Northwood University is searching for a Dean of International
Affairs (DIA) to be pivotal in guiding and overseeing the
University's international endeavors. The DIA will be instrumental
in shaping and expanding our global initiatives, fostering a
culture of international awareness, and promoting cross-cultural
understanding among our students and faculty. This role involves
overseeing the development, implementation, and execution of four
Supervising and nurturing the growth of Northwood's
International Program Centers (IPCs).
Enhancing the enrollment of international students at
Northwood's flagship campus in Midland, Michigan.
Steering efforts to internationalize all university
Assisting academic departments in advancing educational
programs and industry partnerships related to relevant subjects and
The Dean of International Affairs will report directly to
Northwood's Academic Vice President and will collaborate closely
with various members of the University's executive team. This role
requires close association with faculty, staff, and students to
boost international enrollment and extend Northwood's global
partnerships, focusing on countries where Northwood has established
IPCs. The DIA will also work with Northwood's academic departments
to advocate for, support, and ensure academic excellence and
integrity within the international context, covering course
offerings, degree programs, faculty, students, and associated
support services. This position is campus-based in Midland,
Michigan with an expectation of regular international travel.
- Strategic Leadership: Develop and drive the strategic
vision for international programs, working collaboratively with
faculty, staff, and administrators to enhance global engagement
opportunities at Northwood University.
- Enrollment Management: Collaborate closely with
Northwood's Admissions Offices, including International Admissions
to increase the number of international students enrolled at the
- International Program Centers (IPCs): In addition to
managing existing IPCs, establish new IPCs with the goal of
operating 10 IPCs by 2026 and increasing IPC student enrollment by
100% by 2028.
- Program Development: Lead the development of innovative
and relevant international programs, including study abroad,
international internships, and exchange programs.
- Strategic Partnerships: Establish international
partnerships to advance Northwood's mission and The Northwood Idea
- Budget Management: Oversee budget planning and achieve
financial targets for international programs while ensuring
efficient and effective allocation of resources to attain program
- Compliance and Risk Management: Ensure compliance with
relevant regulations, policies, and procedures related to
international programs, including SEVIS compliance, health and
safety protocols, and travel advisories.
- An earned master's or doctoral degree (doctorate preferred) in
a relevant field, such as International Education, International
Relations, or a related discipline.
- A minimum of 7-10 years of progressively responsible experience
in leading a successful international area in an institution of
higher education, other non-profit, or related business
- Demonstrable experience in increasing international enrollment
within higher educational institutions.
- Strong knowledge of global trends, best practices, and emerging
issues in international education, cultural competency, and
- Experience in developing and managing international
partnerships and exchange programs.
- Excellent leadership abilities and a track record of
effectively managing and motivating teams.
- Proficiency in a second language is desired.
- Familiarity with budgeting and financial management
- The Northwood Idea Philosophy and Institutional Values:
Demonstrably support the Northwood Idea with a commitment to
advance the University's Mission, Vision, Values, Code of Ethics,
and Strategic Goals.
- Collaborative Leader: Effectively lead and support all
colleagues associated with the International Affairs Department and
collaborate with officers, administrators, faculty, staff,
students, and international partners to grow and develop the
institution's international partnerships and footprint.
- Accountability: Understand and execute relevant goals
and objectives of the University's Strategic Plan and Annual
Business Plan while achieving yearly financial targets.
- Collaboration: Commit to a management philosophy of
transparency, excellent communication, and relationship-building
efforts with relevant domestic and international
- Academic Operations: Serve as an educational and
instructional leader, supporting program quality, curricular growth
and innovation, effective pedagogy and teaching practices, faculty
effectiveness, and evaluation.
- Intellectual Freedom: Create and maintain a climate that
celebrates intellectual freedom, inquiry, reflection, and respect
for those who offer a diversity of thought.
- Governance: Ensure all relevant policies and procedures
are current and understood by all department employees.
Northwood University embraces an institutional philosophy that
emphasizes free enterprise within the context of limited government
and individual responsibility. The ideal candidate will share a
strong affinity for Northwood University's mission and core
At Northwood University, we recognize the profound impact of
international education in preparing our students for success in a
globalized world. If you are a forward-thinking, experienced, and
passionate leader with a strong commitment to international
education, we invite you to apply for the position of Dean of
International Affairs and join us in our mission to provide
students with a truly global education experience.
Applicants are encouraged to familiarize themselves with the
University's outcomes at www.northwood.edu/aboutus/
and be prepared to discuss
their philosophy regarding these outcomes.