TITLE: Media and Communications Assistant
DEPARTMENT: College of Agriculture
REPORTS TO: Associate Extension Administrator
EFFECTIVE DATE: Position will Remain Open until Filled
EMPLOYMENT STATUS: Full-Time
EMPLOYMENT CLASSIFICATION: Non-Exempt
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
PRINCIPAL PURPOSE OF JOB:
The Media and Communications Assistant will assist in the Kentucky State University Cooperative Extension Program (80% of their time) with efforts to communicate the work of employees in the Cooperative Extension Program in the Land Grant Program at Kentucky State University. This position will assist in developing success stories working with stakeholders through video production, photographs, graphic design, public relations, developing written stories, and more. The primary role of this position is to assist with script and story board creation, in addition to being host for a variety of extension video and photography projects. This position will also be responsible for setup, testing, operating, managing audio/visual equipment, systems, and production at Bradford Hall on the KSU Campus (20% of their time).
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Assists to promote the work of the Cooperative Extension Program at Kentucky State University, primarily through video and photograph production, graphic design, and public relations.
- Responsible for assisting with virtual and in-person event planning, coordination, and set up to support Extension and outreach opportunities.
- Provides support for communications ideas and goals throughout the year.
- Helps identify newsworthy happenings within the Land Grant Program and writes press releases.
- Assists with physical set up and staffing of virtual and on- and off-campus exhibits.
- Assists with exhibits at schools and events at local, statewide, and national/international levels.
- Assists with the creation of graphic materials for events.
- Assists the video production department with projects including writing scripts and helping with equipment.
- Be responsible for setup, testing, operating, managing audio/visual audio equipment, systems and production at Bradford Hall on the KSU Campus.
- Ensures appropriate care, maintenance and storage of audio/visual equipment and systems.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
A Bachelor’s Degree in Agriculture, Agriculture Communications, Communications, or related field.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, and ABILITIES:
- Ability to use a personal computer and a variety of related software applications.
- Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Ability to work cooperatively in a team environment.
- Ability to take initiative and be resourceful and punctual.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to adhere to deadlines.
- Positive customer-oriented attitude and professional image.
- Strong critical thinking and troubleshooting skills.
- Valid Kentucky driver’s license is required.
- Experience with graphic design is preferred.
- Experience with social media management is preferred.
- Experience with video production equipment is preferred.
- Experience in event planning and/or set up is preferred.
- Work is normally performed in either a typical interior/office work environment or in a farm-related setting.
- Must be able to work outdoors in a wide range of weather conditions, including heat or rain.
- Ability to lift 15lbs required.
- This position requires some night meetings, weekend work, and attendance at out-of-county meetings.
- A valid driver’s license and a personal vehicle for official duty travel are required. Mileage will be reimbursed at a rate established by the University.
KENTUCKY STATE UNIVERSITY is an Equal Opportunity Employer
The functions, qualifications, knowledge/skills, and physical requirements listed in this job description represent the essential duties of the job, which the incumbent must be able to perform either with or without reasonable accommodation. The Job Functions listed do not necessarily include all activities that the individual may perform. The College of Agriculture, Community, and the Sciences strives for inclusive excellence and is interested in qualified candidates who can contribute to this effort through their research, teaching, and/or Extension programs.