The screening committee will review all eligible applications
submitted by April 12, 2023
Position Summary: The Program Navigator & Advisor at the
Washburn University Institute of Technology (Washburn Tech)
provides academic guidance and assistance for students by planning
schedules, recommending programs and determining appropriate
education solutions for post-secondary and high school
• Provide information in person and via phone or email about
Washburn Tech's application and enrollment process to help students
enroll successfully at the institution.
• Meet with students as needed to discuss academic progress and
recommend alternatives and resources available to assist with
issues that impede their academic progress. Connect students with
key campus partners/resources and provide academic advising.
• Discuss associate degree options available at Washburn Tech and
Washburn University to help potential students identify career
options and develop academic plans to support their goals. Refer to
appropriate staff as needed.
• Evaluate grades and attendance to assess student progress toward
graduation, and satisfactory academic standing related to probation
• Collaborate with instructors to manage students who exhibit
disruptive behavior, perform poorly in class or require special
• Serve as a liaison with school districts who send students to
Washburn Tech. Communicate with school districts via high school
counselors and principals. Establish and maintain class rosters to
provide accurate data on students to the participating school
• Develop processes and programs to address specific student needs
and for events such as enrollment, progression, and
• Collaborate with other Washburn University and Washburn Tech
staff to plan and coordinate on campus planning of events, such as
Letter of Intent, New Student Orientations, Car Show, a resource
fair, graduation send-off and grad fair.
• Collaborate with other Washburn Tech staff to plan, organize,
recruit for, and run the campus-wide Washburn Tech Career
• Refer students seeking employment to appropriate placement
centers. Develop and maintain referral relationships with Kansas
Workforce Centers and encourage students to register and pursue
employment openings and financial assistance opportunities with
• Work closely with appropriate staff to proactively intervene and
assist students experiencing personal or behavioral problems. Work
as part of a coordinated care team to assist students.
• Collaborate with other Washburn Tech staff and faculty to plan
and coordinate the annual commencement ceremony.
• Present information at Student Orientation sessions, and arrange
for speakers to highlight services and resources available to
• Coordinate with other staff to collect and manage attendance
information through the appropriate software application. Provide
training on software use to instructors as needed.
Serve on committees and boards voluntarily or as assigned.
• Provide information to new instructors to familiarize them with
advising and enrollment processes, attendance reporting and
• Attend professional workshops and conferences to update knowledge
and techniques relative to advising, recruitment, enrollment and
retention of students.
• Perform additional job-related duties as assigned or as
Bachelor’s degree. Experience working with a diverse population of
individuals who possess a broad range of academic skills and
Knowledge of academic advisement practices as well as formal or
informal understanding of student development. Ability to work in a
fast-paced, collaborative environment. Proficient in Microsoft
Office. Effective written and verbal communication skills. Ability
to work well with faculty, staff, students and co-workers; and to
work effectively in a team environment.
Valid driver’s license with acceptable driving record under
Master’s degree in student affairs, counseling or education.
Experience working with both secondary and post-secondary students.
Experience in student advisement or counseling. Experience in case
management. Experience in the direct delivery of client services.
Bilingual in Spanish. Experience maintaining confidentiality.
Full time Exempt Mon-Fri 7:30am - 4:30pm
Background Check Required
Driving History Required