- Rice University
- Texas, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Mar 30, 2023
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants are required to submit a resume, cover letter and two writing samples. Please save cover letter and resume as one PDF file and attach writings samples under second document section of the application materials.
The Public Affairs events specialist will manage the planning and execution of high-quality events, building relationships and goodwill with Rice neighbors, Houston stakeholders, government officials and multicultural communities. They will work with individual(s) who plan events to identify event objectives and brainstorm event concepts, then follow through on their budgeting, planning, execution and evaluation. The holder of this position will remain current on event trends and university priorities. They will evaluate, develop or update annual event plans in collaboration with others and help determine how departmental and university priorities are best achieved. This position will work with the Public Affairs team in planning events and programs, in particular within community relations.
Working conditions - Weekend and evening work may be required. Must be able to run errands off-campus and have daily access to vehicle.
The expected hiring salary is $45,370 to $57,000, contingent upon qualifications and experience.
- Bachelor's degree.
- Three years of experience, including administrative and events planning and execution.
- Strong project and event management skills with attention to details, time management, setting priorities, following through and meeting deadlines.
- Ability to meet deadlines and prioritize.
- Strong communication and customer service skills.
- Ability to accomplish goals working through formal and informal channels, with diplomacy and tactfulness.
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills.
- Demonstrated ability to manage databases, complete mail merges and basic design and layout for the production of guest lists, nametags, promotional fliers, invitations and programs.
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office suite, audio visual and technical support with Zoom meetings and webinars.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, both verbal and written communication, to interact with people from the community with diverse cultural backgrounds and high-level university leaders and guests.
- Ability to exercise mature, sound judgment and manage last minute changes and problems that might occur at an event.
- Creative, organized and goal oriented.
- Must possess (or have ability to obtain within 30 days of hire)
and maintain a valid Texas driver's license.
- Work experience in institution of higher education or other nonprofit organizations that includes event planning and execution.
- Bilingual fluency in English and Spanish.
- Experience with Drupal content management system.
- Experience with HTML.
- Serves as events project manager of multiple activities, scopes out project tasks / team assignments and guides team to create work plans and schedules, monitors progress and meets milestones.
- Establishes and maintains relationships with internal and external university partners and the community building goodwill.
- Acts as department representative at cross-departmental project meetings.
- Operates as account manager on deliverables, program metrics and status reports.
- Recommends and schedules events into appropriate off-campus and on-campus venues.
- May oversee support staff, students, volunteers and contingent event staff.
- Provides assistance with special projects to university and multicultural community relations as assigned.
Rice University HR | Benefits
Rice Mission and Values
Mission and Values | Rice University
Rice University is an Equal Opportunity Employer with commitment to diversity at all levels, and considers for employment qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, genetic information, disability or protected veteran status.
Faculty and staff are expected (but not required) to have completed a full vaccination series for COVID-19 (currently defined as full course COVID-19 Vaccine (typically two shots of a WHO-approved COVID-19 Vaccine or one J&J) and a COVID-19 booster. Rice does not require documentation for COVID 19 vaccination at this time for faculty and staff. More information can be found here: https://coronavirus.rice.edu/policies
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert