Commensurate with Experience
Hours per Week
College of Engineering – Civil Engineering
Required Application Materials
A single PDF or Word document containing 1) curriculum vitae, 2) a statement of teaching philosophy, 3) a summary statement of research accomplishments and 4) the names and contact information of at least three (3) references is required to apply.
When prompted to upload your “resume”, upload your combined documents as one file.
- Please do not upload documents to “Cover Letter” or “References”.
If the required application materials were not uploaded at the “resume” prompt, please withdraw your application, and re-apply to upload your combined documents as one file.
The Department of Mechanical Engineering at The University of Texas at Tyler invites applications for a non-tenure track faculty position at the lecturer or Assistant / Associate / Full Professor of Instruction level to start in September 2023, in the Houston Engineering Center (HEC). Rank will be commensurate with experience and credentials. Successful candidates should demonstrate excellent communication skills, and commitment to excellence in teaching using a variety of methods and delivery modes. Candidates should demonstrate a strong commitment to engineering education in a student-centered environment while working on projects for, and connecting with, industrial and external partners.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Teach undergraduate and, if appropriate, graduate courses and labs within the Mechanical Engineering program and related areas using a variety of methods and delivery modes.
- Introduce and supervise projects and lab experiments within courses and labs, as well as in connection with industrial and external partners in a student-centered environment.
- Develop and conduct experiential education settings, and introduce innovative education methods, particularly in labs and hands-on projects.
- Collaborate with colleagues inside and outside the department to advance the body of engineering education knowledge and practice.
- Lecturer - An earned Master’s in mechanical engineering or equivalent.
- Assistant/Associate/Full Professor of Instruction - An earned terminal degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent.
- Demonstrated ability to design and conduct experiential education settings, particularly in labs and hands-on projects.
- Other credentials such as professional licensure or industrial experience would be considered as supporting credentials.
About The University of Texas at Tyler
The University of Texas at Tyler is part of the prestigious University of Texas System that includes 13 institutions located throughout the state. Founded in 1971, UT Tyler today enrolls 10,000 students and consists of six colleges.
Our beautiful Tyler campus features more than 200 acres nestled along a lake and surrounded by thick pine and oak forests, providing a picturesque location for study and recreation. We also offer instructional sites at The University of Texas Health Science Center at Tyler and in Palestine, Longview, and Houston.
With more than 80 bachelor's, master's and doctoral degree programs offered, UT Tyler provides a wealth of learning opportunities and dynamic programs.
For more information, please visit https://www.uttyler.edu/about/.
The retirement plan for this position is Teacher Retirement System of Texas (TRS), subject to the position being at least 20 hours per week and at least 135 days in length. This position has the option to elect the Optional Retirement Program (ORP) instead of TRS, subject to the position being 40 hours per week and at least 135 days in length.
This position is security-sensitive and subject to Texas Education Code Section 51.215, which authorizes the employer to obtain criminal history record information. Applicants selected must be able to show proof of eligibility to work in the United States by time of hire.
The University of Texas at Tyler is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with a disability. Women, minorities, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.