Extension Nutrition and Youth Program Associate - Dallas County
- University of Missouri - Columbia
- Missouri, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Mar 29, 2023
- Position Type
- Faculty Positions, Social & Behavioral Sciences, Human Development & Family Sciences, Administrative, Academic Affairs, Cooperative & Experiential Education, Curriculum & Instructional Development, Extension Services, Business & Administrative Affairs, Community Relations & Institutional Outreach
- Employment Type
- Full Time
University of Missouri (MU) Office of Extension and Engagement - Nutrition, Home & Families Department
4-H Center for Youth Development - Dallas County
MU TITLE: Educational Program Associate I
LOCATION: Dallas County - Buffalo, MO
The University of Missouri (MU) Office of Extension and Engagement's distinct land-grant mission is to improve lives, communities and economies by producing relevant, reliable and responsive educational strategies throughout Missouri. Our dedicated and knowledgeable faculty and staff collaborate with researchers and community leaders to develop and deliver programs that address the needs of Missourians including educational attainment; environmental concerns; community, economic, business and workforce development; global food systems; and health systems. For more information about MU Extension and Engagement, please visit http://extension.missouri.edu .
The University of Missouri Extension 4-H Center for Youth Development provides leadership and expertise with developing communities of young people across Missouri who are learning citizenship, leadership, and life skills. 4-H is publicly supported by county, state, and federal partners, as well as private resources to enrich the learning experiences of both youth and adults. Nutrition, Home & Families Extension programs promote optimal well-being of individuals, families, and communities, with special recognition for the needs of vulnerable populations. For more information about the two program areas can be found at http://4h.missouri.edu/ and extension.missouri.edu/programs/fnep.
This position will teach basic nutrition, food safety, and physical activity concepts to low-income Missourians. It will assist in the planning, management, and support of 4-H Youth Development programs in the assigned geographic area, under the guidance and supervision of the 4-H Youth Development Specialist.
- Advocate for positive youth development in the community and MU
- Promote and market expanding 4-H programs, including reaching
new audiences with school partnerships and events open to the
- Assist with coordination and planning, management, marketing,
implementing and evaluation of researched based curriculum that has
an emphasis on Leadership and Civic Engagement, as well as other
career exploration topics
- Assist in coordination and planning, management, marketing,
implementing and evaluation of STEM programming involving partner
- Ability and willingness to learn and implement hands-on
learning that has an emphasis on Leadership and Civic Engagement;
College and Career Exploration; and science, technology,
engineering, and math (STEM).
- Assist in the implementation of a total volunteer management
- Assist in teaching youth development and selected subject
- Assist in the management of financial and in-kind
- Coordinate and/or conduct educational events, contests, camps,
and programs utilizing a positive youth development approach.
- Report accomplishments and impacts to appropriate sources
including supervisor, funders, and stakeholders.
- Assist with record keeping and report preparation of 4-H Youth
- Ensure that all the youth and adults in the county have an
equal opportunity to participate in extension programs.
- Participate in training and professional development
opportunities for continued in knowledge, skills, and abilities as
it is related to the 4-H Youth Development program
- Conduct all activities in accordance with the Civil Rights
Acts, Title IX, Rehabilitation, Americans with Disabilities Act and
local, state and region affirmative action plans.
- As with all positions, involvement with other duties and
responsibilities may be expected in order to support the mission
and purpose of MU Extension.
Administrative supervision is received from the assigned Field Specialist, and the Education Directors for 4-H Youth Development and Nutrition, Health & Families will provide programmatic guidance. This position is not responsible for supervision.
CORE ATTRIBUTES FOR MU EXTENSION STAFF
- Exhibit a high personal standard of excellence, be an effective team player, and demonstrate inclusivity, civility and respect for all.
- Engage stakeholders and learners; maintain positive interpersonal relationships, and exhibit effective written and oral communication skills.
- Operate with minimal guidance, and be a self-directed learner who is flexible and adaptable to changing environments.
