Associate Provost for Faculty and Academic Excellence
- Empire State University
- New York, United States
- Salary Commensurate with experience
- Posted Date
- Mar 30, 2023
- Position Type
- Administrative, Academic Affairs, Academic Administration
- Employment Level
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Founded in 1971 as the innovative campus of the State University of New York (SUNY), Empire State University empowers learners from diverse backgrounds to achieve their educational goals. We have decades of experience providing educational access through online teaching and learning, individualized instruction, mentoring, and prior learning assessment. We build on our students' experiences to promote their growth and drive upward mobility and economic development in New York state and beyond. SUNY Empire's 95,000 alumni are teachers, nurses, entrepreneurs, and leaders in their communities and their fields. Visit www.sunyempire.edu and follow us on social media @SUNYEmpire.
SUNY Empire is committed to creating a multicultural, inclusive academic and work environment. All qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. We believe that having diverse faculty and staff is critical to academic excellence and prepares students to live and work in an increasingly global world.
Empire State University invites applications for an Associate Provost for Faculty and Academic Excellence. This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced professional to join a newly reorganized academic leadership team poised to embrace the energy of a new president, new strategic plan, and pending ascendance to university status to advance SUNY Empire's mission and vision of being a leader in accessible, flexible, and leader centered education in New York State, nationally, and internationally. This is a critical leadership position responsible for ensuring the quality of teaching, learning, and scholarship at SUNY Empire through effective professional development of faculty and professional staff and high-quality services and support.
The successful candidate will directly oversee the institutions' teaching and learning center (i.e, The Center for Mentoring Learning and Academic Innovation), instructional design and educational technology services (i.e., Empire Online), the library, support and coordination of professional advisement, and sponsored programs.
The AP for Academic Effectiveness will be strategic, collaborative, and data-driven with the organizational and interpersonal skills to lead a diverse team of professionals across the State of New York.
Job responsibilities will include:
- Lead the collaborative development and implementation of a comprehensive faculty development strategy;
- Provide strategic leadership for SUNY Empire support of online and distance learning;
- Serve as the academic liaison for labor management matters;
- Collaborate with stakeholders across the university to actualize the institution's goal of increasing faculty and staff diversity, equity, and inclusion;
- Lead the enhancement of SUNY Empire's support for faculty research & scholarship.
- A terminal degree from an accredited U.S. Institution or comparable non-U.S. institution;
- Qualifications to hold a faculty appointment at the associate or full professor rank;
- 5 or more years of progressive leadership experience in higher education;
- Experience with shared governance and unionized environments;
- Demonstrated effectiveness in promoting DEI in academic affairs;
- Evidence of an ability to work effectively, engage, and develop rapport with individuals from diverse backgrounds;
- Excellent communication, both oral and written, and interpersonal skills.
- A terminal degree in an area related to the scope of responsibility;
- Experience as an academic dean;
- Experience with labor management;
- Experience leading successful faculty development initiatives;
- Documented accomplishments promoting DEI;
- Documented success in securing extramural funding;
- Experience with online, open access, and/or working learner institutions; and
- Experience with division/department budgeting and planning.
- This position requires a physical presence in Saratoga Springs, NY;
- Occasional travel to SUNY Empire locations and events may be required;
- VISA sponsorship is not available for this position.
Rank/Salary: Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Empire State University is an EOE employer.
We are pleased to offer our employees a generous compensation and benefits package. We also offer professional-development activities for professionals and support staff, as well as faculty-development opportunities that encourage pursuit of disciplinary and community-focused research, scholarship of teaching and learning, and leadership development.
IF YOU NEED A DISABILITY-RELATED ACCOMMODATION, PLEASE CALL THE ADA COORDINATOR AT (518) 587-2100, ext. 2240. IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE TITLE II CRIME AWARENESS AND SECURITY ACT, A COPY OF OUR CRIME STATISTICS IS AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST BY CALLING (518) 587-2100, ext. 2800. IT CAN ALSO BE VIEWED ON-LINE AT THE SAFETY AND SECURITY WEBSITE AT www.sunyempire.edu/safety-security/.
Applications Due By: Applications accepted until position is filled.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please submit the following documents, which are required for consideration by clicking on the APPLY NOW button:
- Cover letter
- Name and contact information of three references
See the FAQ for using our online system. Please contact us if you need assistance applying through this website.
Returning Applicants - Please click here to login to your Empire State University Employment Account to check your completed application or to update your account.
SUNY'S LEADING ONLINE INSTITUTION
Founded in 1971 as the innovative campus of the State University of New York, Empire State University empowers learners from diverse backgrounds to achieve their educational goals. We have decades of experience providing educational access through online teaching and learning, individualized instruction, mentoring, and prior learning assessment. We are SUNY’s leading online institution and New York state’s only public online institution.
SUNY Empire serves 16,000 students across New York state, the region, and the world. The institution specializes in high-quality, flexible, affordable education for working adults, including parents, veterans, and military-affiliates. Our 95,000 alumni are teachers, nurses, entrepreneurs, and leaders in their communities and their fields.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert