The new Occupational Therapy Doctoral (OTD) Program in the College
of Health Sciences at Utah Tech University in St. George, Utah,
seeks a doctoral-prepared occupational therapist to join an
innovative team of instructors within the University’s new
Occupational Therapy program, in compliance with ACOTE educational
standards. The successful candidate will develop and teach graduate
level occupational therapy courses, with priority selection given
to those applicants with expertise in mental health, children and
youth, adult or older adult practice experience. In addition, the
successful candidate will engage in student advisement and service
to the University. All OTD faculty develop an agenda relative to
research and/or scholarly activity for student capstone mentorship
and involvement. Faculty members exemplify the
teacher-practitioner-investigator model by following excellent
teaching practices, scholarly activity, and professional behaviors
consistent with the mission of Utah Tech University.
This is a 10.5-month faculty position, with a desired start date of
June/July 2023 (initial workload will be non-instructional in
course development until teaching can begin). More information
about the college, faculty, and degree offerings can be found
online at https://health.utahtech.edu/
- Serve as course director and maintain currency with health care
trends, research, and OT practice, especially as it relates to area
- Provide evaluations that are appropriate, equitable,
professional and provide constructive feedback to the student.
- Exhibit objectivity in all dealings with students and in all
aspects of the learning process.
- Continually adapt teaching strategies in the implementation of
the course to meet the needs of all students.
- Treat confidential information about students, colleagues and
others with fairness, discretion and integrity.
- Develop and maintain proficiency in teaching areas through
investigation, formal education, continuing education, and/or
- Participate in evaluation of teaching methods and curriculum,
and modify both in response to feedback.
- Serve as academic advisor for students in the OT program or
interested in the program.
- Serve as doctoral experience/capstone project mentor, as
- Supervise student graduate research projects.
- Contribute to the advancement of OT through research, practice,
- Pursue opportunities to publish/present occupational
- Assist with clinical instruction of students as
- Participate in the University governance and/or occupational
therapy department, College of Health Sciences, committees.
- Carry out assigned duties with punctuality and professional
competence. Except in cases of emergency, they shall not be absent
from their assigned teaching or other assignments without first
informing the Department Chair or the appropriate
- Maintain active membership in state and national professional
- Collaborate in and contribute to the preparation of academic
reports and accreditation self-studies.
- Prepare and implement a faculty development plan annually.
- Perform defined faculty duties, including holding office hours,
attendance at department and division meetings, and adherence to
college, division, and university policies and procedures.
- Provide regular institutional service as outlined in regent and
- Perform additional duties as assigned.
PREFERRED OR DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS:
- Certification by NBCOT as OTR.
- Possess a post-professional doctoral degree from a
USDE-recognized regionally accredited institution. The doctoral
degree is not limited to a doctorate in occupational therapy.
Candidates who are near completion (e.g., ABD) of a doctoral
program will be considered.
- Must be licensed or eligible for licensure as an occupational
therapist in the state of Utah.
- Minimum of two years of professional practice experience.
- Intermediate to advanced clinical skills in the primary area of
- Skilled in application of research and evidence-based practices
to new environments.
- Knowledge, skills and mindset as a creator and/or innovator
- Superior written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills
needed for working with diverse stakeholders.
- Proficient with computer technology and strong organization,
problem-solving, and counseling skills.
POSITION DETAILS, COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
- Experience in academic program or curricular development and
knowledge of ACOTE standards.
- Teaching experience at the college/university level.
- Experience with online teaching.
- Experience in scholarly activity.
(10.5-month) tenure-track faculty position. Faculty service, as
well as pay and benefits, begins June/July 2023. Annual salary
commensurate upon qualifications & experience; additional
compensation available for overload teaching. Excellent benefits
package included that begins on start date; includes medical,
dental, vision, employee assistance and wellness programs, life,
disability, retirement, and undergraduate tuition waivers for
employees and eligible. See https://humanresources.utahtech.edu/employee-benefits/
under 'Benefits Summary' for more details.
ELECTRONIC APPLICATION PROCEDURES:
Application review begins
May 1, 2023 ; position open until filled.
Candidates must submit a cover letter, curriculum vitae, contact
information for three professional references (including email
addresses), transcripts, and a Student Success Statement (1-2 pages
about their teaching or other experience, successes, and challenges
in working with a diverse student population). Please upload all
the requested documents when you submit your application.
Employment is contingent upon successful completion and
certification of required degrees and upon successfully passing a
background check. If, because of a disability, you need special
services or facilities to apply for this opening, please call the
Human Resources Office (435) 652-7520.
ABOUT THE UNIVERSITY:
Utah Tech University is an open,
inclusive, comprehensive, polytechnic institution, committed to
exceptional student learning and success that has adopted an
instructional approach of 'active learning. active life' and a
culture of innovation and entrepreneurship. We seek faculty and
staff committed to creating an active, applied and career-oriented
learning environment that is student-centered. Established in 1911
as a community college and in 2013 as a state university, our
university is located in picturesque southwestern Utah with its red
rocks, desert climate, over 300 days of sunshine annually, and
featuring easy access to world-class outdoor recreational
opportunities. The nearest metropolitan area is Las Vegas, NV (120
miles), with amenities such as an international airport and
professional sporting teams. Click here to learn more about the
Utah Tech University is a fast-growing Utah public institution of
higher education, with more than 12,000 students. We offer over 230
programs, including masters, bachelors, associates, certificates,
endorsements, minors, and/or emphases. We seek to recruit and
retain diverse and ambitious faculty and staff who bring new ideas,
possess values and career aspirations aligned with the mission and
vision, and are inspired to build a premier open, inclusive,
comprehensive, polytechnic university. Utah Tech University is an
Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer; the President and
employees of the University are fully committed to Affirmative
Action and within its programs and activities, including in
admissions and employment. Utah Tech does not discriminate or
tolerate discrimination, including harassment, based on race,
color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information,
sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability,
status as a protected veteran, or any other status protected by
University policy, Title IX, or any other federal, state or local
The following individuals have been designated to handle inquiries
regarding the application of Title IX and its implementing
regulations and/or the University’s non-discrimination
For further information regarding non-discrimination, please visit
- U.S. Department of Education, Office of Assistant Secretary for
Civil Rights, email@example.com ,
- U.S. Department of Education, Denver Regional Office, firstname.lastname@example.org ,
The University provides key institutional information regarding
Academics, Campus Safety, Student Services, Employment Laws, and
other requirements per the Higher Education Act and other consumer
information requirements to prospective students, students, UT
employees, and prospective employees online at https://utahtech.edu/right-to-know/
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required
to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and
to complete the required employment eligibility verification.