Research Program Manager
Materials Research Laboratory
The Grainger College of Engineering
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
The Materials Research Laboratory (MRL) at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign is seeking a Research Program Manager for the Illinois Quantum Information Science and Technology Center (IQUIST). This position works collaboratively with faculty, staff, and students at IQUIST and external collaborators to develop and implement a variety of programmatic initiatives designed to enable the success of federally funded quantum information science research programs, such as the DOE Energy Frontier Research Center for Quantum Sensing and Quantum Materials and the NSF Quantum Leap Challenge Institute Hybrid Quantum Architectures and Networking.
IQUIST seeks to accelerate quantum information science (QIS) research on the Urbana campus through collaborations across physics, electrical and computer engineering, computer science, math, and other engineering disciplines; and to build new educational programs to better equip a future QIS-smart workforce. Learn more about IQUIST by visiting https://iquist.illinois.edu/.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Research Program Management
- Work directly with the leadership of federally funded programs and IQUIST to develop and monitor program initiatives, design events, develop and organize budgets, and oversee coordination of travel.
- Participate in establishing goals, maintaining timelines, and ensuring that resources are directed appropriately toward achieving objectives.
- Maintain in-depth knowledge of grant guidelines to coordinate the comprehensive and compliant execution of assigned projects in accordance with research governing entity requirements.
- Help develop, coordinate, and maintain a filing system for each grant, along with federal guidelines, correspondence, progress reports, publications, etc.
- Facilitate and oversee planning and scheduling of internal/external meetings, including managing logistics and preparing agendas.
- Work with IQUIST staff to ensure accurate and up-to-date records of documents and reports of meetings, conference calls, etc.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
Technical Writing and Program Development
- Prepare and coordinate communication products, publications, reports to internal and external stakeholders, collaborators, and partners.
- Develop and edit presentations on behalf of collaboration leads and IQUIST leadership.
- Prepare and track progress reports and reviews in accordance with funding and reporting requirements.
- Assist in the preparation of grant proposals and identify new program opportunities.
Research Program Partnerships and External Stakeholder Relations
- Serve as a liaison with funding sponsor(s), industrial advisory board members, research faculty, students, and staff.
- Provide coordination for multi-institutional collaboration, including working with staff at partner institutions to achieve the goals of program.
- Support and develop industry collaborations and strategic partnerships, including those that align with the IQUIST mission.
- Help promote and cultivate an engaged and collaborative consortium team culture for multi-institutional research programs.
- Master's Degree in Engineering, Physical Science, Mathematics, or a field related to the position.
- Demonstrated experience working with federally funded scientific and/or engineering programs (such as physics, chemistry, math, computer science, and/or materials science).
- PhD in Engineering, Physical Science, Mathematics, or a field related to the position.
- 3-5 years of experience working in a technical field, with at least 2 years with research administration/project management responsibilities.
- Track record of establishing cooperative relationships with internal and external colleagues and collaborators, from academia, government, and industry.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Proficient in Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint and collaboration platforms such as Microsoft Teams, Google Drive and Slack.
- Excellent writing, editing, and proofreading skills.
- Excellent oral communication skills.
- Ability to organize meetings, schedules, and events.
- Ability to follow multiple detailed directions of various protocols and meet deadlines.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Strong organizational, planning, problem solving and project management skills.
- Ability to work independently and creatively.
This is a full-time Civil Service 5002 Program Coordinator position appointed on a 12-month service basis. The expected start date is as soon as possible after the closing date. Starting salary is $65,000, commensurate with experience and qualifications.
APPLICATION PROCEDURES AND DEADLINE INFORMATION
Applications must be received by April 28, 2023. Apply for this position using the Apply Now button at the top or bottom of this posting. Please submit your cover letter, resume/CV, and the names and contact information for three references. To be considered as a transfer candidate, you must apply for this position. Applications not submitted through https://jobs.illinois.edu will not be considered. For further information about this specific position, please contact Summer Redman at firstname.lastname@example.org. For questions regarding the application process, please contact 217-333-2137.
The University of Illinois System is an equal opportunity employer, including but not limited to disability and/or veteran status, and complies with all applicable state and federal employment mandates. Please visit Required Employment Notices and Posters to view our non-discrimination statement and find additional information about required background checks, sexual harassment/misconduct disclosures, COVID-19 vaccination requirement, and employment eligibility review through E-Verify.
Applicants with disabilities are encouraged to apply and may request a reasonable accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act (2008) to complete the application and/or interview process. Requests may be submitted through the reasonable accommodations portal, or by contacting the Accessibility & Accommodations Division of the Office for Access and Equity at 217-333-0885, or by emailing email@example.com.
Requisition ID: 1016145
Job Category: Administrative
Apply at: https://jobs.illinois.edu