ABOUT GRINNELL COLLEGE
Grinnell College is a private liberal arts college located in Grinnell, Iowa and is ranked #13 on the U.S. News and World Report’s list of Best National Liberal Arts Colleges.
Grinnell College is a top ranked Liberal Arts institution that values diversity, equity, inclusion, social justice, intellectual freedom, and social responsibility. We seek candidates that align with these values and have the ability and desire to advance our values and belonging within our community and the communities we engage. Ideal candidates will be prepared to collaborate and contribute to the mission and values of the college across all constituencies.
The Assistant Controller performs and assists with various accounting duties as a member of the accounting department including account reconciliation, financial reporting, tax reporting, and other higher education compliance work. The Assistant Controller is responsible for and supervises the accounts payable staff.
The Assistant Controller assists the Controller in directing the organization’s accounting functions and will be involved with special projects as needed.
- Oversees the accounts payable team and directs the processing of invoices and payments including purchasing card activity.
- Perform and assist with various accounting duties including account reconciliation, financial, tax, and compliance reporting.
- Special project work and assistance on projects with Controller and other staff
- Other work as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree from four-year college or university, accounting, business, or finance degree; accounting experience can replace the required degree
- Five years or more of work experience
- Excellent math, verbal, and time-management skills
- Ability to prioritize, multi-task, meet deadlines, and work confidentially in a team environment
- Strong attention to detail
- Proficient computer skills including the use of Microsoft products, accounting software and database activity
- Thorough knowledge of accounting principles
- Supervisory experience
- Able to work independently and practice good judgment and also work as a member of a team
- Interpersonal communication skills, work collaboratively with others, deal with conflicting points of view, and the ability to build rapport with internal and external contacts
- Organizational, planning, problem-solving and analytical skills
- Committed to Grinnell College values of diversity and inclusion
- Dedicated to providing excellent customer service and be an active and visible member of the campus community
- Accounting experience in higher education appreciated