Provost at the American University of Bahrain
- American University Of Bahrain
- Riffa, Kingdom of Bahrain
- Commensurate with education and experience
- Posted Date
- Mar 30, 2023
- Position Type
- Faculty Positions, Administrative, Academic Affairs, Academic Administration, Chief Academic Officers & Vice Presidents, Faculty Affairs, Deans, Executive, Provosts
- Employment Level
- Employment Type
- Full Time
American University of Bahrain (AUBH)
The American University of Bahrain (AUBH) seeks a Provost and Chief Academic Officer. Opened in September 2019, AUBH is the first comprehensive American-style coeducational university in Bahrain and is supported through the Mumtalakat portfolio (https://mumtalakat.bh/industry/elm-fund/). The modern 19-acre (75,000 square-meter) purpose-built campus is constructed to accommodate 3,500 students. The University is governed by an international board of distinguished academic and business leaders. Through its colleges of Engineering, Multimedia & Design, and Business, AUBH offers bachelor’s and master’s degrees in American-style career-oriented STEM and business curricula. The University is accredited by the Western Senior Colleges and Universities Commission (WSCUC) and licensed by Bahrain’s Higher Education Council of the Ministry of Education. An interactive campus video tour and additional information are available at www.aubh.edu.bh.
Reporting directly to the AUBH President, the Provost is an ambassador of the University and implements the strategic vision and direction for the instructional framework and pedagogy of AUBH’s academic programs. The Provost is the leader, spokesperson, and resident expert on curriculum, instruction, pedagogy, and technological aspects of teaching and learning intended to nurture engagement for student retention and satisfaction of course, program and institutional outcomes. A key responsibility is to develop and deliver an American-style experience, employing innovative teaching and learning tools focused on career-oriented and employment-ready graduates equipped with the skills and knowledge required to advance the economies and societies in which they operate. The Provost will manage the recruitment, development, and training of the faculty corps, lead program development, library, academic governance, applied research, and coordination with academic partners.
KEY roles and RESPONSIBILITIES
Talent Management and Professional Learning
- Recruits and maintains qualified, competent, and dynamic faculty.
- Builds and leads an effective, innovative academic services department to continually improve instructional practices.
- Develops and creates professional development and training activities and programs.
- Assesses team and individuals’ skills, identifies development needs, and provides feedback and support to improve practice, build capacity, and maximize talent.
- Develops and implements compelling and forward-looking curricula, instruction, and professional development.
- Applies research and best practices to inform theories of pedagogy and ensure consistent delivery of high-quality instruction aligned with key standards.
- Leads academic partnership development and initiatives.
- Assumes leadership role on the President’s Council for assisting with long-range strategic planning, and developing system-wide budgets, plans, policies, and activities.
- Works collaboratively with cross-departmental teams in Research and QA, Student Services and Affairs, IT, Marketing, PR, Enrollment, Business Development, Admissions, and Human Resources for effective delivery of instructional programs and services, faculty and student recruiting, and scholarship awards.
- Collaborates with community, business, embassy, regulatory, and other representatives, and administrators to provide support for a variety of university activities and programs.
Influence and Leadership
- Demonstrates belief in and holds self and others accountable for reaching high academic achievement of all students.
- Secures buy-in for a clear and compelling vision.
- Demonstrates leadership presence that gains the confidence of others.
- Comfortable pushing a group’s thinking and challenging ideas to enable better decisions.
- Skillfully navigates departmental structures, relationships, and dynamics to improve the success and reputation of the institution.
- Actively listens to others, understands nuance, and effectively interprets motivations/perceptions.
- Communicates an effective tailored message for the audience, context, and mode of communication.
- Builds positive relationships and coalitions.
- Maintains visibility and works collaboratively with diverse stakeholders at all levels.
- Builds and leads effective teams to achieve ambitious goals.
- Assesses team and individuals’ skills, identifies development needs, and provides feedback and supports to improve practice, build capacity, and maximize talent.
Strategic Planning and Effective Execution
- Proactively offers innovative solutions to issues and problems.
- Demonstrates critical-thinking skills and the ability to analyze data, identify trends, and diagnose root causes.
- Exhibits a focus on goals/results and sets clear metrics for success.
- Demonstrates project management skills, including close attention to detail, ability to balance the big picture with detailed steps to reach the end goal, and ability to balance multiple projects under tight deadlines.
- Continuously monitors progress and demonstrates persistence to overcome obstacles to achieve goals.
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE / QUALIFICATIONS
- A record of improving academic outcomes and growing enrollment.
- Ten years of supervisory/administrative/management experience in higher education/university administration.
- Knowledge of academic accommodation, governance, and assessment.
- Expertise in global best educational practices in teaching and learning.
- Expertise in US institutional and programmatic accreditation.
- Doctoral degree and experience in American-style administration, regulation, and teaching.
- Fluency in English.
- International experience is a plus.
Applications, Nominations, and Inquiries
AUBH, invites confidential applications, nominations, and inquiries. Compensation and benefits are competitive. Citizens of countries that tax world-wide income, such as the US, may qualify for favorable tax treatment; there are no local taxes. Applications, including a current CV and letter explaining interest and relevant experience, should be submitted to directly Human.Resources@aubh.edu.bh
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert