Systems Administrator, Intermediate
Location: Education Technology Consortm
Job ID: 606658
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
NAU aims to be the nation's preeminent engine of opportunity, vehicle of economic mobility, and driver of social impact by delivering equitable postsecondary value in Arizona and beyond.
- This position is open to Remote, In-Person, and Hybrid work modalities
- HYBRID: This position allows the incumbent to complete their work at both an NAU site, campus, or facility and at a non-centralized site with or without accommodation.
- IN PERSON:This position requires the incumbent to complete their work primarily at an NAU site, campus, or facility with or without accommodation. Opportunities for remote work are rare.
- REMOTE :This position allows the incumbent to complete their work at a location other than an NAU site, campus, or facility with or without accommodation. The incumbent may occasionally work in a shared site, but primarily will work elsewhere.
Northern Arizona University's Education Technology Consortium (ETC) is now hiring one (1) System Administrator, Intermediate. The Education Technology Consortium provides software support and technical services to school districts and charter schools (K-12) within the state of Arizona. The System Administrator, Intermediate monitors and maintains operations and cohesiveness of information systems to provide end users with consistent service. The successful candidate will installs, maintain and upgrade computer systems hardware and software to meet increased demand as well as administer and maintain security of operating systems to protect user information, and restores files or systems by writing and implementing back-up procedures.
Job Functions and Duties
Hardware & Infrastructure - 30%
- Manage and support the ETC Application Hosting Environment.
- Install, configure, secure, and maintain ETC Application Services hardware and software including virtualization and SQL server backend.
- Acts as the principal designer for major systems and their subsystems utilizing a thorough understanding of available technology, tools and existing designs.
- Design, plan, and implement system upgrades for hardware and software as newer technologies become available.
- Monitor hardware for possible failure or vendor “end of life” status and make recommendations on replacement purchases or upgrades for planning and budgetary purposes.
- Monitor and manage data and application backups, prepare for disaster recovery and problem management.
- Configure and support Citrix Presentation Server. Provide technical analysis and troubleshooting of published applications in Citrix, including printing, speed, local resource redirection, etc.
- Manage licensure for SQL, Citrix, and Microsoft software utilized in Application Services. Manage SSL certificates and domain name registrations.
Technical Support - 30%
- Work cooperatively with vendor technical staff of hosted applications as well as site-based technical staff of hosting clients to apply software updates, apply bug fixes and software patches, and ensure performance is as expected. Capture and send database backups to vendors as requested by clients.
- Coordinate with ETC Financial and School Services staff to troubleshoot, diagnose, and resolve issues related to BusinessPlus, Synergy, and Visions software packages hosted by ETC.
- Perform custom programming as needed to develop services or interfaces to improve performance, monitoring, efficiency and support for all hosted or non-hosted applications.
User Support - 30%
- Provide Tier 1 & 2 support for network and server issues (e.g.) answers network-related or server-related questions; troubleshoots and debugs connections and services to peers, customers, vendors and internal network connections; anticipates, identifies, and defines problems; seeks root causes. Develops and implements practical and timely solutions.
- Provide user support for hosting related problems with applications and access. Integrate with local web services as needed.
Documentation - 5%
- Prepare and maintain documentation of procedures, hardware configuration, software configuration and versions, and custom application interfaces. Maintain source code with appropriate documentation.
Other - 5%
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- On-call duties may be required for this position.
- Associate's degree in computer science, or related field.
- 1-3 years of relevant experience.
- Any combination of relevant education and experience may be substituted for the educational requirement on a year-for-year basis.
- CCA/MFPS, CCEA, MCP, MCSE.
- Familiar with Cloud scaled datacenter network and architectures.
- Fluency in virtual environments.
- Proficient in software programs for databases, applications, tools, network.
- Scripting using PowerShell, VBscript, ASP.NET, Batch Scripting or other tools.
- Experience providing technical support to users and expert troubleshooting skills.
- Strong focus on delivering high availability solutions for end users.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Production Support of SQL Server data warehouse.
- Working Knowledge of networking protocols such as TCP-IP, HTTP, UDP, and Firewall ACL's.
- Good communication, both written and verbal, and teaming skills.
- SQL Server Database and SQL Server Integration Services.
- Query Performance Tuning.
- Hyper V standalone administration.
- Basic understanding of Linux administration.
- Permissions and Security experience in the windows environment.
- Support testing and defect resolution.
- Willingness to learn and work with multiple inter-locking applications, tools and technologies.
- Excellent analytical and troubleshooting skills, responsiveness and creativity, flexibility, ability to plan and organize.
- Strong organizational, time management and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to provide quality service to meet customer expectations and maintain internal/external customer relations.
Driving a vehicle on behalf of the university is a regular part of this position. Arizona Administrative Code Fleet Safety Policy requires all employees who drive on university business to pass an online defensive driving course and submit their driver's license number for periodic records review. The law applies to all faculty, staff, and students who drive any university-owned motorized vehicles or personally-owned vehicles on University business. A driving record check and completion of required training must be completed before driving occurs on behalf of the university. More information on the NAU Authorized Driver Policy can be found on the NAU website.
COVID-19 Vaccine Requirement
As of 12/10/21, the Safer Federal Workforce employee vaccination requirement is currently suspended pending the outcome of a federal court-issued injunction. This injunction has suspended the recent executive order issued by President Biden requiring all employees of federal contractors to receive COVID-19 vaccinations. For current status of the vaccine requirement and/or questions, please visit FAQs for Employee Vaccination Requirement.
This position has been identified as a safety/security sensitive position. Therefore, per AZ Revised Statute, Northern Arizona University requires satisfactory results for the following: a criminal background investigation, employment history investigation, degree verification (in some cases) and fingerprinting. If you are applying for a job that requires a CDL, you will be required to register with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration Drug & Alcohol Clearinghouse and adhere to the clearinghouse requirements. Additionally, as an employer in the state of Arizona, NAU is required to participate in the federal E-Verify program that assists employers with verifying new employees' right to work in the United States. Finally, each year Northern Arizona University releases an Annual Security Report. The report is a result of a federal law known as the Clery Act. The report includes Clery reportable crime statistics for the three most recent completed calendar years and discloses procedures, practices and programs NAU uses to keep students and employees safe including how to report crimes or other emergencies occurring on campus. In addition, the Fire Safety Report is combined with the Annual Security Report for the NAU Flagstaff Mountain Campus as this campus has on-campus student housing. This report discloses fire safety policies and procedures related to on-campus student housing and statistics for fires that occurred in those facilities. If you would like a free paper copy of the report, please contact the NAUPD Records Department at (928) 523-8884 or by visiting the department at 525 E. Pine Knoll Drive in Flagstaff.
Anticipated salary range is $62,996 - $78,745. Annual salary commensurate with candidate's qualifications and related experience.
This position is exempt from the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and therefore will not earn overtime or compensatory time for additional time worked.
This is a Classified Staff (CLS) position. NAU offers an excellent benefit package including generous health, dental and vision insurance; participation in the Arizona State Retirement System; paid vacation and 10 holidays per year; and tuition reduction for employees and qualified dependents. More information on benefits at NAU is available on the Human Resources benefits website. Classified Staff employees are in a probationary status for their first six months at NAU. NAU is a tobacco and smoke-free campus. Employees offered a position will be eligible for state health plans (including NAU's BCBS Plan). New employees are eligible for benefits on the first day of the pay period following their enrollment, after their employment date. Employees will have 31 days from their start date to enroll in benefits. Additionally, new employees will begin participating in the Arizona State Retirement System, and the long-term disability coverage that accompanies it, on the first of the pay period following 6 months after the new employee's start date.
Learning and Development
Your career at Northern Arizona University includes the opportunity for professional development. New employee on-boarding training includes courses to be completed within the first 30 days.
NAU will not provide any U.S. immigration support or sponsorship for this position.
Open Until Further Notice
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please click on the "Apply" button on this page. You must submit your application by clicking on the "Submit" button by midnight of the application deadline. If you need assistance completing your application there are instructions available on the Human Resources website or in person in the Human Resources Department located in Building 91 on the NAU Campus - on the corner of Beaver and DuPont Streets.
If you are an individual with a disability and need reasonable accommodation to participate in the hiring process please contact the Office of Equity and Access at: 928-523-3312/TDD - 928-523-1006 or PO Box 4083, Flagstaff AZ 86011.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Northern Arizona University is a committed Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution. Women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. NAU is responsive to the needs of dual career couples.
EEO is the Law Poster and Supplements
NAU is an Employer of National Service. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other National Service alumni are encouraged to apply.
To apply, visit https://hr.peoplesoft.nau.edu/psp/ph92prta/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=1&JobOpeningId=606658&PostingSeq=1