Pay Rate: $22/hr, plus shift differential for weekends and
nights Position Purpose
Responsible for preparation of residential meals, ensuring
consistent and timely production, quality, quantity and
presentation of hot and cold foods. Dining Services’ focus is on
nourishing the Academy’s community of students, faculty and
families, staff and guests through culinary excellence with
emphases on the community’s physical and social well-being.
Must embody the mission of the Dining Services Department: “A Team
of Professionals dedicated to providing quality food service with a
This position is considered “Essential Personnel”
- an emergency occurs on the PEA Campus or in the vicinity that
would impact PEA;
- inclement weather forces the closing of campus or;
- other emergency events deemed appropriate.
Essential Personnel are required to report to or remain at work if
instructed to do so if contacted directly by the supervisor (or
his/her designee), the Principal or a member of the Principal’s
Staff (Leadership Team).
- Produces complete residential and catered meals on a timely
basis utilizing event function sheets, recipes and menu
- High volume food preparation and cooking, strictly adhering to
recipes and cycle menus.
- Confirms that all foods produced and served are of the highest
- Ensures that allergy control systems are being followed in
accordance with departmental standard operating procedures.
- Properly utilizes unused food products and adheres to pre/post
production standards to minimize food waste.
- Ensures quality, appearance and correct number of portions of
daily menu items.
- Ensure proper portion control and note food portions used
during meals on service records.
- Collaborates with other cooks to maintain proper inventory
levels of menu items.
- Maintains a high level of customer service.
- Promotes a positive and congenial atmosphere for students,
employees, and other customers.
- Contributes to a positive working environment with managers and
- Obeys all local, state, and federal safety health codes.
- Follows the top eight food allergens and ensures that these
ingredients are clearly labeled with an allergy warning.
- Ensures proper sanitation of work areas, kitchen equipment and
all kitchen surfaces and observe all MSDS policies/procedures for
safety and sanitation.
- Observes all safety and departmental policies/procedures
regarding proper handling and labeling of food and equipment while
preparing, serving, and storing food.
- Ensures that the facility and equipment are properly maintained
in accordance with local, state, and federal health codes.
- High school diploma or GED required.
- Culinary Arts degree preferred.
- ServSafe certification is required. Must be able to obtain
certificate within 60 days of hire (attend required class and pass
Skills & Knowledge
- Minimum 1 year demonstrated experience as an assistant cook in
a similar sized operation.
- Experience in an academic institution preferred.
- Experience working with adolescents in an educational setting
- Experience in large volume production and knowledge of quantity
food preparation methods and terminology.
- Ability to discuss food ingredients, including allergens, and
preparation methods with management.
- Ability to work safely with knives and kitchen equipment.
- Must demonstrate knowledge of high standards of kitchen
- Ability to perform basic math computations and follow
- Ability to correctly identify product.
- Must possess knowledge and commit to health and safety
procedures with food handling and preparation.
- Practices excellent personal hygiene habits.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including extended hours,
weekends, and holidays.
- Ability to function in a fast-paced environment and under short
- Must possess excellent guest service and hospitality
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to develop and
maintain collegial relationships.
- Excellent communication (written and verbal) skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work with students by building trust
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills as well as a
strong customer focus.
- A strict adherence to confidential policies is required.
- Ability to work independently and handle multiple priorities
and deadlines simultaneously.
- Willingness and ability to learn additional applications as
- High degree of organizational skills with the ability to be
flexible and multi-task with accuracy.
- Ability to follow verbal and written directions, maintain a
professional demeanor and restraint at all times, including
The physical demands described here are representative of those
that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the
essential functions of this job.
- Physical demands are in excess of those for sedentary work and
will require the ability to remain standing for extended periods of
time, go up and down flights of steps, lift and push heavy objects
as well as stoop, squat, bend, kneel, crouch, and lift.
- Ability and dexterity to grasp, grip and safely operate
commercial kitchen equipment.
- Ability to lift and transport up to 50lbs without
- Reaching by extending hand(s) or arm(s) in any direction.
- Ability to work under a range of temperature conditions such as
withstanding exposure to extreme heat in the kitchen or extreme
cold from freezers.
- Successfully complete a criminal background check (reviewed
every 5 years).