- Santa Fe College
- Gainesville, Florida
- Posted Date
- Mar 29, 2023
- Position Type
- Administrative, Business & Administrative Affairs, Facilities Management & Physical Plant
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Please apply here: https://www.schooljobs.com/careers/sfcollege/jobs/3981443/plant-mechanic?pagetype=jobOpportunitiesJobs
Application Deadline: Friday, April 14, 2023
Salary & Benefits: Salary is $41,439.44. Compensation package is comprised of many college paid benefits including health and life insurance, retirement, leave time, and tuition waivers for Santa Fe College and the University of Florida.
Classification: Full-time, Career Service, Pay Grade C7, Non-Exempt
Location: Northwest Campus, 3000 NW 83rd Street, Gainesville, Florida, 32606.
Overview: Santa Fe College (SF) has been recognized as one of the top-rated community colleges in the United States. Santa Fe College is a student-centered institution with a commitment to open access, academic excellence, and cultural and ethnic diversity. Santa Fe College is a comprehensive public college that offers a range of Bachelor’s degrees, Associate in Arts, Associate in Science and Associate in Applied Science degree options, as well as Certificate and Non-Degree programs. A high quality of life, temperate climate, proximity to the University of Florida, diverse cultural events, and plentiful recreational opportunities make SF and Gainesville an ideal community to work and live. SF enrolls over 16,000 students each semester, retains and completes over 60% of students every academic year, while over 10% transfer into the University system.
The Plant Mechanic is responsible for performing general maintenance and repair work involving the skills of two or more trades occupations in order to keep facilities, equipment and mechanical equipment in repair at one or more of the college’s educational centers and/or the main campus. While this position is not supervisory in nature, it serves as the lead and will give direction in maintenance and repairs projects and work orders. This position also works with other trades employees at the college to ensure that all specifications are met and to ensure efficient and successful completion of each project or work order.
Responsibilities and Duties include:
• Serves as the lead in providing general maintenance for assigned Santa Fe College educational center locations, which may include unique educational center features.
• Maintain interior and exterior upkeep for all buildings, providing a neat, clean, and safe environment for faculty, staff, students, and visitors.
• Proactively inspect facilities, systems, rooms and common areas daily; troubleshoot and repair basic carpentry, plumbing, lighting and electrical problems. May include painting and ground maintenance as well as other light carpentry assignments.
• As Lead, perform routine and preventative maintenance; test machinery and diagnose malfunctions and report and findings or issues and determine how to correct them, including checking blueprints, repair manuals or parts catalogs.
• Troubleshoot and complete basic maintenance on HVAC equipment including monthly filter changes and scheduled preventative maintenance; diagnose and resolve technical hardware and software issues on Building Automation System through system knowledge and research using available resources.
• Practice proper work methods and techniques; comply with applicable industry standards and specifications; enforce safety regulations to ensure compliance in providing a safe environment; provide routine inspections of facilities to monitor needed repairs.
• Practice personal safety and vigilance in the identification of safety or security hazards to actively support and enforce a safe and hazard free working environment.
• Assist employees with special projects and events as time permits and does not conflict with main duties surrounding general maintenance.
• Work from aerial lift and elevated platforms up to 65 feet.
• Assist with ordering, maintaining and organizing supplies in storage areas.
• Liaison with outside contractors and trades personnel completing work on-site at assigned educational centers locations.
• Assists the Remote Operations Manager by leading work crews and coordinating the work of temporary maintenance employees located at assigned educational center locations.
• Assist with fire and building inspections on a regularly scheduled basis.
• Act as safety representative for the center, keeping record of keys and alarm codes.
• Comply with all published College Rules, procedures, guidelines, and laws/regulations governing public employees, including but not limited to those related to document retention and destruction, FERPA, and confidentiality.
• Provide service excellence through courteous, informed, accessible, and professional engagement.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Reports to: Remote Operations Manager
Required: High school diploma or equivalent. Certification from a recognized HVAC, electrical or plumbing vocational or trade school or a Journeyman Certificate of Competency or higher and two years of related commercial work experience, or six years of related work experience.
Preferred: Experience with energy management. EPA-Universal refrigerant license is also preferred.
Additional Requirements: Applicants must have a valid Florida driver license and be authorized to drive for the college. Applicants must also have the ability to work in confined or tight spaces. A criminal background check will be conducted.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Communication – able to effectively communicate in a professional, diplomatic, empathetic, and tactful manner using preferred method and level as applicable to the job.
• Team Orientation & Interpersonal – highly motivated team player with ability to develop and maintain collaborative relationships with all levels within and external to the organization.
• Results Orientation – proven ability to set and exceed established targets.
• Ability to work successfully in a multi-cultural environment.
• Organization & Time Management – able to plan, schedule, organize, and follow up on tasks related to the job to achieve goals within or ahead of established time frames.
• Adaptability to Change – able to be flexible and supportive, able to positively and proactively assimilate change in rapid growth environment.
• Analytical Aptitude & Problem Solving - proven skills in identifying issues, developing creative solutions and options, and following through with implementing resolutions; able to make well-reasoned, sensible and timely decisions based on careful, objective review and informed analysis of available information, considerations and other factors.
• Relationship Management – able to personally provide high level of interactive service to others, building relationships and addressing identified needs.
• Systems & Software - proficient level of knowledge of Microsoft Office and/or relevant position software programs.
• Ethics – able to demonstrate integrity, professionalism, civility, and a high degree of ethics in all job-related actions.
Application Process: All applicants must submit a completed online SF Employment Application, a letter of intent, an up-to-date resume, as well as academic transcripts to be considered for this position. Unofficial transcripts are only accepted for review purposes, official transcripts are required prior to any offer of employment being made.
If you are a retiree of the Florida Retirement System (FRS), please check with the FRS on how your current benefits will be affected if you are re-employed with the State of Florida. Your current retirement benefits may be canceled, suspended or deemed ineligible depending upon the date of your retirement.
Santa Fe College is committed to an environment that embraces diversity, respects the rights of all individuals, is open and accessible, and is free of harassment and discrimination based on, but not limited to, ethnicity, race, creed, color, religion, age, disability, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity and sexual orientation), marital status, national origin, genetic information, political opinions or affiliations, and veteran status in all its programs, activities and employment. http://www.sfcollege.edu/eaeo/
Inquiries regarding non-discrimination policies or concerns about discrimination or harassment, including concerns about sexual harassment or sexual violence under Title IX, should be directed to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Santa Fe College reserves the right to extend deadlines and/or not to offer advertised positions.
Preference will be given to eligible veterans and spouses of veterans.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert