in Muskegon County
Muskegon County residents
enjoy 26 miles of sugar-sand beaches along Lake Michigan’s
shoreline, as well as one of America’s only luge tracks at the
Winter Sports Complex and the regionally popular Michigan’s
Adventure Amusement & Water Park. An outdoor recreation hub
with three state parks and swimming, fishing and boating on its
many lakes and rivers, the Muskegon area offers dynamic downtown
and beachfront restaurant and entertainment venues. The Muskegon
Farmer’s Market is the second largest in Michigan. Cruise ships
dock in Muskegon, while a high-speed ferry connects the city to
Milwaukee. Notable local museums range from rare art collections to
an actual World War II submarine and a U.S. Navy ship used during
First Review May 8, 2023
BUDGETED SALARY RANGE:
$50,000-$70,000 Depending on
Qualifications: Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in related field or equivalent five years
industrial production experience required.
- Demonstrated ability to program and operate CNC fabrication
equipment using common software packages preferably in a prototype,
manufacturing, or promotional item facility.
- Ability to achieve certifications on software/hardware used in
the Fab Lab.
- Teaching experience at the K-12 or college level preferred
(current certification not required).
- Demonstrated ability to create relationships and handle
correspondence in a sales, membership or industrial
- Demonstrated ability to relate to people of all ages, races,
and social-economic backgrounds.
- Demonstrated ability to operate office technology, software,
& equipment. Establishing yourself as the “go to” person with
all equipment and software.
- Ability and willingness to upgrade skills including technology,
software, or process changes.
- Ability to manage, coach, and work with student workers and
- Ability to work on weekends if programs require.
- Demonstrated ability to create a warm, welcoming environment to
students, volunteers, faculty/staff and community members
especially during busy/chaotic times.
- Demonstrated use of tact, judgment and discretion and the
ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Demonstrated ability to work as part of a successful team while
accomplishing tasks and assignments without assistance, even while
- Highly motivated and solution oriented with a high degree of
integrity, ethics and dedication to the mission of the
- Demonstrated excellence in both oral and written communication
- Requires prolonged standing, keyboarding, work on a variety of
CNC equipment and work on computer (hand/eye strain), speaking in
English via phone or in person.
- Manage the daily operations of the Fab Lab.
- Manage the Fab Lab point of sale system and input all invoices
and handle billing and payment of all Fab Lab transactions.
- Maintain a safe, clean and well-organized environment including
maintaining equipment and inventory.
- Assure safety compliance standards are met.
- Lead, schedule and coordinate volunteers and student
- Understand and operate each machine and all software used in
the Fab Lab.
- Provide technical support for hardware and software.
- Assist users with the use of machines and software, addressing
technical questions or needs, and trouble- shooting problems.
- Develop and provide training and learning programs to
- Run and write reports for tracking and evaluating the Fab Lab
services, including revenue and use.
- Increase awareness of the MCC Fab Lab in the community.
- Meet/contact prospective members for the Fab Lab to grow
membership and increase utilization.
- Develop and manage annual departmental budget in conjunction
- Maintain information on the portal, website and/or social media
- Serve on college and external committees as necessary.
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
Physical, Mental, and Environment Requirements
☒ Detailed Work
☒ Student Contact
☒ Deadline oriented
☒ Problem Situations
☒ Multiple Priorities & Demands
☒ Emergency Situations
☒ On-call Availability
☒ Continual Interruptions
☐ Working Alone
☒ Faculty Contact
☒ Working with Others
☒ Standing & Walking
☐ Lifting up to 10 lbs. ☐ Up to 25 lbs. ☒ Up to 50 lbs. ☐ 80 +
☒ Pushing, Pulling, Twisting, Bending
☒ Climb or Balance
☒ Stoop, Kneel, Crouch, or Crawl
☒ Handle or Feel
☒ Reach with Hands and Arms
☒ Talking or hearing
☒ Working Overhead
☒ Speak in English via Phone or In Person
☐ Close, Distance, Peripheral, and Color Vision along with Depth
☒ Ability to Adjust and Focus
☒ Exposure to fumes or airborne particles and moderate to loud
☒ Normal Office environment with little, if, any, discomfort due to
heat, dust, noise and the like. Ability to travel to all campus
Muskegon Community College continues to promote staff
diversity, and is an equal opportunity employer. MCC does not
discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national
origin, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity,
transgender status, political persuasion, disability, height,
weight, veteran status, age or any other protected class in any of
its educational programs, activities or employment. Minorities,
women, veterans, and the physically challenged are encouraged to
apply. Anyone with a disability will be reasonably accommodated by
the College. If you have a disability and need an accommodation or
assistance in applying for this position, please contact the Human
Michigan, United States