- Ensure all youth and adults in the county have an equal opportunity to participate in extension programs which offer a safe environment.
The University of Missouri, also known as Mizzou and MU, is the Flagship University of the four-campus University of Missouri system. It is the state’s land-grant university and one of the most comprehensive universities in the United States. MU’s broad undergraduate programs and its’ graduate, professional and research programs attract annual enrollment of more than 30,000 students. MU is centrally located in Columbia, MO, which is consistently ranked as one of America’s most livable cities. MU Extension and Engagement programs are located on all four campuses and in 114 counties and St. Louis city.
Salary Range: $14.00 - $16.00 hourly
University Title: Educational Program Associate I
Internal applicants can determine their university title by accessing the Talent Profile tile in myHR.
Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Ability to travel and work flexible hours, including some evenings and weekends, is required to fulfill assigned responsibilities.
An Associates' Degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience and some experience from which comparable knowledge and skills can be acquired is necessary.
ASSOCIATES WILL BE EVALUATED ON
- Associate Degree or sixty (60) hours college credit, with an
emphasis in Nutrition, Education, Human Development, Social Work,
Consumer & Family Sciences, Public Health, or
- Experience in group work that involved direct care and
interaction with children, such as YMCA, day care, schools,
recreational facilities etc. may be substituted on a year-for-year
basis for the stated education.
- A minimum of six hours in one or more of the domains of the 4-H
Professional, Research, Knowledge and Competency Taxonomy (PRKC)
for youth development. Domains are youth and adult development,
learning strategies and education, organizational systems and
resource management, community partnerships and volunteerism.
- Ability to travel and to work flexible hours including evenings
and weekends is required to fulfill assigned
- A yearly Plan of Work based on locally identified needs
- Ability and willingness to learn and implement hands-on
learning that has an emphasis on science, technology, engineering
and math (STEM).
- Ability to effectively use social media and information
technology including a variety of Windows based computer software
- Ability to remain organized, accurate, and dependable with a
positive attitude and willingness to work as part of a team.
- Demonstration of strong communication skills when identifying
and working with partners, youth, volunteers and community
members/organizations to provide a quality program.
- Marketing, promotion and evaluation of programs offered.
- Use of creativity, problem solving and the ability to think on
- Ability to understand, synthesize and communicate relevant
information to diverse audiences.
- Ability to recruit, develop and train youth and adults as
volunteer leaders to assist with the implementation of the 4-H
- MU is fully committed to achieving the goal of a diverse and
inclusive academic community of faculty, staff and students. We
seek individuals who are committed to this goal and our core campus
values of respect, responsibility, discovery, and excellence.
This position is eligible for University benefits. The University offers a comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental and vision plans, retirement, paid time off, and educational fee discounts. For additional information on University benefits, please visit the Faculty & Staff Benefits website at http://www.umsystem.edu/totalrewards/benefits
We value the uniqueness of every individual and strive to ensure each person’s success. Contributions from individuals with diverse backgrounds, experiences and perspectives promote intellectual pluralism and enable us to achieve the excellence that we seek in learning, research and engagement. This commitment makes our university a better place to work, learn and innovate.
In your application materials, please discuss your experiences and expertise that support these values and enrich our missions of teaching, research and engagement.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Equal Opportunity is and shall be provided for all employees and applicants for employment on the basis of their demonstrated ability and competence without unlawful discrimination on the basis of their race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable state or federal law. This policy shall not be interpreted in such a manner as to violate the legal rights of religious organizations or the recruiting rights of military organizations associated with the Armed Forces or the Department of Homeland Security of the United States of America. For more information, call the Director of Employee and Labor Relations at 573-882-7976.
To request ADA accommodations, please call the Director of Accessibility and ADA at 573-884-7278.
Know Your Rights
To read more about Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) please use the following links:
- Know Your Rights English Version
- Know Your Rights Spanish Version
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert