Reporting directly to the President, the Vice President for Enrollment Management will provide strategic leadership and effective management of the enrollment team. The VPEM will oversee the next phase of growth at MMA, which seeks to strengthen its market share of students seeking top-level maritime careers. The Academy seeks an individual with a proven record of enrollment growth, expertise in leading-edge recruitment, understanding of financial aid leveraging, technology and enrollment marketing strategies, and an appreciation of the value of a premier engineering, science, and maritime management education. The successful candidate should have a collaborative leadership style and be ready to serve on a small, tightly knit leadership team.
The successful candidate will have a broad understanding of the competitive challenges, technological opportunities, and cutting-edge enrollment management practices in the changing higher education landscape. The Academy is looking for an individual who will lead with creativity, integrity, inclusiveness, sound judgment, wisdom, passion, and energy. He or she should be a leader who can motivate and manage staff and the MMA community in the pursuit of student-centered enrollment success.
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree preferred.
- Three to five years of progressively responsible leadership, experience working in Strategic Enrollment Management, a demonstrated commitment to excellence, and a desire to fulfill the mission of the Academy. Service academy experience is helpful but not necessary.
- A breadth of experience in multiple data-based student and enrollment service areas and a strong understanding of the use of technologies, techniques and strategies including CRM, performance marketing, search optimization, lead acquisition, and social media. Familiarity with Slate and PowerFAIDS.
- Ability to provide strong leadership while engendering trust and offering transparency.
- Ability to engage staff in building on past successes while fostering change.
- Knowledge of national and international trends and developments in recruitment, admissions,retention, financial aid, and a commitment to outcomes, assessment, modeling and strategic planning.
- Outstanding oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills, and an ability to listen well and collaborate with colleagues.
- Experience and success at leading change.
- Skills in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with students, staff, faculty, and alumni, the public.
- Commitment to an organizational culture marked by trust, integrity, ethics, professionalism, inclusiveness, and respect for others.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Willingness to submit to a background check.
- Ensure the delivery of quality, student-oriented financial aid and enrollment services by developing and implementing effective and integrated policies, practices, and systems.
- Facilitate strong, collaborative relationships with leadership across the campus, working collegially with administration colleagues, the Board of Trustees, faculty, and others to develop and implement short- and longterm enrollment plans.
- Recommend and implement techniques and strategies to improve department policies, practices, and communications that increase efficiency and student access to services.
- Further the development and implementation of MMA’s comprehensive strategic enrollment processes including market research and segmentation, promotional strategies, recruitment tactics, admission practices, and advising to meet enrollment goals.
- Monitor academic quality in the incoming classes with an eye toward growing enrollments in specific programs and departments, encouraging in-state students, and increasing diversity.
- Establish strategic direction, priorities and goals for the overall strategic enrollment management organization, making data-informed proposals and decisions and linking budgets and expenditures to measurable outcomes.
- Develop and effectively administer departmental budgets, including budget forecasting, planning, and monitoring of expenditures.
- Engage the campus community in discussing enrollment management vision and strategy, fostering a culture of openness, inclusion, and precision.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of policies/practices, management systems, programs and services through quality improvement benchmarks.
- Evaluate staff assignments and recruiting effectiveness.
- Utilize technology and innovation to enhance enrollment and admissions/recruitment processes.
- Utilize business intelligence and analytics results and modeling to detect positive/negative performance trends and develop action plans to increase/correct those trends.
- Perform other duties as assigned.