Payroll Specialist I
Lasell University, located in Newton, MA, invites applications for
the position of Payroll Specialist.
The Payroll Specialist is responsible for ensuring the complete,
compliant, accurate and timely execution of pay cycles, collection
of time and attendance data, preparation and issuance of tax
filings and W-2's, and reconciliation of payroll-related data in
the University's general ledger. The Payroll Specialist also
provides administrative and financial reporting support to the CFO
and Finance Department.
This is a salaried, full-time position, working 35 hours per week.
The salary range for this position is $60K-70K per year.
Lasell University is a private, coeducational institution offering
undergraduate and graduate programs of study. Founded in 1851,
Lasell is one of the oldest Universities in greater Boston. The
University's educational philosophy of “Connected Learning,”
integrates the liberal arts and professional programs offering
Lasell students both on- and off-campus hands-on learning
Lasell University is situated approximately 15 minutes from
downtown Boston and 2 minutes from routes 95/128 and the MA
Remote Work Tier:
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Reporting to the Assistant Controller, the Payroll Specialist must
be a self-starter, and will be responsible for the following
functions which include, but are not limited to:
MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
- Ownership and responsibility for all activities required to
plan, organize and administer payroll activities to ensure
accuracy, timeliness and compliance with all regulations.
- Coordinates payment of garnishments and union dues.
- Collaborates with the Controller to establish policies,
procedures, and operations consistent with current laws and
university policies, while maintaining a system of internal
controls to ensure the proper disbursement and recording of the
- Leads the investigation and resolution of complex problems
requiring in-depth knowledge of payroll processing, University
policies, and payroll related regulations.
- Maintains current knowledge of payroll laws, procedures,
calculations, union contracts, adjustments
- Provides day to day management and administration of all
components of payment/settlement processing to ensure completeness,
accuracy and timeliness of payroll payments in accordance with
University policy and IRS regulations.
Prepare and process all payroll related journal entries and related
account reconciliations including the quarterly 941
- Lead collaboration with Finance and Human Resources to
reconcile General Ledger payroll and benefits accounts, must have a
good understanding of double entry accounting.
- Ensures compliance with federal, state, and local payroll,
wage, and hourly laws
- Maintains training and up-to-date knowledge of payroll
processing and reporting system
- The Payroll Specialist frequently interacts with members of the
Lasell University community to answer payroll related questions,
and as such should possess excellent communication and customer
- Provides administrative and financial reporting support to the
CFO as needed
- Supports the Finance Department and performs other duties as
Other Skills/Requirements of the Job
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting, Finance, Business or a related
- Excellent knowledge of Federal and State compliance
requirements with regards to payroll.
- Minimum of 5 years' increasingly progressive experience in a
financial area, including payroll.
- Experience in higher education or not-for-profit organizations
is preferred; knowledge of 403(b) regulations is a plus.
- Experience with Paycom preferred.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office including Excel, Word, Outlook
and Powerpoint is required.
- Excellent organizational and analytical skills.
- Must have excellent communication skills, and be able to
effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
- Must be able to work independently and collaboratively with all
levels of the community, and successfully manage multiple projects
- Sensitivity to confidentiality is required.
- Competitive salary
- Comprehensive benefits package including:
- Tuition benefits
- Generous time off
- Hybrid/remote work options
Interested candidates should upload a letter of interest, resume
and the information of three (3) references using the forms below.
Review of resumes will begin immediately, and applications will be
accepted until the position is filled.
Lasell University requires all employees to be vaccinated and to
provide the documentation upon the start of employment. Lasell also
provides individuals the opportunity to request a medical or
Lasell University is committed to equal opportunity in every
aspect of hiring and employment. Lasell proactively reviews its
policies and practices to assure that decisions with respect to
every dimension of employment are made without regard to age, color
of skin, disability, gender expression and identity, genetic
predisposition, marital status, national origin, race, ethnicity,
religion, sex, sexual orientation, veteran's status, status as a
victim of domestic violence, and all other protected groups and
classes under Federal and State Laws and executive
To apply, visit https://www.lasell.edu/discover-lasell/employment/staff-positions/payroll-specialist-i.html